Menu

nvm

mathmarm

This is a very stressful list to me. Some children will know some of these things, other will know less, others more. Just about everyone will have everything down by grade two without even thinking about it. I don't think there's anything to be gained in trying to quantify what a five year old should master.

• Like 17

So many things:)

But have you seen the books 'What your Preschooler Needs to Know' and 'What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know' have such great comprehensive lists with everything all in one place.

In addition, the Montessori Early Childhood lists are fantastic for the more practical, sensorial skills and include community/safety/academic/physical etc., as well.

• Like 3

I thought that since this is a classical homeschool board (with a strong eclectic representation) that other parents would have similar priorities on the types of knowledge and experiences that they intentionally expose their kids too since the first phase of Classical Education emphasizes the learning of and memorization of facts on which to build a coherent knowledge base. And Eclectic education is all about using what works to best teach your kids.

If lists do not work for your family, then do not try and force you and your kids to be the square peg in a round hole.

If your list is different then please share it. This is MY list, and if your list is different then please share it. 

It is my hope that this become a collaborative list from which individual families can pick and choose topics (and eventually related reading materials) to share with their children before "formal" school years. (ie, share with your child as toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartens)

Just to clarify: This is not meant to be a list of all things that any--or even the "average"--first grader is supposed to know about.

This list is incomplete and a work in progress

This is a list of things I would like to REMEMBER to teach my child about via reading, discussion, games, posters, etc.

Do what works for you and your kids.

How to cross the street

Various aspects of privacy: respecting other's privacy, keeping private parts covered, not touching other's private parts,what to do if someone tries to touch theirs, etc

How to behave when meeting an unfamiliar dog

Oh, very good ones! Yes, we are definitely working on how to walk nicely in public and traffic safety is definitely a part of that.

Privacy is something we need to make sure we cover, I'll file it away under Self Care and Social Skills. We have a book on body education that we like that is very gentle.

I would never have thought to teach about manners for unfamiliar animals. Thank you, that is an excellent one.

So many things:)

But have you seen the books 'What your Preschooler Needs to Know' and 'What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know' have such great comprehensive lists with everything all in one place.

In addition, the Montessori Early Childhood lists are fantastic for the more practical, sensorial skills and include community/safety/academic/physical etc., as well.

I remember reading and not caring for the "What your Preschooler Needs to Know" book, I can't remember if I read or dismissed the Kindergartener book. I'll get a hold of them both and give them another reading.

We have a Montessori at home based set up for him already and he learns self care type skills with his grandparents (their his babysitters when I'm at work) who explicitly teach him self care skills. We are considering a PT Montessori Preschool for him later this year, we are probably going to enroll him and just see how he does, its family owned so we have the inside scoop, and a reserved spot.

Maybe we are just coming at this from very different starting points. I'm on my phone, so I can't see whether you have a sig line with ages. Is your oldest pre-k level? If that is the case, I can see maybe you feeling like you need a list of readiness skills, but honestly there is no finite, or even basic, body of knowledge a child should have before starting formal schooling. Once you look back, you Will realize just how much you have taught your child organically, list or no. After all, you didn't have a toddler list and your toddler probably survived and thrived in spite of (or because of) that.

I'm coming at this from the weariness of lists and schedules and transcripts and SAT's and such. There are so many years to quantify. Childhood shouldn'tbe an endless slog of getting ready for the next stage. Development isn't linear. It happens in lurches and sideways slides. Pre-k and k are the years to focus on following your child's bliss. Art, science, math, music and tons of books...if you focus on breadth and quality and exposure you will naturally cover most of your list and discover some surprises. These are the years to uncover what it is that makes their eyes shine and then follow those rabbit trails.

Or not :) just don't freak out the newcomers who may freak out when they hear they need a list, lol

• Like 12

Some things in your list make sense, but... atoms and molecules for a Ker?  I don't think so.

Many things in the rest of your list may simply come up in conversation from time to time.  I'd concern myself with skills rather than content.

