Menu

Am I the only one who names cars?

MomtoCandJ

The dc named our white van Shadowfax. They did this at the dealership when we took it for a test drive. Dh and I knew we had to buy it then! Happily, we were still able to bargin for a decent deal, but I kept thinking, "I think the dc would cry if we didn't actually bring Shadowfax home with us."

A few months later dh bought a little grey utility trailer, and it just had to be named "Gandolf the Grey." ;)

• Like 1

Most of the cars my parents had while we were growing up had names, and most of my sisters name their cars. I've never even thought about naming our car before, but we've only ever had one at a time so it's just the car. My nephews were here this weekend and their old car Balrog came up.

My first car was a hand-me-down from my dad. It was a 1984 Chrysler New Yorker...very swanky...very plush.

It had a voicebox: "A door... is ajar." Said in a British male voice.

We called him Winston.

We had a hand-me-down white Chrysler that talked, too--I know exactly the voice you mean.

My oldest and I do. The kids play along. Dh does not.

My big van is Bee, as in Beatrice. Dh and ds have gotten new cars recently that are still unnamed. Dd's first car was Carlos and dh's last car was Hobart. Dd refered to Carlos so often by that her whole school knew him by name. (She goes to a tiny high school w 40 students)

Aww, we had a car called The Beast. I truly miss that car.

We had a Smokey the Big Blue Beast... It was a blue 1983 Ford F-150 that was really really loud, leaked oil (blue smoke), and lots of other issues. We only paid the price of a case of beer for it and we had going for almost a year (I drove it once before you had to arc the cylinoid to start it, told dh never again).

Shadowfax, my silverish minivan, got totaled by dd (she was unhurt). 

The replacement car, Goldie the gold sedan, died last May in our huge crash.

Ruby the red Jeep Compass, her (gently used) replacement is our latest named vehicle.

Note - I needed spell check to help with the word vehicle. Initially, I had misspelled it so bad that spell check thought I meant "lovechild"  hahaha I love my cars, but not that much!

shoot - spell check made me correct spellcheck.

This reminds me - in the 60's my folks had a Beetle....Herbie.  Our huge white station wagon was the Saturn Five.  And one did not merely park that beast - it had to be "docked".

• Like 2

We just bought a 2013 Honda CRV this week and I want to name her but I can't come up with anything that feels right. This is the first vehicle in a very long time that is only mine so it needs to be something special.

Cordelia!

(Just popped into my head and I couldn't resist posting!)

• Like 1

Years ago my friends had a beat-up, old, green Datsun sedan, and called it "Agnes".  I've never come across a better-suited name for a car since then - it was just perfect for that car.

I dubbed our current vehicle "Pearl".  It's white - and it cost a lot! (As in, the "pearl of great price").

• Like 1

DH names computers and robots.  I name vehicles and whatever else takes my fancy.  My first minivan was Red Rover, and now I drive a blue one named Blue Belle.  My ILs used to have a large, red Suburban we dubbed Bert (for BRT, short for Big Red Truck).  They now drive a charcoal grey one we call Bart (Black Bart, or Black BRT).

My mom named all our cars when I was growing up. I carried on the tradition, but I've gotten lax. Currently I drive a Toyota Highlander named Jamie, and ds drives a white Pontiac Vibe named Ghost. Dd's Honda Civic and Dh's Nissan pickup are both unnamed AFAIK.

I finally named my "new" 2013 Honda CRV. It came to me as I was half asleep. My best ideas always seem to come when I'm showering or half asleep. Weird.

Anyway, my car's name is Serenity. It kinda defines how I feel when I drive her plus I love this quote from Serenity.

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

• Like 1

I finally named my "new" 2013 Honda CRV. It came to me as I was half asleep. My best ideas always seem to come when I'm showering or half asleep. Weird.

Anyway, my car's name is Serenity. It kinda defines how I feel when I drive her plus I love this quote from Serenity.

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

But her middle name is Cordelia...right?!

*fingers crossed*

:)

• Like 1

In 2008 we were in a unique position of being able to order a vehicle brand new, just how we wanted it.  I'd only ever had used cars before that.  It was pretty special and I got all I wanted in my fully loaded Nissan Pathfinder v8 4WD with a creamy off-white pearlized paint.  I named her Sweet White Heat because she SO IS. LOL  My license says SWHHT.  Never named a car before her but she deserves it.  :lol:

My step-mom named all the cars.  Big yellow '77 Oldsmobile... Big Bertha. Lincoln Town Car... Abe.

My grandma had a car with the license plate ...TMC. She said that when she was in a parking lot she would look for the license plate because it meant "that's my car."