Menu

Tomorrow is MCAT day

Seasider

My oldest will be sitting for it. Anyone else have children taking it?

(Seems so weird to say "children," I guess he will always be my child but is now truly an adult.)

Anyway, I will be praying for all of them to have good recall and to not be blind sighted by anything unexpected as they are the first batch of students to take the revised exam.

• Like 6

Best wishes for your guy!  Mine plans to take it over winter break this coming year.  He's taking an extra year at URoc with their Take 5 program (approved free tuition & being an RA gives free room), so won't be applying to med schools until the following year (2 more years of school at this point with his plan).

The new test will certainly make things "interesting."  Did your guy take a prep course?  Many suggest taking them, but my guy isn't sure.  He studied for the ACT by himself and did quite well.

Yes, he did a 3 month prep class, highly recommended by his advisor due to this being the first administration of the "new" test. Lots of practice tests. By the time your guy takes it, it will be less of an unknown.

MCAT is actually rebating ($150, I think?) each test sitter today. "A reward for being the guinea pigs," my son tells me.

• Like 2

I wish the best of luck to him!

If the practice exams and study guides that I've seen are any indication then the MCAT can be a real bear! Just sitting the darn thing can be viewed as a victory because that means he at least feels ready and that can mean a lot.

• Like 1

It was 730am to 330pm. Revisiting the urge to call him now and see how it went.

I will not call, I will not call, I will not call....

He does have a fun evening with friends planned, then we will see him late tonight.

I will not call.

(But I will stalk his Twitter account. So far, crickets.)

• Like 2

It was 730am to 330pm. Revisiting the urge to call him now and see how it went.

I will not call, I will not call, I will not call....

He does have a fun evening with friends planned, then we will see him late tonight.

I will not call.

(But I will stalk his Twitter account. So far, crickets.)

So you're telling me when my guy takes it this winter I'd best not count on him assisting with farm chores first (or later)?   :tongue_smilie:

So you're telling me when my guy takes it this winter I'd best not count on him assisting with farm chores first (or later)? :tongue_smilie:

Oh no, give him a pass! Unless he comes home and just wants to stick a pitchfork into something.

Just talked to ds. He said it was grueling, a "beast of a test." But he said he was as prepared as he could have been, so he will see how the scores shake out. He expects about a 3 month turnaround on scoring.

He is hanging out with friends so I'll get the full scoop later. At least for now mama can stop holding her breath.

• Like 6

Oh no, give him a pass! Unless he comes home and just wants to stick a pitchfork into something.

Hmm, now you have me wondering if this is a potential money making opportunity - offering pitchforks and things to (legally) stick them in after one is finished with the test... 

• Like 5

Hmm, now you have me wondering if this is a potential money making opportunity - offering pitchforks and things to (legally) stick them in after one is finished with the test... 

I love that you felt the need to add "legally" to your post. I take it you won't be offering up the creators of the exam questions.

• Like 2

Creekland, I got the debrief. Son used the Kaplan test prep including the video lectures and test books and practice tests. His advisor recommended this since no one was quite confident of what the new test would look like.

He said that he was glad to have done it all, because it increased his confidence, but in hindsight (knowing what was on the test) he believes he could have done without the video lecture component. Of course your son will want to rely on recommendations of his own advisors, just wanted to share with you what ds thought.

He said it was sort of a surreal experience. He was assigned to a testing room that he described as a police interrogation room, one chair, bare table, one way glass and all. He was not allowed to wear a sweater or jacket, had to store his phone and all his belongings in a locker. His arms and ankles were inspected for ink and to top it off, they wanded him down a la TSA.

He's glad it's over! Doesn't quite know what to do with all the spare time he has, now that the study crunch is done.

• Like 2

He was assigned to a testing room that he described as a police interrogation room, one chair, bare table, one way glass and all. He was not allowed to wear a sweater or jacket, had to store his phone and all his belongings in a locker. His arms and ankles were inspected for ink and to top it off, they wanded him down a la TSA.

Wow, that boggles my mind.

I wish your son every success, Seasider.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Creekland, I got the debrief. Son used the Kaplan test prep including the video lectures and test books and practice tests. His advisor recommended this since no one was quite confident of what the new test would look like.

He said that he was glad to have done it all, because it increased his confidence, but in hindsight (knowing what was on the test) he believes he could have done without the video lecture component. Of course your son will want to rely on recommendations of his own advisors, just wanted to share with you what ds thought.

He said it was sort of a surreal experience. He was assigned to a testing room that he described as a police interrogation room, one chair, bare table, one way glass and all. He was not allowed to wear a sweater or jacket, had to store his phone and all his belongings in a locker. His arms and ankles were inspected for ink and to top it off, they wanded him down a la TSA.

He's glad it's over! Doesn't quite know what to do with all the spare time he has, now that the study crunch is done.

Thanks for his thoughts!!!

And wow!  I figured security would be tight as it's gotten a ton tighter for all of our high school standardized tests, but we're not quite up to inspecting arms/ankles or wanding students yet (and I hope we don't get there)!

Thanks for that heads up.  I'm thinking the pre-med advisors will likely share that with prospective test takers, but just in case they don't, I would think it'd be better going in expecting that to be the norm than being surprised about it.  I'm sure there's already enough stress.

I hope your guy gets terrific scores!

• Like 2