Eta:

--sounds of letters/phonograms (not necessarily ALL of them, but a handful for sure.)

In my area, knowing some letter sounds would be a start-of-K skill rather than start-of-1st.

• Like 5

You know what? You were probably a bright, curious kid and can hardly wait to share knowledge with your own bright, curious kids. I'm the same way. My best friend is a cuddly, crafty mom. My old neighbor was the amusement park mom. My daughters' girlfriend's mom is the sports mom. We all have different ways we show love to our children and mine is to show them how the world works.

Just be sure you and your child have rhythm. Make your list work for you, if that's how you best operate. Just don't let it get in your way.

• Like 3

Some things in your list make sense, but... atoms and molecules for a Ker? I don't think so.

I don't know why its any more bizarre a thought that a toddler, PreKer or Ker can learn that atoms and molecules exist than it is that they can learn that numbers exist, but to each their own, I suppose.

Many things in the rest of your list may simply come up in conversation from time to time. I'd concern myself with skills rather than content.

Which type of skills do you think are good to focus on? Do you prefer a more academic preschool and kindergarten experience in your homeschool? We are trying for an experience, reading and discussion based learning experience before school age which is why we didn't prioritize many academic skills.

Because numbers are concrete. Atoms and molecules are abstract and not really of interest to a four year old. And this is coming from a woman whose daughter aced university physics at 15.5. She would not have cared in preschool. Germs, yes. Atoms, no. Can you teach your child about atoms and molecules? Sure, why not? They child may really click with it. But if the child couldn't care less (which is likelier than not, even with a high-iq child), you should be willing to let it go until a later date and try again. I fear a list of skills may not allow you to do this. But I don't know you personally. Maybe that isn't the case.

• Like 3

Yeah, it will probably be the same for our area with CC coming now that I think about it.

A lot of the research I've read suggest that boys develop literacy skills and mastery more slowly than girls so thats why I was shooting for some rather than all, I really wish there was a good, all boys school in my area so that boys could be nurtured academically and not be stigmatized or penalized for developing as males.

So you are planning an academic preschool year or two before placing your children in school? Or do I misunderstand?

• Like 1

I agree w/Barb that you'll find your way just fine.  Some of the content you are thinking about (e.g. the physical science) will come up in your daily life, because it's fun for you, and you will then have a better idea of what your child is able to understand at any particular point in time.  You will not worry if he doesn't understand, because it just doesn't matter for a Ker.  And if he does, bonus.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

It does look like your oldest is 2 y.o. or not quite? 

I will say we picked the most rigorous math we could find, and my DD is just finishing the first grade level. And she can add and subtract with regrouping within 100, but she can not count by 2s, and certainly can not count backwards by 2s, 5s or 10s without a 100s chart in front of her. 

I do think the list is a bit of a mish mash, with a lot of stuff kids should know by the time they are two or three and a some stuff that seems more appropriate for 2nd or 3rd grade. We do TONS of science and science reading and atoms and molecules and elements have not entered the picture yet. 

I have found my state's list of standards for each grade to be very helpful. They list everything they expect a child coming into and leaving kindergarten to know and be able to do. I consider it the minimum baseline. Usually actually I look a year ahead and hope to hit those standards if possible. 

Yeah, it will probably be the same for our area with CC coming now that I think about it.

A lot of the research I've read suggest that boys develop literacy skills and mastery more slowly than girls so thats why I was shooting for some rather than all, I really wish there was a good, all boys school in my area so that boys could be nurtured academically and not be stigmatized or penalized for developing as males.

You're borrowing trouble here. The average child isn't your child. Let his abilities weaknesses unfold as he grows and you will learn what he needs and how to provide it as those needs arise.

• Like 5

This is a very stressful list to me.

I felt pretty overwhelmed when I started reading the list too, to be honest. And then when I went to reread the list, it actually wasn't so bad. I can actually check off almost all of those things for my 4yo, depending on what exactly is meant by some of these things.

