Menu

Singapore Standards vs. CLE

katnorman

Since Singapore is limiting and taking out some of their pre algebra in the upper elementary books, I was wondering how CLE math compared to Singapore in this aspect. Does CLE math give a good foundation to pre algebra in 5th and 6th grade like Singapore does?? We have used Singapore through 4th grade with our oldest and have 3 more coming up. I don't want to buy all the workbooks and store them so I was thinking of switching to CLE math. Has anyone gone from CLE math in 6th grade to AOPS pre algreba/algebra?

Primary Mathematics Standards Edition will not have any algebra content removed. The scope and sequence chart for the new CC shows this edition has added some mathematical reasoning topics, but has removed some of the basic algebra and variable work in this new edition. The SE is still available.

Bill

Primary Mathematics Standards Edition will not have any algebra content removed. The scope and sequence chart for the new CC shows this edition has added some mathematical reasoning topics, but has removed some of the basic algebra and variable work in this new edition. The SE is still available.

Bill

From reading your other posts you seem very pro Singapore, and I can see why. It's a great program. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the new CC edition and the changes that have been made compared to the SE.

CLE 7th starts their pre-algebra. I was told you could go into any algebra, including rigorous, from CLE 7 and 8 and any Alg. II from CLE Alg I.

I don't know if that's true. However, I suspect it might be.

We are doing very basic algebra in CLE 5. I just switched after going 1/2 way through Singapore Math in Focus 5. I recently compared where we would be had we stayed with Math in Focus through the year. We are in, essentially, the same spot using CLE as we would be had we stuck with Math in Focus. I feel we're in a better place because of the spiral in CLE, and all of us are enjoying math more. That said, CLE is much weaker in word problems. I will continue to use Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Singapore Process Skills for that. You will have the background knowledge to supplement with conceptual teaching as needed due to Singapore materials.\

You could easily accelerate CLE so that you get further by 6th, and give yourself wiggle room if needed. We have 1.5 light units remaining in CLE 5, and I started in December. You might feel better to just stick with the Singapore version Bill mentioned! CLE has been a hit here though. I'm pleased.

From reading your other posts you seem very pro Singapore, and I can see why. It's a great program. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the new CC edition and the changes that have been made compared to the SE.

I don't really have a considered opinion (and likely won't, since my child is finishing up, and we'll be moving on). I have looked at the scope and sequence chart (not a great way to judge a math program) and was intrigued by a few "adds" made in the early years in the CC. But the removal of the algebra topics later was not a plus. 

I mentioned in another thread that the Singapore Model was more reliant on teaching the precursor understanding of algebraic thinking and word-problem solving by using the "bar-diagram method" rather than variables and algebraic equations in any case. The Singaporeans believe the bar-diagrams help students "see" how algebraic-type problem works, more than diving prematurely (in their minds) into algebraic equations solved procedurally."

I doubt they will drop the bar-diagram word problems that are at the core of Singapore Math, even if dropping work with traditional variables.

I also mentioned that the topics that appear to be dropped in CC also happen to be topics covered exceedingly well in Ed Zaccaro's books Primary Grade Challenge Math and Real World Algebra. And covered by the intriguing apps Dragonbox 5+ and 12+, and by Hands-On-Equations.

It will be for others to do more considered reviews of the two editions. I've like SE, and added more basic algebra to our mix. I would not have voted for pulling any of it from PM. But the other resources I mentioned are outstanding supplements.

Bill

• Like 1