Menu

Need help with Grammar and writing

momaof3

I have two boys that I will be bringing back home next year after 2yrs in public school.  My oldest will be in 7th grade and is currently in all honors classes in PS.  I am looking for a writing and grammar program that aren't majorly expensive but will get the job done.  My 2nd son is currently in 4th grade but I am realizing that his 3rd grade year in PS was a flop so he is behind and we will be playing catch up.  I am also looking for a good grammar program and wondering if I should worry about writing now or just wait until we get caught up on reading and math.  I loved FLL for my older one when he was in 3rd and we did R&S for 4th but I'm not sure for the younger on.  I will use AAS level 2, which can also be used by my 1st grader. I want to start in the summer with the 10yr old since he has to catch up but I don't know where to start.   Please help!!!!!!!

We used R&S 4 for my 5th grader this year after pulling my kids out of ps last year. We used a grade level lower since he had virtually no grammar instruction in ps. R&S worked well at introducing new concepts at reviewing them. Good luck!

Our favorite: Essentials in Writing http://www.essentialsinwriting.com :)

I looked at EIW and it looks good. I like how it's taught on DVDs so I can work with one child while the other does EIW. I also think that I do want to focus more on writing with some grammar but not grammar overload. Do you think there is enough grammar for my 1st grader also or do I need another grammar program for her?

I really like English Lessons through Literature.  The program includes both writing and grammar instruction using whole classic books, but the grammar doesn't really begin until level 2.  The early levels cover writing through narration, with progym-type writing instruction beginning in level 3.  If you like Charlotte Mason methods, you might really like this program.  Cathy Duffy has a review here.  

I don't think you can go wrong with R&S.  It's thorough, contains lots of review within each grade and from level to level, and includes writing.  I would still supplement the writing with copywork and dictation, but you really wouldn't need a separate program for now.

I have no personal experience but I think the EIW DVD's are meant for the teacher to watch as an instruction in how to teach writing. I also don't think it's meant for 1st grade but more like 3rd or so. We like FLL for lower grade grammar & use it for writing too.

I have no personal experience but I think the EIW DVD's are meant for the teacher to watch as an instruction in how to teach writing. I also don't think it's meant for 1st grade but more like 3rd or so. We like FLL for lower grade grammar & use it for writing too.

No, EIW has short video lessons meant for the student to watch.   Maybe you are thinking of another program?  EIW also has programs for every grade.

We used EIW in 5 & 6 and plan to use it for 7th.   It gets the job done.   I appreciate the videos, I love that I don't have to "teach" the lesson.   It is a straightforward program, and easy to implement.  IMHO there is enough grammar, it's not a grammar heavy program though.

I think you are thinking of IEW which does have videos for the teacher.  EIW does look good if you want to check it out.