Menu

Any other ACT takers today?

My 11th grader is taking it today. My 8th grader took it in the fall.

Here's something I learned today: If you want to motivate a child to do well on the ACT, get enough sleep, eat properly and get up and out early that morning, take them on a college visit the day before to a place they love. My daughter was already pretty well prepared, but yesterday's college visit made all these hoops seem a lot more relevant. :D

• Like 5

One of my dd16s is taking it today.  The other will take it in June.

Anyone know if today's scores will be out in time to sign up for another round of the ACT in June if she wants to improve her scores?

Maybe! The deadline for the June test is May 8th, but the late registration deadline goes until the 22nd.

In my experience, test scores are usually available online in 2 weeks or so, but they can take up to 8 weeks. The writing portion usually takes a week or two longer. Barring any delays, you'll probably have scores before those registration deadlines.

My 11th grader is taking it today. My 8th grader took it in the fall.

Here's something I learned today: If you want to motivate a child to do well on the ACT, get enough sleep, eat properly and get up and out early that morning, take them on a college visit the day before to a place they love. My daughter was already pretty well prepared, but yesterday's college visit made all these hoops seem a lot more relevant. :D

That is a good idea!  I'm definitely keeping it in mind in case my 11th grader needs to do a re-take.  Although the day before might not be possible, as her current #1 fave uni is in another state...

• Like 1

Well, I am very glad I have been trained to be places early.  The testing letter said pick up would be around 1215.  I thought we would be waiting around for about 20 or so minutes based off the time we left the house.  We pulled up just before noon and she was outside waiting for us.  She said all her bubbles were filled in, but all of the test had random guessing at the last minute.

Our score goal is a 20.  That's what she needs to do dual enrollment this year.  As a freshman, I hope she can pull it off on the first try.  She said the cramming of geometry concepts down her throat the last 3 weeks helped a ton.  I had her MUS geometry books already here and had her read through the entire text and do the first page for each of the lessons (there's 6 if you aren't familiar with MUS).  She will go back through it and really take the class when she gets her algebra 1 done.

Just dropped off my older two.  I'm hoping it goes well enough.  In particular, I am hoping that they get science scores that are high enough to content schools who are looking for verification of science work. 

I had grand plans of having the eldest do the May or June SAT Subject tests, but there are horrible conflicts with those dates.  So he won't have a chance to take subject tests until the fall.  (Lesson learned, my next son will be taking the Dec subject test so that he can take the Latin exam, which is only given in Dec and June.  I don't want to run up against travel conflicts with him too.)

• Like 1

My ds took this today for hopefully (do they have a fingers crossed emoticon?) the final time.  He took it last year without any preparation just to give us a baseline.  This year we have done practice tests all week, and his scores improved.  Hoping he benefited from that on the actual test.  He feels he did well, however, the English portion had number 60 at the end of a page.  Since a few of the other subjects only have 60 questions, he stopped there.  Realizing he had time left over, he checked and saw the rest of the test.  He was able to finish, but I hope the rushing didn't throw him. (A nail-biting emoticon would be good too.)   : )

Ashley

We just got home! Drove through heavy rain, then they had to move halfway through the test because the roof was leaking. She feels good about it though; let's hope her gut feeling is right. 

She is most worried about the writing section - she is an insanely fast typist, and writing by hand really slows her down. So she'll practice that a lot more if she retakes in June. 

Dd came home with a fever. :(

She finished the test and feels relatively good about it, but we do hope her score isn't affected by her not being entirely well.

That rough.  I'm glad she was able to push through and finish it at least.

• Like 1

8th grader took the non-writing option to cover our state's standardized test requirement.  She said the science was harder than the practice test, but the rest of the sections were easier.  She hasn't learned all the math topics yet so I don't expect a high score.  When I picked her up, she said, "I *really* want to go to school here!"  It would be a good uni for her, I think, so it was great to hear that she's thinking about her future.

11th grader said the writing was super hard and she felt she did poorly on that section and on the math.  We'll see.  I do think that at some point students need to be diligent about making use of the prep book, and take the initiative to thoroughly learn topics they are shaky on.  Crossing one's fingers and hoping for the best isn't always a good approach.  <vent over>

Dd came home with a fever. :(

She finished the test and feels relatively good about it, but we do hope her score isn't affected by her not being entirely well.

