Menu

Young kids and popular music

matrips

How do your elementary age kids learn current/pop music? Ds 10 had a song/drama class he started today. I guess I thought they'd be given a song to learn to sing or practice or something. They were asked for which songs they knew and to sing one. He really doesn't know any. I mean, ones he's played for his instruments, and old time kid songs, or maybe some of my music from the 70s and 80s. But he really doesn't know music. And certainly not any songs to sing. Some of the other kids were mentioning stuff; I only recognized Katy Perrys name. Never heard of the others.

How can I help? When I've turned on the radio, I usually hear a country station and music I recognize from my younger days, but nothing what I'd think of as current music. Is top 40 only played at certain times of the day? Who are some of the artists your younger kids like? And what songs? I guess we spend too much time listening to books on CD.

When we got home, I got out my old CDs and walked the kids through different music like southern rock, jazz, funk rock, reggae etc to give them a little education. They liked what I played a lot, but it's all old stuff.

DD13 doesnt particularily care for the current music, but she has listened to some of the most popular on Youtube.  All About the Bass, Take me to Church, that sort of thing.   Mostly so she can appreciate the parodies, but it works. 

You can also build a popular hits station on Pandora if you google a few artists first.  We listen to tons of music all day long - all different genres - using Pandora.  DD13 mostly likes show tunes and broadway hits these days.  She was on an alternative rock kick earlier this year, so Broadway is a welcome change!

YouTube is my niece's go to for music.

There is a station here that plays all the current bubblegum pop and similar. She listens to that in the car when I don't insist on my NPR affiliate, lol.

I find most of my new music on streaming services these days. Mostly just the radio feature on my iPhone. I also get reccomendations from a friend's music themed group I am in on FB.

• Like 2

We listen to the radio.

My rule is, you'll get it when you're old enough. I'm not explaining pop songs--if you need to know, and you can't figure it out, you're not ready for it, and we don't listen to it any more. I just change the station.

I don't know which stations are around your area. Here we have many top 40 radio stations, as well as alternative rock, and then NPR from the university and a technical high school, both of which play lots of brand-new music that isn't even on the commercial stations yet.

• Like 1

Same boat. My son just does not like music. I found a list of current popular songs and artists, pulled them up on Youtube and followed related videos.

When he needed a specific song for a program I messaged a friend with same age DSD who liked music to get suggestions.

I am not worried about it tbh. He is going to be the type who listens to NPR or audio books while driving or hanging out at home. It is not a big deal. :)

radio disney is terrible - really quite degenerate, if degenerate is something you want to avoid.  it's technically clean, but that's about it.

our kids only hear music that we play for them, for the most part (or stuff they request that we look up, like the harry potter soundtrack or something), so the only popular music they know of is stuff we like - and for the most part we don't like much that would play on the radio.  (we do like some of it, though - I think Ellie Goulding is on the radio, right?)

• Like 1

DS doesn't listen to music, and will generally walk away if I "make" him. I have to admit I'm sort of flabbergasted by it; as a preteen and teenager, music was such an important and huge part of my life and I do feel like he's missing out on something. So I try to introduce some now and again, just so he isn't totally out of the loop. Granted, the music isn't as good now as it was in the 80's so I can't rally blame him. ;)

He does enjoy traditional Irish music though. It really calms him down and resonates with him somehow, which I find fascinating. Unfortunately that doesn't help your situation. I guess I'm surprised to hear there are other kids this age who aren't into the music scene at all.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well... I like current pop music.  It's still sounds about the same as the music I grew up with (I was born in 1978, so was a teenager and into music in the 90s).  We listen to a lot of music at our house and it's all the stuff you hear on one of the "today's music" stations (yes, there are whole 24 hour stations with current stuff only).

I agree that if you are anywhere near a metro area, you should be able to pick up a radio station that will play new music, probably run by Iheartcommunications (formerly Clear Channel).

I don't think it's necessary, so I only listen to that station when DS is not in the car.

We are always listening to music in our house - and especially in the car when we're going places. But my kids don't "know" any of the Top 40 pop stuff, we're more of an alt rock/old grunge/punk kind of family. My kids would be more likely to go into a class like that singing something from Alice in Chains or NOFX than something on a Top 40 channel. 

Does the song for the class HAVE to be a current pop track? What about a country song they like, or classic rock, or... anything else? 

We'll listen to some of the pop stations on our satelite radio in our truck, but my kids wouldn't know the lyrics offhand even if we find them catchy while driving. We listen to just about anything - old rock, my grunge faves, country, some pop. But this would be a tough assignment for either of my kids. 

If you have Amazon Prime, Kidz Bop albums are usually available free at least for a few months when they first come out. There are also playlists of things like "Kid-safe pop music" which is a mix of Kidz bop covers and original artist radio edits.

DD also writes a lot of parodies of pop songs-usually with snake, science, or math specific lyrics.  I'm half convinced one reason why she likes pop music is that it's so easy to parody.

