Menu

Can we talk cloth diapers for a moment?

I don't 'get' the whole pocket dipe craze. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not too keen on AIOs either. Though, I do see their convenience. I'll give ya that ;)

I prefer fitteds.

I have 2 WAHM brands in newborn size...I'm not sure either one are still in business. I prefer one over the other, the side-snap ones are my faves.

Then once out of those mine move into MotherEase One-size with AirFlow covers. I have a smattering of WAHM brands...a couple here a couple there..as well as chinese prefolds used with Bummi covers. But I really like my fitteds. And the MotherEase were the most logical, budget-friendly choice for us. :) I've not been disappointed with them. Oh, their Sandies are very nice too. I'd like more of those!

I've been using cloth since my oldest (6) was born. I use fitted ones that close with a velcro closure. Then I put a waterproof pant on top. I don't like AIO b/c they take too long to dry.

I also use Chinese Prefolds and have been very happy with them.

I like the fitted ones w/velcro b/c they are the most like disposable. I found when I tried to go too frugal and use flat diapers (even though I did learn all the fancy folds and was pretty good at them :D) I just wasn't motivated to use cloth. The ones I use go on/off like disposable and are easy to wash and go...

Kushies are good as are these. I don't think the Kushies site takes you straight to the diapers, as I would have liked it to, but you should be able to find them for yourself in the catalogue.

Also, a must-have for me are the disposable paper liners to catch poop. Just take out and flush away... they are on the Kushies site above under diaper accessories. I wouldn't do cloth without these!! :D

Nikki diaper covers (LOVED them!). They use velcro and wash easily. We also used the Rainbow diapers (they are contoured) forgot where I got them now. They also washed easily. Thing w/ diaper covers...you can't use bleach or stain removers, etc. (at least not w/ Nikki's). It just got to be too much work for me. I did save them though for those days when we were out of diapers and I couldn't get out to the store!

Hey! Something I can talk about...kind of.

I just switched to cloth for our 9 month old. I've been using Bum Genius AIO and the Bum Genius One Size. I also have a Fuzzi Bunz, some Thirsties Fab Fitted and a Crickett's hemp.

So far, I like them all, but I am leaning more toward the AIOs because they are so easy (and thus, Daddy-friendly). The complaint many people seem to have is that they take too long to dry. Since I have so many to cycle through, the additional drying time for the AIOs isn't a big deal.

I like the Crickett's for nap time because they are very absorbent, but also quite bulky.

The Thirsties are super soft, but require a cover (although the just came out with an AIO that I haven't tried) and they are bulkier than the AIOs and FBs.

Since the pocket styles are supposed to be better for heavy wetters--because you can add more layers--I may like those better as the WeeOne gets older.

Pros and cons for each?

My daily, go-to combo is a prefold with a good, sturdy cover like Bummis.

Pros:

• one of the least expensive ways to go--bare minimum, you need 12 prefolds and three covers and you can get by, and you only need to size-up the covers
  • relatively easy to launder and quick to dry
  • if you have enough padding, very little leakage problems
  • Seems to be a system that can hold up to long-term use--more than one baby, etc.

Cons:

• hubbies tend to find it too complicated (don't get me started on this, please)
  • Babysitters and nursery workers tend not to be familiar with it

AIOs I don't use much b/c I can't afford them, and I've only been able to make two so far, but my experience:

Pros:

• Hubby- and bbsitter-proof
  • tend to be tidier and more attractive
  • quicker, so good for squirmy babies

Cons:

• Most expensive option--you have to buy a full set of, say, a dozen in every size, and they're upwards of $15-20 for even the modestly priced ones.
  • I've had leakage problems, but that may be because mine are homemade. They seem, in general, to have less sturdy leg-elastic, though, and I fear that even the bought ones would tend to be leaky.
  • They take a much longer time to dry.

Pocket diapers are almost the same as AIOs, in terms of the pro/con list. The only pro to add is that they eliminate the longer drying time of the AIOs (because you take the padding out), and the only con to add is the slightly annoying step of having to stuff the pocket.

HTH

My favorites with my DD5 were Motherease One-size diapers with Motherease Rikki or Airflow covers. With my DD2, I discovered bumGenius 2.0 AIOs (these are pricy if you buy new, but are by far the easiest and most convenient CDs I ever used, and I tried A LOT), and Very Baby Simply Nights with Motherease Airflow covers at night.

Pocket diapers never worked for me at all. I could never get the fleece to not repel, and I could stuff with three giant stuffers and my DD5 would still be soaked halfway through the night. The Simply Nights were the only thing I found that worked for either kid at night (outside of Huggies Overnites).

If you buy, buy used. Check out diaperswappers.com, diapertraders.com, and Mothering.com (if you're already a member--you have to have 60 days and 50 posts under your belt to access the Trading Post there).

Well it's been years and some of the newer options out there look very good, but I haven't tried them.

