Menu

If you have 2,400.00 to spend...

The rules?

1. Must be secular.

2. Its for grades 1, 3, and 5. I am also homeschooling a 8th grader, preschoolers, K4, and newborn 😜 Items can cross over age groups.

What would you get? Some music lessons, field trips, etc count. Also school supplies. Each child can get 1 tech items year.

I am especially interested in science recommendations.

We currently use TOG, MUS, and other things fluctuate. I am Charlotte Mason inspired.

Excited to see what you all come up with! ☺ï¸

2 iPads

microscope (maybe a Brock)

lego we-do and Mindstorms

Snap Circuits

Here are some special books that work with a range of ages:

One Million Things: A Visual Encyclopedia

Exploratopia; Exploralab

DK Knowledge Encyclopedia

Smithsonian Natural History

Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia

A Family of Poems; Poems to Learn by Heart by Caroline Kennedy

The Story of the Orchestra

Art Fraud Detectives

A Street Through Time

Snap Circuits

Simply Charlotte Mason copybooks (printing or cursive), also some of their art and/or history packs (they make it sooo easy)

Microscope and interesting slides and slide prepping dyes

I'd use part of the budget to have the kids each get, say $100-200, and have them try to make money with it.  They spend it on something (baking goods, an old lawn mower, etc.), then see if they can earn back more than the first $100-200 they spent (which was your "loan").  Let them dream big and make mistakes and learn (but, of course, help them have a decent idea too that has a chance).  If you want it to be scientific, you could have what they do relate to something scientific (growing seeds?). :)

Usborne has a lot of really good books - various "See Inside" books, and now there are different levelled historical readers too (which are high quality).

Magnatiles are great for playing and for math.

One word....Timberdoodle.:) I received their catalog in the mail yesterday, and their stuff looks amazing. A lot of learning games, hands-on, building stuff that could be used many years over.

I would link you up, but don't know how to on the kindle. However request a catalog so a long leisurely look could be possible.

I attempted to post earlier, but it didn't work out, so I apologize in advance if this double posts.:D

I would look at spending a portion on some nice art supplies, and either art prints or a book with very nice reproductions.

A good quality atlas and dictionary.

Music lessons, possibly some physical lessons with an emphasis on practicality and just being active, swimming and basic skating are good investments or for younger kids gymnastics or dance.  Older kids some group activities if they like or really whatever interests them that doesn't involve 5am wake up times and thousands of dollars in fees and equipment.  Around here there is a lot of rowing and I might consider a summer club membership for an older child.

A good basic music collection.

For science I would possibly get a microscope, and I would look at at least one hand lens, and some other materials for doing things like mounting specimens, maybe a dissection kit, a net, good rain boots.

A good telescope and microscope

Science kits such as Science in a Nutshell

Some magazine subscriptions

A full set of McGuffey Readers

Lots of art supplies

Art lessons

Music lessons

Swim lessons

Field trips

Lots and lots of great literature

Some math extras

Toobs for making history dioramas

A laminating machine

A good dictionary and thesaurus and reference material

Any needed technology, such as a kindle

Classical music

Foreign language curriculum

Math extras like Multiplication the Fun Way, board games, etc.

Basically, a shopping trip to Lakeshore Learning

A mobile flip chart and chalkboard

Storage

Other than music lessons (which are a priority for me, but I'm not sure if $2400 would cover all three kids), my next highest priority for that age range would be foreign language.  But here's my list...

A variety of foreign language cd's for the car (Teach Me ___ and More ____ has been fun for us)

Foreign language DVD's (Muzzy, Lyric Language, Little Pim)

An e-reader or three

An mp3 player or three, with child-safe headphones

Some good audio books or an audible membership

Museum or nature center membership

Map Trek

Any supplementary books for your math program (or add in Singapore IP and/or CWP)

Any math manipulatives you don't yet have for your math program

Math games (perhaps Right Start's set, or a book like Peggy Kaye's if you want to stretch your dollars)

An art curriculum and art supplies

Sister Wendy art DVD's (on my wish list)

A few Better Binders from Staples

A year's supply of Mirado Black Warriors

A good pencil sharpener (I love my Classroom Friendly Supplies one)