We opt to not listen to current popular music at all in our house or car.  Ever.  My children have no idea who current artists are.  We listen to Christian radio, old (pre-1970) country. older musicals and 50's music.  My oldest plays guitar, so I selectively let her listen to some Eagles, Journey and Kansas from the 70s.  If my kids were assigned a to pick a song, it would be something 30 years old. I would not be thrilled about a class where kids were singing current music as I feel most of it is trash. 

• Like 2

That is a difficult age for that.  I don't think it is unusual for a 10 year old not to know any/many popular songs or singers.  I have a 10 year old and all he knows is what his older brother listens to so lots of David Bowie and UK punk. He has a couple friends who attend public school and it hasn't been until late 5th grade and def by 6th that popular music became much of a focus, and even then it was mostly one kid who found it compelling. The others didn't care at all.

When my oldest was 10 he went to a singing workshop of "popular music" and they learned some Beatles songs. It was like Octopuses Garden and Here Comes the Sun and a few others that were very kid appropriate. Most of the song workshops he went to focused on Broadway songs, there are a huge number of those that are really fun for kids to sing! "Happiness" from "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" is nice, "I won't grow up" from Peter Pan, and "Good Morning Starshine" from Hair. Now, is Hair appropriate for kids? Nope, nope nope, and I am not suggesting it. But "Good Morning Starshine" is super fun for the 10 and under crowd.

Can he go with a Beatles song? At ten my oldest boy was in loooove with the Beatles.

We have a subscription to Google Play Music All Access, and we listen to my playlists in the car.  Dd actually makes me print out the lyrics to the Imagine Dragons songs so she can sing along. :P  The Google Play Music thing lets you have a free trial for a month, so if you wanted you could do that and spend a month listening to popular songs.  A lot of the music that comes out now is terrible, but there's some good stuff, too.

We tend to listen to the pop station in the car.  Serious music distracts me too much.  I think that is where my kids hear most of what they know.

They do also know a lot of older pop and rock and roots music that I listen to.  I think that still counts as popular in my books.  My dd7 started the guitar recently, and the teacher usually has them work on a pop somg as well as work through their book, so she wanted to know what singers dd liked.  Dd told her Stevie Nicks.  Her instructor was thrilled because Fleetwood Mac is her favorite band, and she already has three students learning taylor Swift songs.

If they need a pop song, why not pick a standard, maybe something by the Beatles would work.  Or something more folk, either an older song or even something more modern like This Land is Your Land.

Thank you for all the suggestions and feedback. Yes, I'm not sure if I'll be thrilled when I hear what the current music sounds like. And no, it doesn't have to be current pop. I think she was just assuming all kids would know current music, and I felt I was slacking in this area of his education :). Good to know not everyone is into music or the new stuff.

After class when we spoke, she actually suggested blues for him, and gave me the names of a couple old time blues artists.

• Like 1

My kids take Zumba at the Y, listen to Radio Disney or Top 40 stations in the car, and find Minecraft song parodies on youtube.  Right now they like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Pokémon theme songs (not finding those on the radio, LOL), Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Cheetah Girls (Cinderella), Walk the Dinosaur (from Ice Age), Let it go (from Frozen).

We did a lot of Kids Bop when my oldest was younger.  They've been around a looooong time.  Haven't really gotten into them with the younger guys. 

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about him not knowing pop music.  He'll learn it soon enough, without even making an effort.  We played NPR's classical music station and a variety of old records like Harry Belafonte, Nat King Cole, Rusty Draper, Bob Dylan, and Melanie when our kids were growing up.

I remember when my daughter had to sing a song for something, the only one she could think of all the words to was "Goober Peas."

Now they all know far more about pop and modern music than I ever did.

My 14 year old doesn't like pop music at all.  He's been taking classical piano since age 5 and just doesn't have a lot of patience for repetitive simple music.  He takes voice now too.  He likes musical theater songs, knows and tolerates some folk tunes, and enjoys like orchestral movie and video game scores.  For that kind of class, watching a couple old musicals and seeing if he likes any of the music might actually be a good start.  I'm surprised a drama class is encouraging use of pop anyway.  Most directors I know do not like to hear pop in an audition unless they're casting a very modern rock musical or something. 

• Like 1

My 14 year old doesn't like pop music at all.  He's been taking classical piano since age 5 and just doesn't have a lot of patience for repetitive simple music.  He likes musical theater songs, knows and tolerates some folk tunes, and enjoys like orchestral movie and video game scores.  For that kind of class, watching a couple old musicals and seeing if he likes any of the music might actually be a good start.  I'm surprised a drama class is encouraging use of pop anyway.  Most directors I know do not like to hear pop in an audition unless they're casting a very modern rock musical or something. 

