Menu

Fancy picnic ideas?

JuanitaL

If you were planning and providing a picnic meal for a very special occasion and wanted it to be classy/semi-upscale, what would you serve? Everything will have to stay in coolers in the car. 

I'm definitely going to fix the Award Winning Lemon Crinkle Cookies from the wedding cookie thread. 

Cold shrimp and cocktail sauce.

A better than average chicken salad.

Fancy cheeses and crackers. Smoked Gouda. Something like a Boursin that is easy to smear on a cracker or a hunk of bread.

Individual containers of a very nice green salad

Fruit

A baguette

Lemonade and/or wine. Pretty glasses for serving.

Nice plates, cutlery, and cloth napkins

Packets of moist towelettes for cleansing the fingers after eating.

Snooty cheeses, a couscous salad (I like the way they travel and it's pretty in a glass jar), some fruit, some chocolate, and wine. For protein, smoked salmon or oysters are nice, or some good salamis. Maybe pickled veggies. Pack wine or sangria or iced tea to drink. I once saw a Martha Stewart picnic sandwich that was designed to put in the bottom of your basket and get pressed by the other stuff. Lemme see if I can find it . . .

Here it is. She did it with a round loaf of bread and made a giant, shareable sandwich out of the whole loaf.

http://www.marthastewart.com/356407/pressed-picnic-sandwich

I agree with all of the above suggestions.   Also, I now want to throw myself a Fancy Picnic. 

Yes, I think I need to go to the grocery store. Since it's raining today, I shall set my picnic up in the bedroom loft and close the door. 

Snooty cheeses, a couscous salad (I like the way they travel and it's pretty in a glass jar), some fruit, some chocolate, and wine. For protein, smoked salmon or oysters are nice, or some good salamis. Maybe pickled veggies. Pack wine or sangria or iced tea to drink. I once saw a Martha Stewart picnic sandwich that was designed to put in the bottom of your basket and get pressed by the other stuff. Lemme see if I can find it . . .

Here it is. She did it with a round loaf of bread and made a giant, shareable sandwich out of the whole loaf.

http://www.marthastewart.com/356407/pressed-picnic-sandwich

that looks fun!