Menu

Decisions, decisions.....

Gwen in VA

I just wanted to extend my sympathy to all the other parents out there who are chewing their nails and wondering when and how their kid will make the big decision.

My kid is deciding between two schools with different opportunities and different strengths, but they have two things in common -- the finances are almost identical and they are both good options. So I jitter and pray.... I don't have an opinion. I just want her to decide! NOW!

And dd stews and frets that she never did like making decisions! She thought she would have a decision last week, but some things came up that made the choice harder instead of easier. So she makes lists and rips them up.

And I try to bite my tongue.

Anyone else in my boat?

• Like 3

"My kid is deciding between two schools with different opportunities and different strengths, but they have two things in common -- the finances are almost identical and they are both good options.

Anyone else in my boat?"

Rowing right here with ya. Same, same, same on all counts. Trying very hard to just think it through logically, point out the pros and cons I see,  and let her decide. She has one more extended visit at the end of this week. It is not helping that she is juggling two college courses, two AP classes, work, and a working band with big gigs coming up. She doesn't want to spend any more time on these accepted students events as she has been disappointed by a couple and it means missing CC class time. They don't really give her the info she wants, either - she sees them as advertising in a way. What she needs is a day or two off to spend time once again researching outcomes and major requirements - zeroing in on these two colleges in particular. Not happening this week.

I keep reminding myself (and her) that they are both extremely good options and either one will be great. She just needs to pick one, go onward unto the breach with all her enthusiasm, and not get caught up in might-have-beens. Almost like getting married, but not quite. :oP

• Like 4

We are kindasorta in the same boat.  Maybe we're in the dinghy that is being pulled behind the boat.  DS has been sick and is behind in school work so the college selection process is running behind.  He has missed so much school with being ill that he doesn't want to miss any more days to go do classroom visits.  He is still losing weight (lost another 4 pounds this week) and the trips to out-of-town doctors are eating away lots of his spare time. Looking up info on a smartphone isn't the easiest thing to do in a car or waiting room.

At this point, I think it's going to come down to financial fit more than anything else and if that school doesn't work out consider a transfer in a year or two.

To be honest, I just wish these experiences (high school graduation and college selection) were over.  It seems like these past three months have all been about rushing, waiting, filing, waiting, anticipating, waiting, working so diligently, waiting. And now, with his illness, it's like what the heck?  Are you kidding me??  If I weren't living it, it would be almost tragically comedic. 

• Like 4

To be honest, I just wish this experiences (high school graduation and college selection) were over.  It seems like this past three months have all been about rushing, waiting, filing, waiting, anticipating, waiting, working so diligently, waiting. And now, with his illness, it's like what the heck?  Are you kidding me??  If I weren't living it, it would be almost tragically comedic. 

:grouphug: to you both. I really hope your son starts feeling better soon!

• Like 3

I just wanted to extend my sympathy to all the other parents out there who are chewing their nails and wondering when and how their kid will make the big decision.

My kid is deciding between two schools with different opportunities and different strengths, but they have two things in common -- the finances are almost identical and they are both good options. So I jitter and pray.... I don't have an opinion. I just want her to decide! NOW!

And dd stews and frets that she never did like making decisions! She thought she would have a decision last week, but some things came up that made the choice harder instead of easier. So she makes lists and rips them up.

And I try to bite my tongue.

Anyone else in my boat?

This will be me when my last goes off to college.  He is horrible at making decisions.  We are constantly telling him "it's not rocket science."

Hugs to you.

I have several friends in your boat now.

Yep, with four AP classes, CC Econ class, leadership duties, and senior project, time cannot be had!

We are in the big fish-med sized fish decision.

With a top ten university versus a number 40ish I feel like both are great options.

Dd keeps vacillating. I once had a nifty, objective way of finding the best fit college. It had 8-10 factors and each factor was given a numerical value based on your "the students" opinion. Then you would add up the columns and the one with the highest number was the winner (flawed yes as each objective carried the same weight). But it was something and I cannot find it!

• Like 1

I once had a nifty, objective way of finding the best fit college. It had 8-10 factors and each factor was given a numerical value based on your "the students" opinion. Then you would add up the columns and the one with the highest number was the winner (flawed yes as each objective carried the same weight). But it was something and I cannot find it!

Keep looking, please.  I would love to see that rubric.  Before May 1st would be nice.  ;)

• Like 1

Dd just made her big decision.

She chose the small school, the one without the big name but the one where she will have the best teacher and an amazing internship.

Interestingly enough, the BIG-name school offered her MORE merit aid, which made for an agonizing decision. Name versus teacher, with other variables thrown in for confusion.

But she is content. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 16

I hope everyone is getting closer to deciding. Thanks for link of how to choose. Something to keep for another day. My next kid is the one who has trouble making decisions. Right now he says he doesn't care where he goes, so it could be easy or hard.  His older sibling is not impressed by the criteria he is using to choose, so the link may come in handy if he ends up having trouble.