What does 'elements' mean in the context of "things to know before first grade"? Know the periodic table? Or just have a faint inkling of some small building blocks and a couple of examples? That's actually one that he may not meet the OP's req. But he knows that things are made of molecules (yay Magic School Bus), and he's heard of atoms. But I don't think he could name any of the elements (although he's heard of carbon, oxygen, and a few others), and I'm not even sure he knows what elements are. I'm completely unconcerned about that. I think that for early elementary it's about enough to know that everything is made out of smaller things that are so small that you cannot see them. Sure, call them atoms while you explain that. If the kid is interested, explain it in as much detail as s/he wants to know. But the kid won't be ruined if you delay the fine details of chemistry until 2nd or even 3rd grade. ;)

• Like 1

Edited after reading a few of your board posts to get an idea of where you're coming from:

I see you are by profession a teacher. You love to plan. You seem comfortable with goals, expect linear progression, obvious movement from one step to the next, and plan to put your children (or maybe just your oldest son? He is the one you seem to refer to) into school or possibly preschool. You're on a different track with a different philosophy than many if not most homeschooling parents. For you and your goal of preparing your child for a group schooling environment, your plan is fine. You get to spend some really solid face time in the early years before they are gone doing their own thing on their own schedule. But you have to understand that parents who are homeschooling full time are staring down 12 years per child of lists and schedules and checklists and credits. Most of us (not all, but most) revel in the early years of exploration and freedom before we have to sit on our kids and require a certain body of knowledge. Homeschooling is a different culture than group schooling, so you can't really be surprised when you ask a question expecting to hear answers relating to your (school) culture, goals and philosophy and get answers based on my experience as a 20 year homeschooling veteran. You want lists...I feel like lists in preschool are an anathema. We are both right. Many paths to the same outcomes :)

I don't know that the conversation is off the rails, it has just gone in directions you didn't expect it to. I'll duck out since we seem to be talking past one another. I realize I haven't been helpful because I was operating under the assumption you were a newly minted homeschooling parent heading for burnout before you began. I could have done with an little context in the original post. Anyway, enjoy your children :)

• Like 5

I really would suggest you pick up a copy of "What your Kindergartner needs to know". Even if you don't agree with it, it will give you a pretty thorough look into what some other people think.

I just noticed that history is missing on your list. I'm not going to make a list of everything a kid needs to know/have been exposed to by the start of first grade, but stuff like dinosaurs way before people, cave men, early civilizations, middle ages, discovery of america, industrialization, etc might be useful to have some sort of a clue about.

Telling time. Although they're covering that just now in my son's 2nd grade class. For your own sanity though, it's useful if a kid knows how to tell time, so you can say "don't wake me up till 8 on the weekend" and things like that. :)

• Like 3

I guess if you expect these topics to be covered in a formal way during the PreK and K years then it may seem impossible or daunting, but by reading and discussing the right books, taking the correct field trips, discussing photographs and such, I didn't expect that it is too much. Can anyone help me pare down the list to what they feel is more realistic for a child to know by 1st grade/school age?

I wanted to come back to this. There are no "wrong" books or "incorrect" field trips for kids*. I don't think that's how you meant the above, but I felt compelled to say it anyway. What's realistic for the mythological average kid entering 1st grade depends on what you want to focus on. I don't think your list is impossible (like I said, I think I can check off almost everything on it for my 4yo, who admittedly is advanced (and probably quite gifted) and imo should go to 1st grade next year), but every kid is different, and what goals people have for their kids are different too.

To stick with those pesky elements and atoms... it's easy to expose a kid to those. Whether the kid is interested depends partially on the kid and partially on how the material is presented. Whether a kid remembers any of it also depends on the kid and how it was presented. Whether someone thinks a kid should have been exposed to those before first grade depends on the person. It's hardly vital to being a good first grader. In fact, the school may very well not talk about atoms etc at all in first grade, so that the kid may completely forget about them unless you keep exposing the kid at home. Which is not the end of the world. It does mean I don't think it's overly useful to include them on a list of things kids should be familiar with before first grade.

