Menu

I just need some encouragement...

SunnyDays

Went in for my first mammo today.  They took the initial images, then consulted with the radiologist and took a few more images.  Apparently the first image (but not followup) showed some sort of small spot and I need to go back in for an ultrasound tomorrow, and possibly a biopsy if needed. 

The radiologist talked to me and said it didn't look particularly concerning, and that since it was my baseline we just had to be more thorough.  The tech also talked to me and said it's very common and she doesn't think I had anything to worry about, but it's just an extra step to be sure.  She seemed to think it may be a point where some dense breast tissue meets up (I do have a few sections of that) and just looks a little different.

At least I know I'm not alone, as I did a search and found that several boardies have had similar situations over the past few months.  I hope all of yours turned out well.

I know there's a very, very high likelihood that it's nothing at all.  But I had a scare with my pap last time (repeat was fine, thankfully), so I was already tense about things.  And knowing the odds just doesn't always help when it's your body sitting there waiting for follow up. 

Seeking hugs, pats on the head, and possibly someone to drink a martini with me... (Where's the "curled up in fetal position" emoticon when you need it?!?)

ETA:  Update in post #22.  All is well.  :)

• Like 1

I've never had a martini...count me in!

Last fall I was called back and given my family history I was a wreck. I was a total mess.

It ended up fine. The tech said they do so many call backs because they follow up every little thing.

((Hugs))

*takes tentative sip of martini*

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone  I know has had to go back for a followup.  I've done it, more than once.  And yes, I am always scared. 

I don't drink martinis but I'll bring some wine. 

Please remember to follow up here afterward, OK?   :grouphug:

• Like 1

Seeking hugs, pats on the head, and possibly someone to drink a martini with me... (Where's the "curled up in fetal position" emoticon when you need it?!?)

Hugs to you! I'm not looking forward to my first. I have small boobs and I don't know how they're going to do it. 

• Like 1

No worries, girls, wine is good.  As for martinis, I prefer fruity ones that have little alcohol taste!  ;)  (Tea or hot chocolate is most welcome as well.)

I will definitely update tomorrow... and I'd really prefer not to have to wait the weekend for a solid answer.

• Like 2

Sending hugs and a martini.  I have had a call back that turned out to be nothing but it was two weeks of hell waiting and worrying.  Note to doctor: do not leave a message on a poor girls answering machine on a Friday afternoon before a three day weekend.  If you don't get an answer, hang up and call back on the next work day and also please don't make her wait another two weeks before you can squeeze her in! I'm glad your radiologist seems to be moving things right along.

• Like 1

:grouphug:   They did that to me too, probably because I have history of cancer in my family. It was my sister. So not only did I get called back but they had me come in every 6 months for 2 years to have a mammogram and ultrasound. They told me it was dense tissue but they wanted to be certain it wasn't something more. I was scared every time I went in that they'd find a change. But it was always nothing. Everything was totally fine.

• Like 1

They did that to me too, and it was nothing -except, like, $400, which I'm still bitter about. So maybe, like me, your concern will just turn to bitterness! Greaaat.

Truly, I hope it just goes without incident.

I can't afford a follow up sonogram at this time, so I've been avoiding even getting a mammogram. My insurance used to have a small copay for diagnostic labs and now I have to come up with 100%/$450 deductible!

Went in for my first mammo today. They took the initial images, then consulted with the radiologist and took a few more images. Apparently the first image (but not followup) showed some sort of small spot and I need to go back in for an ultrasound tomorrow, and possibly a biopsy if needed.

The radiologist talked to me and said it didn't look particularly concerning, and that since it was my baseline we just had to be more thorough. The tech also talked to me and said it's very common and she doesn't think I had anything to worry about, but it's just an extra step to be sure. She seemed to think it may be a point where some dense breast tissue meets up (I do have a few sections of that) and just looks a little different.

At least I know I'm not alone, as I did a search and found that several boardies have had similar situations over the past few months. I hope all of yours turned out well.

I know there's a very, very high likelihood that it's nothing at all. But I had a scare with my pap last time (repeat was fine, thankfully), so I was already tense about things. And knowing the odds just doesn't always help when it's your body sitting there waiting for follow up.

(((Hugs))) but it is VERY common especially for baseline. Just happened to my 40 yo friend...she just went back for her 6 month follow up and there was no change and no worries.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

I had a call back, too. I've had a lump before, so I'm one of those whom they watch.

Once I had to leave for vacation (anniversary) before hearing results--anxious vakay not a good thing.

Hoping all turns out very well for you. <3  (That's a heart, not sideways booKs!)

• Like 1

Halftime, you can "mama hen" all you want!  :grouphug:

I got good news today.  They did a very thorough sonogram, and it turns out it was only a small cyst.  She said absolutely nothing to worry about, and just to follow up in six months.  (Since I have no mammo history, they just want to make sure there's no problems and see if it changes.)

Sorry for the reporting delay, but I was enjoying a nice evening outside with my family.  Thanks everyone, for the well wishes and concern.  Helps to know there's always someone around to lend an ear and a shoulder!!  :)

• Like 10

Halftime, you can "mama hen" all you want!  :grouphug:

I got good news today.  They did a very thorough sonogram, and it turns out it was only a small cyst.  She said absolutely nothing to worry about, and just to follow up in six months.  (Since I have no mammo history, they just want to make sure there's no problems and see if it changes.)

Sorry for the reporting delay, but I was enjoying a nice evening outside with my family.  Thanks everyone, for the well wishes and concern.  Helps to know there's always someone around to lend an ear and a shoulder!!  :)

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

:hurray:

glad it turned out fine.

I had 2 mammograms last year for lumps- by the second one the radiologist told me that they could see that my breast tissue is breaking down quickly, leaving lumpy sections that haven't broken down yet because I am pre-menopausal. It was nice of them to tell me that as I no longer worry about the lumps

• Like 1

Woo, hoo! Great to wake up to such good news.  I'm glad you are in the clear and happy that you had a great evening with family.   We were merely productive--which meant spending 30 minutes holding an umbrella over dh while he finished changing some kind of fluid on his car.  Yaay us!   (Spring weather...unpredictable.) 

I'm truly happy and thankful you're ok.  Heck of a way to start getting mammos, right?   My (unsolicited) advice is to be *sure* you do regular self-exams and such. 

• Like 1