Menu

History for 6th

parias1126

I'm looking for a history curriculum that can be used independently (for the most part) or with very little guidance from me other than instructing for a few minutes, then checking work when it's completed.

I loved Story of the World just for the reading and questions in the lower grades, although when I used it, I had time to sit with my kids and be crafty. I don't have that luxury any longer and had to bring my son back home from public school because he was being bullied horribly. 

I now have so many other things on my plate (running two businesses and homeschooling two children) and so I need curriculum that is going to take maybe an hour of my time each day (for everything).

My daughter is using HOD which is working wonderfully, but I don't think it would be a great fit for my son as he does not enjoy reading. 

If I used Story of the World and the questions in the activity guide, would this work for a 6th grader? If not, what other suggestions do you have? Bringing him home after this horrible experience with the public school, I want him to have some time to "deschool", but then I don't want him to have absolutely no structure at all either. We are going to start with some devotionals, journaling, history, and science all while slowly trying to catch up on math. History and Science will play a huge part in his reading and writing as well (for now). I don't want to overwhelm him with anything. 

My 6th grader has been using this from Memoria Press this year with good results.  It only takes her about 30 to 40 minutes per day including the reading and writing portions.  It has been completely independent except for the once a week that I sit with her and she shares with me what she's learned over the week. I let her narrate the highlights or parts that she found the most interesting and then we'll go over her student book while I use the TM ... there might be a few questions she wasn't sure about, or I'll randomly ask what she wrote for this or that question.    It's not rigorous or exhaustive by any means but she has actually enjoyed the stories and it's more history than she would have gotten had I had to plan and teach history this year. 

Edited to add:  This dd doesn't care for reading either but each lesson's reading is very short so she knows she can get through it in about 20 minutes or less. 

I signed my son up for the online Memoria Press US History. It will use the text Aime linked to plus a few other sources. The class will meet live once per week and have essays due roughly every two weeks, online quizzes, reading of primary sources, etc. I believe it will cover beginning to modern in one year. My son isn't an avid reader, and this will be good because there are no historical fiction books assigned as go-alongs. I'm expecting it to be 30-45 minutes per day.

HTH!

I really love the look of this! Thank you! 

My 6th grader has been using this from Memoria Press this year with good results.  It only takes her about 30 to 40 minutes per day including the reading and writing portions.  It has been completely independent except for the once a week that I sit with her and she shares with me what she's learned over the week. I let her narrate the highlights or parts that she found the most interesting and then we'll go over her student book while I use the TM ... there might be a few questions she wasn't sure about, or I'll randomly ask what she wrote for this or that question.    It's not rigorous or exhaustive by any means but she has actually enjoyed the stories and it's more history than she would have gotten had I had to plan and teach history this year. 

Edited to add:  This dd doesn't care for reading either but each lesson's reading is very short so she knows she can get through it in about 20 minutes or less. 

• Like 1

Is there a link to find this? I don't see it on their site. 

I signed my son up for the online Memoria Press US History. It will use the text Aime linked to plus a few other sources. The class will meet live once per week and have essays due roughly every two weeks, online quizzes, reading of primary sources, etc. I believe it will cover beginning to modern in one year. My son isn't an avid reader, and this will be good because there are no historical fiction books assigned as go-alongs. I'm expecting it to be 30-45 minutes per day.

HTH!