Other example: it's quite possible to teach the average kid a foreign language before first grade. Some people think that's important (some people even teach their kids more than one foreign language before first grade). But that doesn't mean that it's necessary, or that everybody thinks it's important. A lot of adults know only their native language and get by just fine. Some people learn foreign languages when they're older (I began to learn English when I was 12yo and I turned out fine**).

My advice? Making lists can be fun. But ditch the list when playing with your kid and teaching him. Go with the flow.

*with the exception R-rated or NC-17-rated stuff, which would be inappropriate.

**well, my English did. My mental health is another matter, but I don't think early exposure to a foreign language would have made a difference in *that*.

• Like 3

I don't think any of those things are inappropriate if covered in a way takes the age into consideration. If you're using books to expose them, I'm sure it will be just fine. My 4 yo can do most of those things. My k-er could check them all off, except "the sun is the center of the universe" because that's incorrect. The sun is the center of the solar system.😉

• Like 1

I agree that most of the topics don't seem inappropriate, and many even a younger child COULD master... but I also agree with Barb, that I think most of us are simply coming from a different place. If your goal is to prepare your child for a classroom/brick and mortar school situation, I definitely understand why you want to plan a more comprehensive early education for your kiddo.... just understand that for most of us, when you ask us to help brainstorm such a plan, can't really relate - most of us aren't planning a brick and mortar school setting for our kids prior to college (or at least high school). 

Looking at your list, I would say it looks great, but I might pare down the content subject expectations, choosing instead to focus on really mastering the skill subject areas. Having had a child in brick in mortar school for first grade, it you send your child in with very firm phonics and early math skills, your kiddo will do very well - the content subjects aren't going to matter going in (of course they matter in the long-term, but not going into first grade).

• Like 1

I see you are by profession a teacher. You love to plan. You seem comfortable with goals, expect linear progression, obvious movement from one step to the next, and plan to put your children (or maybe just your oldest son? He is the one you seem to refer to) into school or possibly preschool. 

I have some even clearer advice to add to this. Don't expect linear progression, Mathmarm. It is the rare 5 yo who learns a skill one day and then can continue to perform it every day for the rest of the year. Most kids do the most infuriating thing - they learn to do something, say, blend sounds or add single digit numbers, and they do great with it for a few days and then they completely lose the ability to do it at all. And then it's like you're starting all over with them. Or, they'll quickly go from not reading to reading short readers a matter of a few weeks and then not progress any more for months and months. And that's all pretty normal. And I think the people who make checklists sometimes are the people who need to be explicitly told this.

I think making a list of things to expose a kindergartener to in social studies and science like that is very overwhelming for most people and is also mostly pointless. And I say this as someone who read a lot of science books and did all of SOTW1 with her kids when they were in kindergarten, so it's not like I shied away from content subjects with my kids at that age. But some of the stuff they'll remember, some of it they completely won't. And if it's down to what's most important, then I would personally say that interacting with a kid and discussing the world around them, taking field trips, being in nature, visiting museums, and reading aloud is all more important than covering any of that content information. For example, if a family did all those things but somehow didn't cover but a tiny fraction of that information was compared to a family who had a little kindy textbook and read a passage a day about that information, I would say, hands down, that the first family would have done a superior job. Which, I hate putting it that way... I mean, it's not a contest and all kinds of things can work for kids. But my point is that taking advantage of what's around you and what's offered and what wonderful books hook kids' interest is more important for content in the early years than any checklist. Being out there in the world, engaging your kids. And you can't put that on a checklist, which I know is hard.

• Like 7

For me, the priorities were literacy and numeracy (I have draconian tendencies in that regard, by some people's estimation), and a general atmosphere of constant learning and curiosity. You can teach a preschooler about the solar system and the names of the planets with full understanding on their part, but unless you run through them regularly (drilling) a kid that age will only remember bits and pieces long-term. The same goes for atoms and molecules, ecosystems, history, etc. That doesn't mean, at all, that it's not worth doing the learning in the first place, but IMO the goal is just exposure, not fact retention, at that age. 

