Menu

Bonnie Landry....Homeschooling, simplified series

stm4him

I am really excited about these.  I downloaded all but the orange book on my Kindle app yesterday evening because they were only 3.49 each (or something close to that).  I didn't download the orange because it doesn't come on Kindle for some reason, which is such a bummer.  I read the blue one (dictation) today and am reading the green one (relationships and simplifying) right now.  I have never heard of these.  Anyone else familiar with these?

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/parent-helps/homeschooling-simplified.htm

• Like 2

I read the Dictation booklet today. Although I have been homeschooling using Charlotte Mason's methods for awhile now, I needed the basic reminder this very day to omit unnecessary things from our schedule (dictation being a powerful tool to simplify language arts). The message is similar to the "When More is Less" calendar articles and audio cd from Simply Charlotte Mason: choose activities that are simple but effective ("more simplicity = less confusion" and "more quality = less quantity"). This may be applied to other areas of life. While this booklet was short with minimal info, I am glad I got it.

• 1 month later...

I just read the dictation one thanks to this thread and really enjoyed it. I love the idea of using dictation to replace all other language arts curricula. And also the emphasis on relationship and beauty, which has been a recent focus of mine.

A great little booklet for the minimalists among us. I think I'll be ordering the others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finished reading the whole set. I thought I'd add a quick summary here.

Dictation (blue book): A description of how to do dictation, what all you can cover with dictation, and how it fosters positive relationships and learning. She includes a few samples in the back.

Chocolate Chip Math (yellow book): How to use a yummy staple in the home for elementary math instruction. The author believes you can effectively cover all four operations in one-on-one time using a simple math manipulative. Again, the focus is on learning with an atmosphere of joy and togetherness. This book would be mainly for grades K-3.

Writing With Children (purple book): About the importance of hearing and studying good literature in learning how to write well. She also covers critical thinking and the power of both modelling and using models. She recommends IEW for further comp instruction and mentions a couple other favorite resources as well.

How to Read a Book so it Becomes the Curriculum (orange book): Using literature as a jumping-off point for studying content subjects. Includes ideas for tools, discussion, and research. Key ideas are modelling and wonder. The author is a big fan of reading aloud.

What Matters Most (green book): Landry strongly believes that learning and wonder are the outcomes of good relationships. This book focuses on two things: simplifying life so we have more time and energy for relationships, and ideas for fostering good relationships with our children. She talks about the difference between punishment and discipline and again emphasizes the importance of modelling. This book is definitely the one to read first, as it lays the foundation for the others which are more academic in focus.

I've described these books as Circe meets Ruth Beechick. They are practical and very brief; you can easily read them (each book) in one sitting. Yet they hold up some high, overarching principles. Many of the things I have discovered in my years of homeschooling and research are contained in these books, so I highly recommend them! They would be especially great for folks just starting out and wanting "more" to their homeschool than just workbooks.

I actually really like the books, too.  I am drawn to the simplicity of them.  But I realized that I have another goal in our house, which is self-teaching, and in her house she does so much of the teaching.  The teaching she does is very simple and I would really enjoy that kind of day but I realized that it is all so dependent on me and my husband wants them to not be waiting on me to move on because of my health issues and having a newborn this week.  So I am going to only be in the role of checking work/editing writing and doing read alouds with my younger ones (and older ones as they ask or we have time but not necessarily daily).  I may help my little ones with some journaling by helping them write what they want to say, but I also may delegate that.  I am going to work with them one on one to teach them and inspire them about their daily reading journal responses (various formats and materials they can use) but then they will be able to take off.  There will always be lots of history, fine arts appreciation, literature discussions, nature walks and videos, etc. around here because it is just who I am and what I love, but I will be able to share it as part of regular life rather than as part of a curriculum.  That is exciting for me.  I would still recommend the books.  They give ONE excellent way to simplify and I found so many ideas (especially in the green book) that I have come to agree with about life and homeschooling and wish I had believed when we started (because I was too busy overcomplicating everything to listen to the veteran homeschool moms who told me to KISS).  

I actually really like the books, too.  I am drawn to the simplicity of them.  But I realized that I have another goal in our house, which is self-teaching, and in her house she does so much of the teaching. 

This is my goal too. For the sake of those reading, I want to point out that the math and dictation books promote very short lessons; like 5-15 minutes. 

The format she lays out in the curriculum book, that of reading aloud and researching together, could be adapted to independent reading and research for older children. 

Stm4him, it sounds like you have some good plans. Good luck on your upcoming birth!     :cheers2: