Menu

Books on 4th/5th/6th reading level that would appeal to 13-16 year old girls??

Age and sex don't tell us much. Do you know a genre or two that they might like? When I was 13-15 girl, I mostly read technical non-fiction and scifi or adventure books marketed to boys. Would audio books on a higher level be a good recommendation, because I know several that I enjoyed reading and some say are phenomenal audio books

When I was that age, I read and enjoyed

The Unicorn Hunt -- Adventure Fantasy story

The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix -- Adventure fantasy with a male and female duo in the lead in latter books

Rogues to Riches -- Comedic Adventure story

Andrew Clements books

Broken Sky series-- an Anime inspired adventure story (not a graphic novel)

Artemis Fowl --the first few books are good, after that, quality goes down hill.

Spider-wick Chronicles were okay, kind of 'meh'

Warriors -- the ones about the cats

Guardians of GaHoole

I LOVED Dragon Lance books when I was 15ish. I read about 30 of those books in one summer but only recommend the core series, I know that the original trilogy has been split into 6 books and are marketed to children, I started with the first Kids book version, but quickly switched to the originals because I was able to have MORE of the story at once vs waiting for the others to be available.

Sabriel

Lireal

Abhorsen are a series by Garth Nix, I think I read them around that age, but they might be too intimidating, but if you can get it on audiobook...

If you want less fantasy/adventure and some more "normal" fiction/non-fiction.

Botchan (sp?) is hilarious. Its historic fiction (I think) about a Japanese adolescent and his first experience teaching middle school math...

A Single Shard is a really good book.

The Kite Fighter, too and I suspect that other books by that same author (Yep I think is the authors last name) are of a similar interest and grade level.

Swan Girl (Goose Girl?)

Long Way from Chicago and its sequel

A Year Down Yonder can be read indepent of each other.

Everything on a Waffle

The Trolls

The Prairie Thief -- a book my 12 yo sister really likes even though she never finished it.

Avi is an author and a lot of his books are good for that age, The Teachers Funeral, No More Dead Dogs, Nothing but the Truth

Marley and Me or the YA version of the same since Marley and Me has references to sex and miscarriage in it.

There is also Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Don't know why these are so popular, but they are.) I have read the first 6 or so.

I thought Inkheart was boring, but its an adventure story that takes place in the real world and has a female heroine.

I hated that series about the dyslexic kid who finds out he's a Demi-god, to me it was really boring, but a lot of people like(d) it so also look into that.

Sorry, I can't remember what all of these books look like, so some of them might be "too thick" for your readers comfort level. Sorry if there are too many stinkers on this list.

• Like 2

Have they read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books?

Also, the Betsy-Tacy book series is probably my all-time favorite.  It begins when the girls (Betsy and Tacy) are very young, but as they get older in each book, I would guess that your students would find them enjoyable.  The reading level gets a little harder as the girls grow up in the books, so at some point I suppose you may have to stop.

I know there at least a couple of historical fiction series that center around the lives of girls in different periods of time.  I can't think of the names of the series.  Our library had them.  But, I think they would be the perfect reading level for your students.  My daughters loved them.

• Like 1

The lights go on again

Escape to witch mountain

A wrinkle in time

Many waters

Charlottes web

Carry on Mr bow ditch

Gone away lake

Holes

Jacob have I loved

Number the stars

Shiloh

The giver

Walk two moons

The midwifes apprentice

A girl named disaster

Ella enchanted

Narnia

Harry potter

Nine days queen

The secret garden

The little princess

The witching hour Laird

Hush an Irish princesses tale. Napoli

The book of the maidservant

The midwifes apprentice

The plague

Midnight is a place

The upstairs room Johanah reiss

The face on the milk carton

Moonshiners son

Underground to Canada.

Ink heart

Giver

Ice queen by Hans Christian Anderson

Little house on the prairie

When I taught 8th grade, one of my read-alouds was Gutman's The Million Dollar Putt.  All the kids thought it was hilarious.  That's the only one I can come up with that's both in the right reading-level range and short enough to meet your requirement.  Schmidt's Straw into Gold, which I think of as a very thin book, is 176 pg but otherwise that one would fit, too. 

It's that page requirement that gets me.  Even many books I think of as a fairly quick read for that age are still right around 200 pages.

• Like 1

The Hobbit

Anne of Green Gables

the Little House books

The Secret Garden

The Bridge to Terebithia

Mary Poppins

Little Women

Mark Twain books

Peter Pan

Hans Christian Anderson

Black Beauty

Gone with the Wind

National Velvet

To Kill a Mockingbird

Go for the classics. They are written well enough to appeal to all ages.