I think of everything in the Pre-K to probably first grade years, aside from literacy and numeracy, as a ''crumb coat'', if you're familiar with cake decorating. The crumb coat puts down that first layer of frosting and some of it sticks, but it's pretty patchy and that's just fine. 

Looking at your list, I would say it looks great, but I might pare down the content subject expectations, choosing instead to focus on really mastering the skill subject areas. Having had a child in brick in mortar school for first grade, it you send your child in with very firm phonics and early math skills, your kiddo will do very well - the content subjects aren't going to matter going in (of course they matter in the long-term, but not going into first grade).

I agree with this and other similar statements. My oldest is almost three and my thinking about how to "be" in this toddler-to-preschool stage has changed a lot in the last six months. I had thought that early reading, writing and math was most important to me, but after six months of having my toddler in a toddler group at a Montessori school which is very focused on early academic skill achievement, my priorities have changed. I want to feed her emotional health, imagination, and understanding of the real world in this stage instead! Lists of skills are a nice tool, but the real challenge is knowing your deeper convictions and then living them as you respond to your child.

Some things in your list make sense, but... atoms and molecules for a Ker? I don't think so.

I don't know why its any more bizarre a thought that a toddler, PreKer or Ker can learn that atoms and molecules exist than it is that they can learn that numbers exist, but to each their own, I suppose.

Many things in the rest of your list may simply come up in conversation from time to time. I'd concern myself with skills rather than content.

Which type of skills do you think are good to focus on? Do you prefer a more academic preschool and kindergarten experience in your homeschool? We are trying for an experience, reading and discussion based learning experience before school age which is why we didn't prioritize many academic skills.

Molecules and atoms are way, way too abstract for the average five year old. If a rising first grader can wipe themselves without help, raise their hand to ask questions, and speak in a way that is understandable 90% of the time, I think the playing field is level enough. The knowledge comes, and it comes at vastly different rates for different kiddos. By second to third grade almost all of them have leveled off but the development of 4-7 year olds in an incredibly broad range for normal.

I have read about the importance of "background" knowledge in early childhood learning in a couple of a places and since in our house we discuss a lot of math and science in our household--Jr, will hear a lot of science, math and tech Jargon and I figure that he can understand more if he knows some basic concepts and vocabulary. Or he'll just learn some extra words and not understand any more of what he hears. Maybe we are just coming at this from different places like you said, Barb_, or else folks didn't read the OP very closely because I said

Hello mathmarm,

I'm also a teacher and a homeschool mom. I homeschooled my oldest dd up until last year (she's in 9th grade now), and will be starting over with my 4yo. I've taught in the schools through 1st grade and tutored through 7th. That's just to give a little of my professional background.

I just want to touch a little bit on background knowledge, as early childhood is what my license is in (through 3rd grade). Most of the problems with lack of background knowledge comes from students that do not have an enriching home with books and parents that talk to them about a variety of things. A student who has been exposed to many books and ideas will not have a problem. But, even students from a literate environment will have different background from one another. That is not a problem. The point is exposure to different ideas. There is no list that says students should have background knowledge in xyz of social studies and science to succeed in 1st grade. 

But, if they do, great! If those things are usual topics in your household, then that is fine. I'm understanding it to mean that you talk about these things, so would like your child to have an understanding of what you normally talk about. You are not trying to force-feed different subjects because you believe your child "needs to know" by first grade. Because, he doesn't. His experience will be different than the prek student I had who is growing up on a horse vet clinic, or the student whose parents work in an Indian market. All the background knowledge is valuable, keeps the brain active and ready for learning. There are students who have no stimulation at all, except to sit in front of the tv all day. Now, if it was discovery channel, they'd get something. But, it's usually not Discovery.

