Menu

Singapore or Math Mammoth?? They seem so similar...

hjordan423

I am trying to decide whether to go with Singapore or Math Mammoth.  They both seem very similar in how they present material and the sequence.  What am I missing?  If there are no major differences, I am going to choose Math Mammoth because I like that the "teaching" is included in the workbook/worktext.  I don't intend to just hand over a workbook to my children and be completely hands-off, BUT I am turned off by Singapore's method of 3 separate sources...Instructor's Guide, Textbook, and Workbook.  I need things more streamlined than that. 

Thoughts or suggestions from those who have used or researched both?  Thanks!!

If you dislike juggling books then SM may not be your best option. In addition to the HIG, TB, and WB, there's also the Intensive practice and Challenging word problems books. While not all the books are necessary, you'll probably find that your student needs more or less, and end up having to juggle three or four.

I looked at the sample pages of MM and wanted to claw my eyes out. The pages are so incredibly busy. Despite the good deal, I just couldn't pass up the fun and pleasant look of SM workbooks and texts.

I agree with the other poster that juggling the TM, TB, WB and CWP can get a bit crazy. But we had done Right Start before SIngapore, so Singapore seems like a cake-walk comparatively.  

Honestly, I use the Teacher's Guide only ~ 40% of the time (in the early years I used it close to 0% of the time). I use the Textbook only ~ 10% of the time.  I refer to the TG if I don't feel comfortable explaining a concept. 

Some people say there is not enough practice in the WB, so they buy the IP.  I have found that the Textbook actually has some good practice problem pages, so sometimes I just throw those into the mix of what I ask my child to do. However we mostly work out of the workbook and CWP.

We chose MM over Singapore for the very reasons you cite: ease of use, not needing a separate teacher manual, but still retaining a rigorous approach to math. Neither I or my daughter have had a problem with the layout or density of problems in the program, common complaints about MM generally. You'll notice in my sig that we do supplement MM pretty heavily, but this is not due to any problems with MM as a math spine. DD just blows through math pretty fast so I like to slow her down with other stuff. In my opinion, MM is a great program for you, based on what you seem to be seeking.

We used Singapore for four years before switching.   I rarely used the teacher's guide or textbook in Singapore but the cost was the primary motivator.  I'd say we both slightly prefer SP over MM but she is likes MM, it suits her well.  The amount of information on a page is sometimes a struggle for her but we've found some ways to work through that.  

Thank you all so much for your input! 

Kate, your articles are so helpful.  Thanks for sharing those links!  I also want to see the "Taking the Mystery Out of Conceptual Math" seminar, but can't figure out how to get it.  :)  I clicked on the link and put it in "my cart" and checked out.  Now what?  Sorry, I'm sometimes technology challenged, but it looks like it would help a lot. 

All the best!!

I left MM because of the over crowded pages and the layout. I asked here about something like MM but not crowded and with more space, but no one ever mentioned Singapore. I wish they had. It is a perfect fit.

I dislike juggling stuff, but it is not hard at all. We do 1-2 pages in the textbook, then I assign the pages in the WB. We may not always line up but usually we are ahead in the TB and then I will wait to catch up and do the review. I read the HIG in advance as needed. It is not always needed to be honest, but sometimes it gives a good idea of how to present the info.

I was not sure I would like the TB, but to be honest, it is one of my DC's favorite things. We sit on the couch with a white board and work through some problems. 1 of my DC has an issue with writing, so here we can focus on solving the problem without the writing pressure.

I'd agree with others: MM and Singapore are very similar in teaching style and conceptual approach. They're both excellent programs. 

My dd did not respond well to the look of MM, but she loved Singapore. (She kept calling it "the fun math!") That's the main reason behind our preference of Singapore over MM. And although Singapore isn't as independent as MM, for my dds who think that math is a social event, this is a *good* thing about Singapore.  :001_smile:

I do find that the multiple books gives me more flexibility to tailor the program. Not trying to change your mind -- if multiple books drive you nuts, stay away! But I was surprised to find how much I appreciated that we could vary the time and depth we spent on topics just by how I used the different books. 

• Like 1

Just a word in favor of multiple books. I like having a book that is used for "teaching" with the parent involved in the lesson instruction (the Textbook in PM) and another that is to be used for independent student work (or semi-independent work in the early years), as opposed to using a program written "to the student." I'm not sure how MM users handle this, but *I* like having clearly delineated portions where I'm "in," and others where I'm "out" (unless there is a problem).

The supplementary materials, Intensive Practice and CWPs, make nice ways to customize the experience with challenge work and review (with additional challenge).

Bill

• Like 1

I find the teaching portion in mm to be clearly set off. It is boxed in bold. In the early years, the parent can simply do what's in the box on the whiteboard or with manipulatives. Then you might move on to reading through the box together, eventually graduating to being fairly independent with the teaching box. With mm though, you kind of go without a clear day by day plan. You might roughly plan to average a page and a half or 20 minutes, or whatever you decide. That means the teaching box will not always come up at the beginning of your daily math time. Your student might work independently for 10 minutes, then be ready for the next teaching box.

I'm a very happy mm user. It is easy to take at your own pace, but I agree with previous posters that it is more difficult to customize the level of difficulty aside from accelerating/decelerating. I chose it over sm primarily for the issues you describe of juggling books. Our living area is small. I can store plenty of stuff in other areas, but I don't want a lot of books "in play" at the same time. If there's just the one book out, it's less likely to be thrown onto the floor by the toddler or devoured by the puppy. The customer service is great. Maria has provided free updates. It's also loads cheaper than sm, especially if you end up using for multiple children.

My two boys used SM 1A and 2A this school year. The textbook, workbook, and CWP were very easy for them so I added the IP. The IP was a mixed of very easy and super hard problems.

We switched to MM the second half of the school year (& a grade level ahead) and I think MM is in-between the super easy and super hard of SM. I think the IP of SM won't be so hard if I use the MM in place to the tb, wb & cwp of SM.

We did SM essentials.  After that, I couldn't decide what to go with so we took a few different styles out for test-drive.  My kids didn't like MM at all.  In fact, when we went back to SM, they were thrilled to see the SM books.  Later, I was just shuffling some things in a drawer, my son saw MM, and he said NO!!!!  We're only on SM 1A, so we don't have a long track record.  But I know at their ages, MM doesn't fit at all.

I find the teaching portion in mm to be clearly set off. It is boxed in bold. In the early years, the parent can simply do what's in the box on the whiteboard or with manipulatives. Then you might move on to reading through the box together, eventually graduating to being fairly independent with the teaching box. With mm though, you kind of go without a clear day by day plan. You might roughly plan to average a page and a half or 20 minutes, or whatever you decide. That means the teaching box will not always come up at the beginning of your daily math time. Your student might work independently for 10 minutes, then be ready for the next teaching box.

I'm a very happy mm user. It is easy to take at your own pace, but I agree with previous posters that it is more difficult to customize the level of difficulty aside from accelerating/decelerating. I chose it over sm primarily for the issues you describe of juggling books. Our living area is small. I can store plenty of stuff in other areas, but I don't want a lot of books "in play" at the same time. If there's just the one book out, it's less likely to be thrown onto the floor by the toddler or devoured by the puppy. The customer service is great. Maria has provided free updates. It's also loads cheaper than sm, especially if you end up using for multiple children.

We are also happy MM users for all the reasons here.

I looked at the sample pages of MM and wanted to claw my eyes out. The pages are so incredibly busy. Despite the good deal, I just couldn't pass up the fun and pleasant look of SM workbooks and texts.

We're using both, but for this reason, my DS much prefers Singapore. We're using parts of MM only for review.