Menu

Capsule wardrobe for spring, have you done it or working on it?

Soror

I'm finally close enough to my regular size I want to invest in some clothes, I've hardly had anything at all period, let alone the right size. So, I'm very excited to update everything. I'm trying to buy some simple and/or classic pieces with a few fun things mixed in there.

So far I have:

pants-

Black skinny pants

dark blue skinny jeans

navy blue linen pants

skirts-

black knit maxi skirt

black knit skirt past knees

navy chambray a-line skirt

gray and floral knit skirts above the knee

shirts-

black tunic top (thin)

white w/ lace short sleeve blouse- fitted at bottom

short sleeve black w/ gray blouse

green split back top(wear w/ white fitted tank under)

various colors tanks(navy, white, black and some others although I need to do an inventory to see what I've got that's still presentable for public)

gray knit shrug(can't think of what its called- like a thin jacket or cardigan but knit and open w/ no buttons)

shoes-

silver thong sandals

gray yoga sling flip flops (casual)

gray canvas slip-ons

black ballet flats

brown ballet flats

gray ballet flats

I have 1 semi-decent tshirt but the rest have various spots or holes so I'd like to get 2-3 in some bright colors(I need some more color but I keep trying things on but not finding anything that I really like). Would also like a pair of brown sandals (thinking of these or these) and another skirt and some kind of pants, maybe some cropped pants? 

Anyone have some must have pieces you have or are looking for? I'm a simple kind of gal but I'm looking to be a little dressy these days- thus why I have bought actual blouses instead of just my usual fitted t's and tanks which are my usual uniform.

I have been doing capsule wardrobes for a few years.  I mostly choose dresses so I can pick one piece (plus maybe a sweater, jacket, or blazer) rather than multiples.  This year I added some more maxi skirts (pretty colors in an awesome sale), and some pencil skirts because DH loves them on me.

I mostly buy shoes in black patent, brown leather, and nude patent, and use matching purses (a straw clutch for the nude).

I'm currently working on getting real, not costume, semi-precious gemstone jewelry to match each outfit.  Those are expensive to buy so I'm making them myself.  It actually works out cheaper than department store costume jewelry if I wait to get the beads on sale.

I've been losing weight recently and I think when I get down to my goal size (4) instead of shopping I might try sewing an entire wardrobe for myself.

• Like 5

I have a capsule for work, based around pairs of black and grey trousers, and wrap tops.  The rest of my life is not up for capsuling.  Today I will wear:

7-9: Lined decent-looking trousers, camisole, flannel shirt and fleece (we don't run much heating at this time of year)

9-11: Book group - coloured chinos, toning new t-shirt and light-weight sweater

11-3: ancient hiking trousers and t-shirt for working in the garden

3-6: change to ancient lined jeans and flannel shirt to carry on working in the garden as the temperature drops

6-11: back to the decent lined trousers after a shower

• Like 1

I do need some nude shoes, I've got some leather mocassins that are nudish but they are not dressy at all, need some dressy one. I have just 2 dresses, one little black dress which is dressy enough I've only wore it 1 or 2x(bought it last year) and a teal knit dress that needs to be hemmed, the length is just wrong on me. I wouldn't mind a few more dresses. I don't carry a purse or usually wear jewelry unless it is really special occasion, although I wouldn't mind a few pieces, I have a set of pearls and some random stuff.

I have been doing capsule wardrobes for a few years.  I mostly choose dresses so I can pick one piece (plus maybe a sweater, jacket, or blazer) rather than multiples.  This year I added some more maxi skirts (pretty colors in an awesome sale), and some pencil skirts because DH loves them on me.

I mostly buy shoes in black patent, brown leather, and nude patent, and use matching purses (a straw clutch for the nude).

I'm currently working on getting real, not costume, semi-precious gemstone jewelry to match each outfit.  Those are expensive to buy so I'm making them myself.  It actually works out cheaper than department store costume jewelry if I wait to get the beads on sale.

I've been losing weight recently and I think when I get down to my goal size (4) instead of shopping I might try sewing an entire wardrobe for myself.

Have you seen the "6 PAC" sewalongs on Artisan's Square sewing forum? Every season they have a sewalong to make a capsule wardrobe for that season. I never have managed to do it, but I love planning and reading along.

I'm still working out my casual capsule wardrobe, but my dress clothes are all able to be mixed & matched because I picked a color scheme a couple years ago & I've stuck with it. I'm on the hunt for a pair of nude flats (and my black ones need replaced) but apparently I'm crazy picky when it comes to flats.

