Menu

Is there a term like "thrice exceptional?"

Maus

So if you call a kid who is gifted and has learning disabilities "twice exceptional," but you can also call a kid who is gifted and has mental health issues "twice exceptional," can you call a kid who is gifted and has learning disabilities and has mental health issues "thrice exceptional"?

There needs to be a name for that, because it makes about as much sense to call such a child "2E" as it does to call a 2E child "gifted."  True ...ish, but so not the whole picture.

• Like 1

I'm liking where LizzyB is going with this!  Ds now has that full mix, though actually to the power of *4* if you can imagine.  Or 5?  Dang, we shouldda just stopped counting!   :lol:   Yeah, I was a little uptight by the end of the week, but for now I'm chilled and my plan is to STAY that way for about the next 15 years!   :coolgleamA:

autism

SPD

adhd

triple learning disorders 

verbal apraxia

gifted

In other words, when he gets it out, it's amazing.  Unless he's bolting away or punching you or telling you he hates you because you brought the DINOSAUR t-shirt instead of the other shirt...  Oh yeah.  And there are no words for it.  I went around the convention hall and vendors would look at me funny, wanting to help, and I'd just stand there.  Like what in the WORLD do you say to that??  You don't.  You just eventually say "I've got a really special little boy."  And he is.  

• Like 3

I think that it should be a term for those who are gifted + LD + physically disabled. It was hard enough dealing with my little one being 2E and now with the hearing impairment it just makes trying to figure out what is going on with her even that much more challenging.

I've come across the term "Deaf plus" for kids who have both a hearing impairment and another disability. So maybe I should call her "Deaf plus plus"? That kind of sounds like a computer programming language to me ("My daughter operates in Deaf plus plus"), LOL!

• Like 4

I attended a session on 2e learners at a homeschool convention in February. The speaker made a passing comment that she wasn't going to go into "2e with a physical disability learners," as that field was way too varied to do it justice in an hr session.

I have a child with mild CP - gifted but a multitude of related issues - physical, academic and emotional.

Someone on this forum once mentioned (joked?) about 3e learners, which is pretty much how I view my child. Gifted, with a learning disability and a physical disability. He doesn't fit into any mold.

• Like 1

Goodness, OhElizabeth and GoVanGogh, we could potentially need 4E or 5E, or even higher, because besides physical disability, there's chronic illness.  I was just thinking if DH went back to school, he'd be a 4E learner, because he's gifted, dyslexic, mentally ill, and diabetic.

(Knock on wood:  so far, the kids don't have any physical issues (besides the general clumsiness that comes with their other issues.))

• 6 years later...