Menu

Graduation plans

I know this gets discussed every year and I've been reading the threads for years in preparation, but what are you doing for your graduating seniors this year?

We're planning a graduation party at the student center of his church. We'll be inviting friends and family, presenting him with his diploma in a short ceremony, having cake and I don't know yet what else.

Who else? It is so close and I'm happy for him, sad for me, and nervous about what is next all at the same time!

We took DD to dinner at a very good restaurant. No party.

My dd says no party for her. Dinner at a very good restaurant will be the plan next year.

ETA: although what she really wants is a trip to Hawaii. The nice restaurant seems more likely.  :lol:

Dinner at a nice restaurant for my two middle kids.  Oldest kid wanted a party because he was leaving in just a few days for basic, so we had a small party for him where he hung out with his buddies and they all consumed large amounts of food.

• Like 1

Still talking about it.  He turns 18 within days of the local group graduation ceremony we're doing, so we'll probably combine events.  We usually have a family over that has kids the same age as ours for birthdays.

He definitely wants something small though.  Maybe take the best buds to paintball with pizza after, or have them and their families over.  He doesn't want a big open house like one friend's family always does, and he definitely wants something other than family-only which is what another friend's family does.

We're inviting a few local families to the ceremony, and sending out announcements to everyone else afterwards.  None of our relatives can come anyway.

I'm working on presents too.  Because he's going to college locally, I've got a backpack and smart phone figured out so far.  Guys are always hard though.  

• Like 1

My dd says no party for her. Dinner at a very good restaurant will be the plan next year.

ETA: although what she really wants is a trip to Hawaii. The nice restaurant seems more likely.  :lol:

LOL.  

Mine wants to go shark fishing in the Bahamas like we did summer before last or an overseas trip with Lukeion.

Gotta love their dreams!

• Like 1

We're inviting a few local families to the ceremony, and sending out announcements to everyone else afterwards.  None of our relatives can come anyway.

Our family is tiny. My parents are deceased. When I say family, that means my sister and her 2 kids who may or may not be able to get off work, ds's parents and his brother and SIL.

Mostly, it will be ds's friends and a few of our friends that want to celebrate with us. 

I love hearing people's plans though :).

I'm working on presents too.  Because he's going to college locally, I've got a backpack and smart phone figured out so far.  Guys are always hard though.  

We're going with a new iPad mini for ds to be able to use to take notes on in college. He has practiced with notability on our iPad here. He is dysgraphic, so this is important for him.

He doesn't need a phone or a backpack. He does need a lot more clothes, but he wouldn't want them as a graduation present. I'm not too helpful am I. Maybe other people will add more gift ideas too. :)

For the actual week of graduation, I'd like to take ds to a Japanese Steak House. For graduation we'll do a small ceremony in July when my sister and her family is in town. I plan to issue his diploma, make a touching speech to make me and my mother cry, and offer a few gifts. I'm probably going to buy him a replica Katana and I'm buying him a leather passport wallet and tucking a passport application inside. I may also buy a cherry blossom tree to plant in the yard. I'm going with a "roots and wings" theme

• Like 2

Ds did not want a ceremony. He did want to have fun with friends. So, we are having a party in the church fellowship hall, and bon fire at the pastor's house after. He asked for a taco bar and brownies so that is what we will do. He is going to have a display of his artwork, some of his science fair projects, and examples of his writing. After the "open house", we'll do s'mores around the fire with the teens.

• Like 1

We are having a ceremony and reception at a local event business. They have a beautiful chapel that was built in the 1800s. We'll be able to present her diploma in it and have food in a nearby room. We did a senior drape picture at a portrait studio, but we are doing senior portraits in a couple of weeks with a photographer. She wanted city shots, so we're going into Atlanta. We got her diploma and invitations from homeschooldiploma.com. We haven't decided food yet, but dd wants black, white, and silver decorations. 

I want to display some photos somehow but haven't quite decided how I'm going to do that yet.  

• Like 1

Ds did not want a ceremony. He did want to have fun with friends. So, we are having a party in the church fellowship hall, and bon fire at the pastor's house after. He asked for a taco bar and brownies so that is what we will do. He is going to have a display of his artwork, some of his science fair projects, and examples of his writing. After the "open house", we'll do s'mores around the fire with the teens.

Ds liked the idea of displaying examples of his writing. Thanks for the idea