• Like 1

Have you seen the "6 PAC" sewalongs on Artisan's Square sewing forum? Every season they have a sewalong to make a capsule wardrobe for that season. I never have managed to do it, but I love planning and reading along.

I'm still working out my casual capsule wardrobe, but my dress clothes are all able to be mixed & matched because I picked a color scheme a couple years ago & I've stuck with it. I'm on the hunt for a pair of nude flats (and my black ones need replaced) but apparently I'm crazy picky when it comes to flats.

No, but thanks for the tip!  I'll definitely check them out.  I got my last two pairs of nude flats at DSW.  They tend to last about two years.  I'm weirdly picky when it comes to flats too.  My toes are wide, arches are high, and heels are narrow.  It makes flats that fit hard to find.

I dress pretty neutrally and go for fun shoes/scarves/jewelry. Mostly purchased cheaply knowing it'll be the trendy thing I have.

I must have white t-shirts in a couple styles. I add a bright cardigan/jacket/ scarf to mix it up. I also love a denim and white button down. I usually look for one really wild or graphic shirt or skirt. Just one wild card.

I've been pulling out my Spring clothes since it's finally getting a little warm.

1 grey maxi

1 boyfriend jeans

1 black skinny jeans

1 pair khaki

1 wheat dress pant

1 striped 3/4 length t

2 white t-s, one plain, one nicer

1 black t

1 white button down

1 wheat light summer sweater-baggy

1 wheat cardigan

1 purple cardigan

1 denim dress

1 striped dress

I have black gladiator sandals, red slides, black flats, 3 pair converse, brown/leopard slip on.

This is all last year's stuff. I'm looking for new sandals but will wait until post Mem Day because it will all go on sale.

• Like 1

I did a big closet purge maybe two months ago (still could refine this a bit) and keep an index card in my wallet with things I'm hoping to add to my wardrobe in the next year.  It keeps me a little more focused on filling wardrobe gaps and purchasing pieces I really would get more wear out of.

I do a lot of jeans and tees with a blazer, button downs with jeans, fitted ankle length pants (jcrew minnies), ballet flats, pointed toe flats, casual skirts, and dresses.  I need 2-3 more casual day dresses but haven't found exactly what I want yet.  I need a nice pair of white jeans but haven't found the right ones  yet. I would also like a tote bag and clutch.  I could use 2 woven (vs knit) type tops.

I still have a GC for Macys from MIL that I need to spend at some point.  I am looking at Skagen watches or a Kut from the Kloth denim jacket.

A few months ago for spring/summer I bought some new tees (madewell), an athleta swim suit, 2 prs of Ann Taylor shorts in a style I bought last year and liked.  Also a dress from Target, two barcelona tanks from express.

Good sale going on at Ann Taylor (50% off everything, sitewide FS with no min from what I can see.  They have 40% off practically every week, but usually there is a shipping minimum).  Good for button downs, dressier shorts, etc.  Some of it is too career oriented for my daily life, but there are some nice polished basics.

• Like 2

I have a minimalist wardrobe. I need a 2:1 ratio on tops:bottoms in order to function well. I just bought a new black t-shirt, a new white t-shirt and two very thin cotton long-sleeved shirts for spring and to transition into summer. I am wearing them with white jeans, denim shorts, and two knit a/line knee length skirts. (I have a couple of other shirts, a denim jacket, a cardigan, and a couple of dresses as well.)

• Like 2

Speaking of minimalism...  Are you guys familiar with the new KonMari trend?  It's from a book called

.  (Link is a YouTube presentation by the author, not to the book).

Basically you declutter your home by going through each category of belongings, starting with your clothes.  You pile everything on your bed, go through them, and when you pick each thing up you notice if the object gives you joy or not.  No joy and no need for the item = get rid of it.  That way eventually your entire home is filled only with things that currently give you joy.  She even suggests teaching this method to children.   You got through stages starting with clothing and do photos and keepsakes last...  so by the time you're dealing with sentimental items you're used to the process, you like it, and find it makes you happy rather than dread the task. So far I've only done my closet.

• Like 2

A couple of interesting posts about creating capsule wardrobes:

http://into-mind.com/2014/11/03/10-step-wardrobe-revamp/

http://bridgetteraes.com/2015/04/13/casual-wardrobe-capsule/

I recently really culled my closet & am looking to add in a couple of pieces. Before I do that, though, I'm trying to wear/use some of the stuff I found to decide if I like it enough for the long run & so that I can see what my real, final tally of clothes is.