Yes, songs from old musicals are the best!  :)

• Like 1

Yes, songs from old musicals are the best!  :)

No doubt!  I was going to say for a 10 year old boy, I'd look at music from Oliver.  That should be appropriate range and difficulty too.  Also many popular musical theater productions have a junior version that's designed to be in a kid friendly key and range.  Like Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Willy Wonka.  You can find sheet music for the junior versions too or you can even buy whole song books designed for kids.

So much pop music has a horrible range.  And kid inappropriate themes.  ARG.  I'm irritated that was the assignment on your behalf!

Am I the only one who cringes at the mention of Kidzbop?!?  Yes, they're cleaned up lyrics which is definitely better, but... so, so annoying. 

My son, around 8 or 9, started becoming interested in what I listened to, and developed his own favorites from there.  I would say a combo of pop, rock, and alternative.  He loves Imagine Dragons and One Republic.  And when we're driving, depending on what I'm in the mood for, I also make him listen to a variety of everything under the sun... 80's, 90's, Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, etc. 

Thank you for all the suggestions and feedback. Yes, I'm not sure if I'll be thrilled when I hear what the current music sounds like. And no, it doesn't have to be current pop. I think she was just assuming all kids would know current music, and I felt I was slacking in this area of his education :). Good to know not everyone is into music or the new stuff.

After class when we spoke, she actually suggested blues for him, and gave me the names of a couple old time blues artists.

You are not. ;)  As I am sure you know!! 

My children do not listen to popular music, unless you count Gungor or Sufjan Stevens or Josh Garrels.  I don't know if they really fall into that category. I like  folk music--Simon & Garfunkel, Jason Harrod, etc.  I don't listen to pop music, so I guess it's the trickle-down effect. 

I primarily listen to classical music.  My son has his favorite composers.  Once he was drawing and looked up at me. "Is this Vivaldi?" He asked after a new song came on. "No," I said, "Mozart."  "AHHHH!" he exclaimed, enlightened, then he went back to coloring.  It made me chuckle.  We love Celtic music on rainy days.  

You're not slacking.  If he gets into pop music later on in life, that's fine, but I don't think he's missing anything at this juncture!  Listen to what you enjoy!

Am I the only one who cringes at the mention of Kidzbop?!? Yes, they're cleaned up lyrics which is definitely better, but... so, so annoying.

My son, around 8 or 9, started becoming interested in what I listened to, and developed his own favorites from there. I would say a combo of pop, rock, and alternative. He loves Imagine Dragons and One Republic. And when we're driving, depending on what I'm in the mood for, I also make him listen to a variety of everything under the sun... 80's, 90's, Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, etc.

You are not alone. I'd rather my kids listen to the actual lyrics when they are old enough to be interested. The cleaned up kids songs bug me.

Only1Noah on YouTube is a favorite of my niece's who has even interested my older son. He does some nice covers.

We don't listen to popular music. The kids know some songs from being played at gymnastics meets or from our neighbors singing on the trampoline, but they're much more familiar with odd indie rock bands or Pete Seeger than Katy Perry. 

If this is a song/drama class, a piece from a musical would seem to be a better fit than whatever's on the radio now. Is the idea that most kids don't know musicals well enough? Or that there would be 15 versions of "Let It Go?"

I played Billy Joel for them today, and they loved him. So far Chicago and Billy Joel are their favorites. :). Creedence was also a hit. Will this get them made fun of?! I'm enjoying playing all my old music for them. and glad they are able to appreciate it!

Would something like Piano Man be do-able? I think the teacher's aim is more about how to present a song and take charge of the stage than the singing quality itself, and I think she just wanted the kids to pick a song they knew well and we're comfortable with. My guess at least for the pop part.

• Like 1

I wouldn't stress too much over it. Maybe pick something from a folk/pop or classical/pop crossover artist, or even a retro song from any decade. I consider the fact that my kids love all genres of music from medieval to current (as opposed to only liking whatever is trendy at school) to one of the advantages of not having them at school.

How do your elementary age kids learn current/pop music? Ds 10 had a song/drama class he started today. I guess I thought they'd be given a song to learn to sing or practice or something. They were asked for which songs they knew and to sing one. He really doesn't know any. I mean, ones he's played for his instruments, and old time kid songs, or maybe some of my music from the 70s and 80s. But he really doesn't know music. And certainly not any songs to sing. Some of the other kids were mentioning stuff; I only recognized Katy Perrys name. Never heard of the others.

How can I help? When I've turned on the radio, I usually hear a country station and music I recognize from my younger days, but nothing what I'd think of as current music. Is top 40 only played at certain times of the day? Who are some of the artists your younger kids like? And what songs? I guess we spend too much time listening to books on CD.

When we got home, I got out my old CDs and walked the kids through different music like southern rock, jazz, funk rock, reggae etc to give them a little education. They liked what I played a lot, but it's all old stuff.

It's not pop but my kids were crazy for Celtic thunder for a while. Mine know the different stuff because dh downloads music to his iPod in the car. If it was up to me they'd be like yours. I figure I have enough noise in my house already without adding music!