But when we had baby #1 we did cloth diapers(even the hospital used them!). I bought a variety of things and finally found the best for no leaks :-)

We did chinese prefolds in 4x8x4 thickness folded into thirds with the front and/or back opened up and used PINS to secure them. My dh was faster with pins than myself, but yes, we kept them in a dove bar of soap and they slid right through the diaper no problem. Also pin away from child for less chance of sticking the baby ;-)

We then used wool covers. Yep. Wool. Yep, it had to be handwashed but since wool breathes I washed once a week at the most. I eventually have 4 covers so two would be washed while I alternated the other two. It was warmer in winter, cooler in summer. Bulky in the beginning, but he did learn to sit up in them ;-)

when all my other friends gave up the fancy covers and diaper service due to leaks we continued our cloth diaper journey for years and were very pleased with it.

Again, we did the old fashioned way with prefolds, pins and wool snap covers but we enjoyed the experience!

I have been cloth diapering the baby since he was about 3 months old (wish I would have with the other two kids but was too afraid to try!) I started with a stash of pockets. I really liked the convenience of them...having the removable insert allowed them to dry faster. But they just didn't breathe enough for ds's sensitive skin. I tried some prefolds with a snappi and a wool cover when he was about 5 months old and was hooked. I really like them! I also have 4 pre-fitteds that I like for the convenience of the snaps.

My favorites are prefolds. I sold off my pockets on Diaperswappers. I still have a few that haven't sold yet too that I need to go back and list again there.

That's funny--we did pins, too, and...drum roll, please,...

Vinyl pants!

Cheap, never leaked, washed great, worked great.

I tried the fancy covers, but they leaked.

I tried all-in-ones, but they were too $.

I tried folding the diapers and putting on a snapped or velcro'ed cover, but again, they leaked and shifted.

I even started diapering with biodegradable disposables (not the cornstarch kind) and covers, but again, it was too much.

Ended up using a diaper service for 2 of the kiddos, and washing my own for the last one (who actually used regular disposables sometimes, too).

Been a long time!

That's funny--we did pins, too, and...drum roll, please,...

Vinyl pants!

Cheap, never leaked, washed great, worked great.

We bought diapers right off the shelf at Target, along with a couple of packs of pins and some vinyl pants. Fit our budget and caused no diaper rash. Also stored the pins in soap with good results. Hubby learned to do it; Nannie and the older ladies who ran the church nursery already knew how.

I had tried cheap diapers. I found that you get what you pay for. After changing my own clothes several times a day, I switched to 'sposies. However, when ds wouldn't potty train, I went back to cloth and asked my LLL friends what they did.

I loved flannel fitted dipes (snaps or velcro) with a terrycloth panel. These helped contain the bf baby poop and saved on covers washing. My favorite covers were the wool covers. These were felted wool wraps that snapped. Too bad the company that made them went out of business. I actually got more than I paid for them when I sold them on Ebay! I also liked the fleece covers. I had good luck with WAHM websites for getting dipes and covers. I also made some flannel dipes with terry liners between the layers to round out my supply. These were similar to the prefolds in shape. I also learned that you should wash the fabric first, then cut and sew :o

I may have a couple fitted flannel dipes left that didn't sell when I got rid of them on ebay. If you want, I'd be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping. I'll have to look closer at them to see the condition.

I used (and really liked!) KUSHIES. I put a plastic bag in the diaper bag and a couple of extra diapers, and changed her RIGHT before church :) They are pretty simple. I bought them on ebay for relatively decent prices. I had to quit using them when I had foot sugery (quickly followed by wrist surgery). I was literally off my feet with help for 3 mos. I iddn't mind the extra laundry, but we didn't feel it was right to ask our friend to do that too.

with a rainbow contour and a bumpkins cover. I was able to buy the covers through Toys R Us online with some giftcards I recieved. With my first son I had nice diapering supplies, an Aristocrat wool cover, many wahm aios but I gave them all away. I am finding that if you use bleach it continues to ruin them even after you stop using the bleach. My prefolds are turning to shreds and even when I sew them the just fall apart the next wash. I knew I was not supposed to bleach them but I felt I really needed to. I guess that is a whole new thread :-)

Kari

All my kids were in cloth, and we tried a lot of different kinds. It's been years since my youngest was in diapers, so I don't know if the WAHM diapers we used are still being made or not... so I too, will recommend Motherease.

We used lots of different combinations, but overall this is what worked for us:

• Diaper service for the first month or two
  • Prefolds, pins, and wraps most of the time at home (after discontinuing the diaper service.)
  • AIO's for trips out of the house

...plus a good diaper bag with lots of pockets and a discreet, waterproof, tightly-sealing bag for soiled diapers on the go.

Oh, and cloth wipes too. I kept mine in a wipe warmer on the changing table.