I believe in play-based learning, which it sounds like you are on that spectrum (experience, hands-on). The state prek program was also play-based. We didn't have a content list, but a skills list. That means,these skills can be honed through any content presented. We followed children's interests instead of a set curriculum or list of content, and built and applied these skills based on the interests.

The science skills they wanted to see progress in were:

1. Makes predictions and forms hypothesis (the range is from student asking "why" to student carrying out ideas with teacher assistance)

2. Groups, sorts, classifies materials by one or more characteristics (from matching to pictures that are the same, to creating own patterns)

3. Uses senses to investigate characteristics and behaviors in the natural and physical world, begins to form explanations based on observations and explorations.(range from playing with different textures/materials to conducting hands-on, guided, multisensory experiments and makes comments about observations)

If you plan to put your child in school in 1st, then look to your state standards for kindergarten science concepts expected. CC only covers math and reading, the states still have everything else.

For literacy, I wanted to comment on "what a character, setting and plot is." I'm co-authoring a first grade writing curriculum for a company, and the CC guideline is " characters, setting, and major events." So, they are learning plot in K and first grade, but are more interested in sequence of major events. There are a lot of free materials online that have pictures of stories that can be put in order. Also, because of cc, students are expected to know an exorbitant amount of sight words and short and long vowel sounds by the end of kindergarten.

For spelling, it can be done oral (I co-authored a portion of the K curriculum as well). Spelling at this level is a lot of phonemic awareness: If I change the first sound of sat to /m/, what word is it? If I change the last sound of that word to /p/, what will it be? If I change the vowel from /a/ to /o/, what is that word?

A lot on the list you have can wait until prek/k. Did you need toddler ideas too?

Wow, this got long. I hope there's info here to help you.

• Like 4

I would not be teaching my children that the sun is the centre of the universe, especially since there is some discussion of whether the solar system has other elements to it as yet undiscovered - if we cannot even be sure of that and we know that the sun is fairly far from the centre of the Milky Way then why on earth (or in the universe lol) would the sun be the centre of an expanding universe?

• Like 2

My daughter is about to be done with K and she knows most of this, but not all. And I'm cool with that. We haven't gone over much science at all this year, just what comes up in conversation or in picture books. We haven't done subtraction yet in math, I plan to cover that in 1st grade. She can skip count by 2's 5's and 10's but definitely not go backwards.

• Like 1

If music is important to you, you might consider starting music lessons.  Dd started them shortly after turning 4 and it is just crazy to see what she can do with a violin now.  She has had 5-6 months of lessons.  She is reading so her instructor is teaching her a mix of suzuki and traditional.

• Like 1

I would not be teaching my children that the sun is the centre of the universe, especially since there is some discussion of whether the solar system has other elements to it as yet undiscovered - if we cannot even be sure of that and we know that the sun is fairly far from the centre of the Milky Way then why on earth (or in the universe lol) would the sun be the centre of an expanding universe?

I was a bit confused by that one as well. Why teach misinformation?

I agree with music lessons, and also a little bit of foreign language.  Money and how to use it.  Basics of telling time.  A little study of global geography.  Some varied biographies so they understand a little history, geography, diversity, careers, etc.

Body awareness, swimming, reasonable table manners.  How to talk to strangers.  What to do if they feel they've gotten lost.

That making mistakes is OK, that trying again is (usually) the solution.  That being slower/faster than others is normal and OK.

I think your list is a little light on reading mechanics and heavy on science.  As for some of the literacy skills, yes to familiarity with the concepts, no to needing the vocabulary.  Number sense should be up to at least a few dozen, preferably 100 if the child can comprehend that high.

Children at that age are developing at such different speeds. Each of my children could have happily achieved parts of your list but not all of it. Insisting on the whole list would have been to throw away one of the joys of home education: delighting in your child's individuality.

• Like 3

This is a very stressful list to me. Some children will know some of these things, other will know less, others more. Just about everyone will have everything down by grade two without even thinking about it. I don't think there's anything to be gained in trying to quantify what a five year old should master.

Reposting because the bolded, especially, cannot be stated often enough. 