I hope she feels better!  If she feels good about the test, it's likely she did well in spite of not feeling 100%.

• Like 1

Can you say more about this please?

Ashley

Arizona State, for example, with use an ACT score to meet one of their competency requirements for science.  https://students.asu.edu/admission/competencies

I think that ACT scores were also a way to meet Uni of California a-g requirements for science.  But I doubt that dss will be applying to UC schools, because I don't have a money tree and we are out of state.

• Like 1

My 8th grader did it to tick off the annual state testing requirement. According to my child, it was difficult, especially the science and math. We knew going in that math would be quite the challenge because we have not done HS geometry. My child guessed on a lot of the math and ran out of time on the reading.  :sad:  We are not expecting a high score, it was more of an opportunity to expose my child to a test of this magnitude and take care of our end of year testing. 

I took my oldest. I felt sorry for the kids who drove themselves. The college had blocked off all the parking that was close at all. And it was raining. Great - struggling to find a parking place and then running through the rain to get to the test building.

My oldest thinks she did okay. She preferred the format of this test over the SAT since they worked on each subject until it was finished vs. jumping around.

Is it typical for students to have just enough time to complete each section of the test?  My son finished each section, but with not much time to spare.  Not sure he would have been able to do that if he hadn't done a couple of practice tests so he could learn to gauge his pace.

Ashley

My 8th grader did it to tick off the annual state testing requirement. According to my child, it was difficult, especially the science and math. We knew going in that math would be quite the challenge because we have not done HS geometry. My child guessed on a lot of the math and ran out of time on the reading.  :sad:  We are not expecting a high score, it was more of an opportunity to expose my child to a test of this magnitude and take care of our end of year testing. 

My DD is going to a summer camp and one of her classes is ACT prep.  I figured it would mean more to her if she had actually seen the test.  We do have a large ACT prep book that I had her take one of the practice tests in (hence knowing I need to cram in some geometry).  I will save the serious prep for her junior year.  I did tell her if by some miracle she scores a 30+, she will never have to take another test.

Is it typical for students to have just enough time to complete each section of the test?  My son finished each section, but with not much time to spare.  Not sure he would have been able to do that if he hadn't done a couple of practice tests so he could learn to gauge his pace.

Ashley

Yes.  I would say the majority of the students are either going to barely finish or not finish each section without some random bubble scrambling.

Ds took it again today. He is a senior and has already been accepted into the college of his choice with the top academic scholarship they offer. However, there was another scholarship he could qualify for (from the state) if his score was one point higher. They gave until this testing to qualify, so we had him try it again to see if one more year of school, one more year of experience, made a difference. We'll see.

Dd will take the ACT for the first time in June.

My 10th and 11th graders both took the ACT for the first time today. One of my boys was surprised that the reading was easier than the science, but thinks he did well overall. The other described the whole test as "more painful than undergoing dental surgery and probably harder than performing it". Not sure whether to  :001_rolleyes: or  :crying: at this point...

• Like 1

My DD is going to a summer camp and one of her classes is ACT prep.  I figured it would mean more to her if she had actually seen the test.  We do have a large ACT prep book that I had her take one of the practice tests in (hence knowing I need to cram in some geometry).  I will save the serious prep for her junior year.  I did tell her if by some miracle she scores a 30+, she will never have to take another test.

Yes.  I would say the majority of the students are either going to barely finish or not finish each section without some random bubble scrambling.

We also have the large ACT prep book and used tests on-line. My child took a practice test for each and one timed test. I didn't want to put a lot of focus on the test because I kept saying, "It really isn't about your score this round. You are in 8th grade, I just want you familiar with the format. Do the best you can." I felt like I couldn't make a really huge deal about preparing for it while saying that. Geometry is not my thing, so I couldn't have added much in the way of cramming, even if I wanted to. Lol That said, when we did the practice tests my child did perform better than I expected on some sections, which was a pleasant surprise. More than anything that gives me hope that with a few more years under the belt and a few more years to mature, I think a solid score is entirely within reach. 

My junior took it today. The proctors did not offer the break after the first two sections, just ran everything back to back...ds said if they had 60 seconds between sections he'd eat his hat! They started at 8 straight up and were done at 11:20 ish. I got there at noon and the poor kid had been waiting a bit.