Menu

What kind of nut-free vegetarian sandwiches?

cottonmama

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these sandwiches would you most enjoy?

• Cucumber cream cheese
    • Cream cheese and jelly
    • Pimento cheese
    • Other

For recital refreshments.  I want to make something with no nuts or meat.  If you chose other, please post your ideas.   :)

ETA: There will be other people bringing sandwiches, so I don't feel like it needs to meet every constraint out there -- dairy free, kid-friendly, etc.  I just want something that will get eaten.  I know we have vegetarians coming, and the signup sheet specifically said no nuts of any kind.

Also, making a note to myself that if I do jelly, I will need to open a new jar since we are not careful about peanut butter and cross-contamination.

Hubby brings home vegetarian sandwiches from company in-house lunch sometimes. The one I like has sliced red peppers, portobello mushrooms, alfalfa sprouts. Something like the link below

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianbarbecuerecipes/r/portabellasam.htm

I also like vegetarian chicken sandwich but the vegetarian chicken patties are expensive to buy for a party and abit of work to make from scratch.

I thought about adding hummus to my veg, but it contains tahini, and I don't know now much cross-over there is with nut allergy and sesame seeds, and whether the same factories tend to make both tahini and nut butters.

I go back and forth on hummus.  My son is actually the only nut-allergic kid there that I'm aware of, and it would make me nervous if there were, say, pesto sandwiches on the table, especially on the same plate as other things my son might eat or worse, hidden in things I didn't know about, but it would not make me nervous if there were hummus there.  We would just skip the hummus, and a bit of cross contamination between hummus and other things there would be very, very unlikely to cause a problem.

OTOH I don't know how common seed allergies are; if someone's actively allergic to sesame, that would be a problem.  But not knowing that, and knowing that someone could be allergic to almost anything I choose, I don't know that I need to worry about that.  Maybe?

• Like 1

You can make hummus without tahini. I own some old cookbooks (one is Lebanese) and I have recipes called 'hummus with tahini' and 'hummus' that has no tahini. So, it can go either way.

But, either the pimento cheese or the cucumber and cream cheese because I am not my 10 year old who would want the cream cheese and jelly.

But there is also seitan, roasted veggies, chick pea salad (like tuna salad, but made with chick peas), refried beans and salsa in a tortilla roll up, egg salad sandwich,

• Like 2

Don't care much for cream cheese other than the vegan brand, Daiya.

Have a particular revulsion toward pimento cheese, dating from childhood.  :001_smile:

Hummus without tahini leaves me puzzled, so would be glad to hear from Redsquirrel what is used as the "binder".  Thanks!

The "mock tuna salad", also mentioned by Redsquirrel, captures my vote!

Another vote for Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds).  My dd brings a sunbutter-and-jelly sandwich to her nut-free school classroom for lunch, every day.

(That said, I have a ds who is allergic to peanut, tree nut, sesame seeds and....sunflower seeds  :tongue_smilie:.  If possible, label the sandwich tray!)

For recital refreshments. I want to make something with no nuts or meat. If you chose other, please post your ideas. :)

ETA: There will be other people bringing sandwiches, so I don't feel like it needs to meet every constraint out there -- dairy free, kid-friendly, etc. I just want something that will get eaten. I know we have vegetarians coming, and the signup sheet specifically said no nuts of any kind.

Also, making a note to myself that if I do jelly, I will need to open a new jar since we are not careful about peanut butter and cross-contamination.

I'd eat any of those.

And you can't make a sandwich that would satisfy EVERYONE in a potluck situation. Or any category (salad, main dish, dessert, etc). I know I'd make myself crazy if I tried to do that.

feta cheese, cucumber and mint (fresh) please

or roll-ups of cream cheese (mixed with ranch dressing), avocado, tomato, cheese (your choice, montery jack is nice), lettuce. Roll up in WW tortillas and cut in half, pin with cute toothpicks.