I don't think there's anything to be gained in trying to quantify what a five year old should master.

I don't think there's anything to be gained in trying to quantify what a five year old should master.

• Like 6

Children at that age are developing at such different speeds. Each of my children could have happily achieved parts of your list but not all of it. Insisting on the whole list would have been to throw away one of the joys of home education: delighting in your child's individuality.

Another worth repeating.

Classical education isn't about exhaustive and draconian universal lists.  If one reads Well-Trained Mind, Susan makes it very clear that the child's individual pace and talents are of utmost concern.  Yes, you want to keep your child challenged, but not to the extent that you drill and kill the natural curiosity, wonder and love for learning that nearly all small children seem to have in abundance.

OP, nearly all the people advising against your list have been around the parenting and homeschooling block for many years.  Many have been former educators, too.  I am one of those, as well.  They/we are not just reacting to your list and tone, we have been in the trenches and we know this through years of experience and the years of observation on this very forum.  We've seen and heard this before.  These things never seem to end well for the parents or the children, IME. 

Trust me when I say that squashing your child's natural love and joy for learning in favour of some idealized interpretation of "rigour" will be the most regrettable thing you may ever do as a parent.  BTDT, and still ashamed beyond words for having done it in the first place, despite learning better and correcting that egregious and woeful error. The case remains, however, that my child will never get those regrettable years back.  His completely avoidable loss will forever be solely my fault and my shame.

• Like 5

What I want my Kinder to know before 1st:

-Not to pick his nose in public or wipe boogers on clothes, walls, doors etc

-Wear underwear when we leave the house

-Not put hands in pants in public

-To say Please and Thank You

-To not pee outside

-To put books back on shelf when done using them as car ramps

-To not chase pets with water gun

-To know how to hold a pencil and know that it it not a missile

-To not eat glue 

-To know how to put on pants even if backwards

My youngest has almost mastered this list.

• Like 6

Back again. I think it can be tempting to see people who seem to be saying, 'relax and let time pass' as slackers whose children will underachieve. For that reason I want to add some detail.

Calvin could not write legibly until he was about eight, could not tie his shoes until he was nine and struggled enormously with geometry because his visual spatial skills did not match his other intellectual abilities. I was still scribing most of his work for him when he was ten. There was no standard list that we could have ticked at any stage of his development.

Nevertheless, by meeting him where he was and celebrating his talents, we were able to give him space to soar. He is about to complete his first year at Oxford University.

• Like 8

I don't understand why the general assumption seems to be that the OP would be tackling this material with her child in a way that detracts from or disregards their individual development.

I took her post to mean she wants an experience-rich atmosphere for her child to learn various subjects. The part people are responding to is the thought there are certain subjects her child has to know in order to succeed in first grade. That is one reason why I responded to the part about background knowledge. Any background knowledge is valuable, there is not a list of specific background knowledge a child needs in order to enter first grade. I think a lot of what people are responding to she has already deleted.

• Like 1

That is way too much for us!

I want my children to meet these goals before they start first grade

- print upper and lowercase letters, reversals are fine.

- count 1-100

- recognize 1-20

- be able to read simple sentences like the cat say on the mat

- understand simple addition and subtraction.

Everything else is gravy!

I think people forget about practical skills, and overemphasize academics. I am working with my kindergarten on cutting with a sharp knife (steak type), setting and clearing the table, tying shoes, etc. 

The OP does actually have personal care skills in her list. She doesn't say "tying shoes", but she does say something along the lines of taking shoes off and putting shoes on.

My 7.5yo nor my 4yo can tie their shoes. The biggest obstacle to that is that they don't have any shoes with laces. I considered buying shoes with laces *just* for the sake of teaching them to learn to tie their shoes, but really, why? I'm sure it's not going to be any harder to learn when they're a little older, and *I* buy shoes for myself that don't have laces (the one exception being my hiking boots). It's on my to-do list for things to learn before they finish elementary school, but it's not something I think every kid should learn before 1st grade.