Some items I might buy this summer:

One or two fun tees

Jeans in a bright color (I'd like emerald green)

Dress (that can be casual or dressed up a little bit as needed; not necessarily a summer item)

Casual slip-ons/sneakers (in a print or bright/fun color; may wait until next summer)

Bathing suit (I have one that still works but would like a new one; may wait until next summer to get one)

One thing I have noticed about my stuff is that I tend to gravitate toward the same few things (jeans, things with stripes). When I read articles about curating your wardrobe, I keep seeing advice to mix it up a bit -- don't have just the same few items/prints over & over; add some variety to give you a lot more choices in creating different looks. So, I'm looking to inject a little of that in my wardrobe.

• Like 4

Speaking of minimalism... Are you guys familiar with the new KonMari trend? It's from a book called

. (Link is a YouTube presentation by the author, not to the book).

Basically you declutter your home by going through each category of belongings, starting with your clothes. You pile everything on your bed, go through them, and when you pick each thing up you notice if the object gives you joy or not. No joy and no need for the item = get rid of it. That way eventually your entire home is filled only with things that currently give you joy. She even suggests teaching this method to children. You got through stages starting with clothing and do photos and keepsakes last... so by the time you're dealing with sentimental items you're used to the process, you like it, and find it makes you happy rather than dread the task. So far I've only done my closet.

There are some people here who might need to go ;)
  • Like 3

There are some people here who might need to go ;)

LOL, perhaps :)

A couple of interesting posts about creating capsule wardrobes:

http://into-mind.com/2014/11/03/10-step-wardrobe-revamp/

http://bridgetteraes.com/2015/04/13/casual-wardrobe-capsule/

I recently really culled my closet & am looking to add in a couple of pieces. Before I do that, though, I'm trying to wear/use some of the stuff I found to decide if I like it enough for the long run & so that I can see what my real, final tally of clothes is.

Some items I might buy this summer:

One or two fun tees

Jeans in a bright color (I'd like emerald green)

Dress (that can be casual or dressed up a little bit as needed; not necessarily a summer item)

Casual slip-ons/sneakers (in a print or bright/fun color; may wait until next summer)

Bathing suit (I have one that still works but would like a new one; may wait until next summer to get one)

One thing I have noticed about my stuff is that I tend to gravitate toward the same few things (jeans, things with stripes). When I read articles about curating your wardrobe, I keep seeing advice to mix it up a bit -- don't have just the same few items/prints over & over; add some variety to give you a lot more choices in creating different looks. So, I'm looking to inject a little of that in my wardrobe.

I tend to gravitate towards neutrals myself and I'm trying to get in some color and patterns, it is hard though. I've been trying stuff on, yet to find anything I love. Well, I did get one sheer top that has an aztecy pattern on it, love it and I forget but I do have a salmon colored sweater I bought last spring/summer. 

I could use another bathing suit too, I don't hardly use one but I'd sure like to finally buy me a nice one that I really like so I might wait on that and spend my money this year on things I use more. 

I need to have the one dress I bought last year hemmed and I want one really fun dress, something I can wear on a date, to church or just if I feel like being girly.

Speaking of minimalism...  Are you guys familiar with the new KonMari trend?  It's from a book called

.  (Link is a YouTube presentation by the author, not to the book).

Basically you declutter your home by going through each category of belongings, starting with your clothes.  You pile everything on your bed, go through them, and when you pick each thing up you notice if the object gives you joy or not.  No joy and no need for the item = get rid of it.  That way eventually your entire home is filled only with things that currently give you joy.  She even suggests teaching this method to children.   You got through stages starting with clothing and do photos and keepsakes last...  so by the time you're dealing with sentimental items you're used to the process, you like it, and find it makes you happy rather than dread the task. So far I've only done my closet.

I've not read her book, the waitlist is forever at my library but I did read some articles by her.

I did thin down my closet, I think it was last year, I had under 33 pieces total for all the seasons when I got done! Thus I've been building up again, trying just to buy stuff I really like. 

I'm at the point that I was thinking of culling again as I don't know that I was brutal enough with my summer clothes. It seems I can never get it done in one go round.

• Like 1

I'm at the point that I was thinking of culling again as I don't know that I was brutal enough with my summer clothes. It seems I can never get it done in one go round.

Me neither!  I just cleaned my closet out a couple weeks ago, and yesterday I looked up at the hangars and realize I still have twice as many shirts as I need.