Menu

Audible 50% Sale and Your Recommendations?

I figured I'd post some of the titles we have enjoyed via audible for any others that may also be interested in audio options.

And adding that, yes, we do read extensively too  :)

With the titles beneath, the most economical option is to purchase the whispersync kindle first, and then get the audio at a special price.  Having the kindle option is handy for when the DC want to read at a quicker pace and drop the audio:

Pilgrims Progress ~ Bunyan   (starts out a little ponderous & dry, stick with it though as it get better)

Don Quixote ~ Cervantes   (fun listen. Part 2 has some content that needed discussion, for our family)

Lorna Doone ~ Blackmore

Gulliver's Travels ~ Swift

Silas Marner ~ Eliot (for me)

Persuasion ~ Austin (for me, because I didn't want to make time to read it ;) )

Idylls of the King ~ Tennyson ( not the best reader out there, but still good)

Greenmantle ~ Buchan (enjoyable, car time, series)

The Diary of a Nobody ~ Grossmith  (humour)

Carry On, Jeeves ~ Wodehouse (humour)

Purchase on Sale:

Death Comes as The End ~ Christie (Ancient Egypt tie-in)

The Diary of Samuel Pepys: BBC Dramatised  (lovely extra to compliment the primary resource)

Classics of British Literature ~ TGC

The Life and Writing of C.S. Lewis ~ TGC

The Year 1000 ~ Lacey (Dh ended up listening through this twice. Very interesting book!)

Gengis Khan and the Making of the Modern World ~ Weathford  (ds really enjoyed this)

She Stoops to Conquer ~ Goldsmith (play)

Hamlet ~ Shakespeare  (play)

Julius Caesar ~ Shakespeare  (play)

Sir Gawain & the Green Knight

Martin Luther's  Here I Stand (speech)

And I'm thinking of purchasing some of the dramatised editions of Charles Dicken's works for my Dd to listen through, before she hits the printed version later in the year.

Might be wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that others have a list to share too, before the 20th April :)

• Like 2

Great Courses lectures.

Absolutely the best deal for your money.

I adore the Great Courses but they're often a better deal for a credit. I buy enough credits that I can get them for 9.50 so I wouldn't buy anything on this sale unless it was less than that.

There are Great Courses that are less, of course - the shorter ones. I have really enjoyed the ones on Voltaire and Jazz recently.

• Like 2

I adore the Great Courses but they're often a better deal for a credit. I buy enough credits that I can get them for 9.50 so I wouldn't buy anything on this sale unless it was less than that.

There are Great Courses that are less, of course - the shorter ones. I have really enjoyed the ones on Voltaire and Jazz recently.

Thanks EmilyK, good reminder for other audible members!

(We're on the audible Lite option, 1 credit per year ... so I try to purchase during sale time, or otherwise it's not at all for us :) )

• Like 1

Makes sense but if you were buying a lot of Great Courses, for example, even on sale you might want to run the numbers about a short term membership. Just FYI.

As a light member, do you get the daily deals? I've picked up some good things that way (for educational purposes as well as for fun).

oh, and also, what a great list! I think The Year 1000 sounds great but it looks like it might not be available in this region.

For my own listening from a comfort food perspective, I have enjoyed listening to Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer titles, that take me back to my reading as a tween and teen. Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Unknown Ajax have been the best -- the narrator really matters.

I have also really enjoyed the following, all with great narrators:

(more adult)

-- Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

--Boys in the Boat

(kids' books)

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

- Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

Makes sense but if you were buying a lot of Great Courses, for example, even on sale you might want to run the numbers about a short term membership. Just FYI.

As a light member, do you get the daily deals? I've picked up some good things that way (for educational purposes as well as for fun).

We have upgraded to a bigger credits membership a time or two, usually at the start of our schooling year which is in February and there is not a sale in sight. :)

As a lite member we do still get the daily deals, which I didn't even think about checking until reading another forum member posting about a daily deal.

• Like 1

oh, and also, what a great list! I think The Year 1000 sounds great but it looks like it might not be available in this region.

For my own listening from a comfort food perspective, I have enjoyed listening to Agatha Christie and Georgette Heyer titles, that take me back to my reading as a tween and teen. Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Unknown Ajax have been the best -- the narrator really matters.

I have also really enjoyed the following, all with great narrators:

(more adult)

-- Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

--Boys in the Boat

(kids' books)

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

- Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom

The Year 1000 is good! 

Another forum member recommended it to us; so pleased they did!!

Agreeing with the narrator matter with 'comfort food' listens :D

The two titles you've mentioned by Heyer & Christie are favourites here also... I think I must be going through a retro-teen phase ;)

Thanks for sharing your extra listens too... off to look at the titles I'm not familiar with.

• Like 1

Thanks EmilyK, good reminder for other audible members!

(We're on the audible Lite option, 1 credit per year ... so I try to purchase during sale time, or otherwise it's not at all for us :) )

I am new to Audible and don't really understand how it works.  I got my free course (Western Civ II), and then after the trial period I am charged $14.95 per month, and the site currently says I have 1 credit.  I guess I just assumed that everything is 1 credit - so, 15 bucks.  Apparently not!  Can one of you please explain how it works?  And what is the "light" membership?

I am new to Audible and don't really understand how it works.  I got my free course (Western Civ II), and then after the trial period I am charged $14.95 per month, and the site currently says I have 1 credit.  I guess I just assumed that everything is 1 credit - so, 15 bucks.  Apparently not!  Can one of you please explain how it works?  And what is the "light" membership?

Not ignoring you, I just don't have time to chat about this yet :) ..... We're in our first week back to scheduled learning after term break.  Busy!!

Hopefully someone else will jump in; if not I'll come back another time.

• Like 1

Sorry not to reply earlier. I guess what I figured out was by trial and error and may not be correct. I first joined as a typical monthly member. We were still using CDs mostly and I only joined to get things that I couldn't find that way (some titles were just not on CD). I was so not focusing on my membership that I think I let a credit lapse since they only let you roll over a certain number (which I think is awful). I think if one is still on the typical monthly plan that Great Courses are still a very good deal. Just make sure to not wait to use your credits too long or you will hit the rollover limit.

Anyway, we got into using Audible almost exclusively as a family, and over the years between all of us we were using a lot of credits, so I became an annual member. A lot of credits but it works out to about $9.50 per credit. So I only buy things with credits usually that we need for school and cost more than 9.50 on sale or when we need them (because I don't always plan ahead), or there's something someone really, really wants. Most of my personal listening comes from Daily Deals (which I check every day) or on the low cost or free ones that are sometimes available. There are great threads in the forums on goodreads and mobilereads that alert me to sales or specials. Amazon at times has classics available for free or very little. There are threads on WTM about that. 

Part of the advantage for us with Audible is the mobility of it. My older son is on the bus and listens to a book he downloaded. My younger son wants to listen to something at home that we own and I just download it no matter where we are in the house, or if we are at grandma's. I want to go back to some of our CD titles with him but it is hard since Audible is so convenient.

• Like 1