(The Aristocrat wool covers did work really well, as I recall!)

I LOVE my Kissaluvs fitted diapers and fleece-lined hemp doublers with Bummi Whisper Wraps for day, Seventh Heaven wool or Dancing Bears fleece for night. Unfortunately, all my Bummis began leaking and I have yet to replace them; we've been back on the disposable wagon for a bit. :(

My favorite place for diapers is Green Mountain. Hope that helps. :)

I liked fitteds and plain old unbleached cotton prefolds with a Snappi:)

Folded in a bikini twist. http://www.babycottonbottoms.com/cloth_diaper_folding.htm

For little boys especially its thicker in the middle to catch all the pee.

I also liked the Bummis Super Snap diaper covers. Velcro isn't baby proof. My kiddo figured out how to rip off the velcro covers-eww!

LOVE Snappi's. So much easier to get off those pee soaked diapers. Plus they keep the diaper on there tight unlike regular pins.

I've got almost six years of cloth diapering experience and I had to share my favorites. I love love love Snugglebottoms diapers. I buy mine from BabyBunz.com. When your baby outgrows one size, just use it as a diaper doubler to fit nicely inside a bigger Snugglebottoms diaper. (You'll need to double diaper as your baby gets bigger and becomes a heavier soaker.) These dipes come with and without velcro. If you get these, I recommend the ones without velcro. My next recommendation is for Chinese prefolds, which are the workhorse of my diaper stash. Chinese prefolds are inexpensive and very thick. When we go out for errands or long car trips, I always double diaper with my Chinese prefolds b/c they soak up a lot. I do not recommend diapers with synthetic fibers at all. I have never tried hemp diapers, so I can't comment on those, but I say 100% cotton is best! For covers I recommend Lite Wraps (which run big). Lite Wraps are like full figured diaper covers. They are inexpensive, slightly breathable PUL and they have velcro and snaps to keep things in place nicely. As baby grows s/he may be the type to pull covers off, but those wonderful snaps will save the day! Trust me! If you buy your diaper covers at Nickis Diapers, shipping is free. There are tons and tons of diapers and covers on the market and I can tell you without a doubt that you should have no problem with these things I've recommended. I also recommend a diaper sprayer to spray poopy messes off of the diaper and into the toilet. You could also try the potty pail sold at Green Mountain Diapers (I haven't tried it, but it looks great.) Also buy some reusable wipes and some diaper pins. Yes, pins! They keep everything in place better and if you place your hand btwn baby's skin and the diaper, you will never poke your baby. Do you need tips on washing them? Let me know. Do you have a diaper service in your area? If so, it's worth it to use their service for at least the first 3-6 months IMO, but only if they are a member of NADS, which sets very high standards for cloth diaper services. Well, I could go on and on about cloth diapers, so if you have any questions fire away! I love cloth diapering and so does mother nature. All the best!

I've been using cloth off and on for 10 years, have made diapers, sold diapers, bought waaayyyy too many diapers, and in general consider myself pretty well versed on diapering. That all being said, my new favorites are the BumGenius pocket diapers and SwaddleBees pocket diapers. I used to not see the point of pocket diapers, but now I can. You can get the diaper much cleaner, keep the cover part in good shape (air drying or drying on low), keep baby's bum dry, and adjust the absorbency to your needs. I also like the BumGenius and SwaddleBees fitted diapers with a pull-on cover.

If you want cheap though, you can get by just fine on prefolds and wraps, like Bummis or ProRaps.

Hello,

I have a dear friend who is expecting her first little babe this June. She wants to use cloth diapers, and asked me about them. I know nothing since I didn't choose to use them, but I know many of you do. Can you give me some of your preferences, so I can pass them on to her? If possible, could you include links if you purchased online?

Thanks very much for your help!:)

NancyinCA

back in the day, when my dd were little, most people still used cloth diapers, the only choices being prefolded/unfolded, and gauze/birdseye :-)

So I guess that would be my recommendation, since it worked for me: about 5 dozen prefolded gauze diapers and Gerber's plastic pants. Use Amway's SA8, Dry Bleach, and Fabric Softener. You can find diapers, pins, and plastic pants right here.

13 years experience in cloth diapering. (with a 2 month break once)

4X8X4 Chinese prefolds

DRITZ diaper pins kept in a soap bar

I loved Alexis Featherlite side snap covers but they don't make them anymore. Basically it is like the old and still available Gerber plastic pants BUT they are made of nylon. They are a pull on diaper cover but when they have snaps on the side you have the option of unsnapping. I know there are some similar products (pull on nylon snap covers) available now but I haven't tried any of them yet.

I like the fitted diapers with Velcro but they are more expensive and the kind I have isn't as absorbent as the Chinese prefolds.

The twist fold, or bikini fold that CalicoKat mentioned is great for reducing bulk between the legs. I use this fold when they move up to the next size diaper.

HTH