Menu

Hunting families, a few questions for you

mommymonster

We are not a hunting family, but have a few questions for those who do hunt about ammunition. As background, DS9 has been researching California condor conservation. In our reading, we learned that a number of animals (for example, California condors, eagles, bobcats, etc) may get lead poisoning when they eat gut piles of animals such as deer, bear, elk, and antelope shot with lead bullets. According to some sites, there are bullets made of copper that won't poison animals and function similarly to lead bullets. 

Here are the questions:

(i) What state do you live/hunt in?

(ii) Is this an issue that is hotly debated (or, have you heard of concerns regarding lead poisoning from lead bullets)?

(iii) If you've heard of the issue, is the issue controversial?

(iv) Do you hunt with lead bullets or copper bullets and why?

This isn't meant to be a controversial topic. We're genuinely interested in the topic, and don't know if everyone already shoots with copper, so this is a non-issue, or if there are reasons that people stick with lead. Please, help us to understand this one!

Alaska - no lead shot allowed for waterfowl hunting here (not exactly what you asked).   DH says he doesn't know anyone who hunts with lead shot anyway.  He mostly goes for bigger game (moose, bear, elk when we are in Montana) and they use modern ammo - copper or steel jacket over lead alloy core.

No one ever discusses this issue here that I have heard, so I don't think it is a hot topic.

• Like 1

An atypical perspective.

i've owned and trained gun-dogs a long time. I have a beautiful young Vizsla (who turns 1 year old tomorrow) that I'm hunt training. We've been out to the birds (working with carded birds) a few times now. I love the experience of upland bird hunting for dog and man. With the drought here in California being so serve, and the implications for heathy wild-bird populations being so bad, I don't know that I'll be able to shoot wild birds in good conscience. It would be very different if numbers were high, healthy, and stable. Pen-raised birds on hunting preserves are not the same challenge, although the dog would like it. We will see,

I'm mostly familiar with non-toxic alternatives to lead shot in shotgun shells, as opposed bullets used in rifles. Unlike many, I support the ban on lead. The threat to wildlife (and people eating game) is too high to continue using lead IMO. Steel shot takes a little getting used to when choosing diameter and load, but isn't that big a deal. If lead wan't toxic it would be a beer choice. It is heavy, cheap, and soft. But it is toxic.

Is it controversial? You bet.  Board rules prevent much further comment, but you can guess.

The are some more exotic formulations involving alloys with tungsten and the like that are nearly indistinguishable from lead.

The one legitimate issue is many older shotguns can not be used with steel shot, as the barrels are too soft and will experience damage. Newer shotguns are designed for steel shot. Sometimes one has to re-invest in a sporting activity to stay current. Some folks are mad as spit. Not me.

Bill 

We are not a hunting family, but have a few questions for those who do hunt about ammunition. As background, DS9 has been researching California condor conservation. In our reading, we learned that a number of animals (for example, California condors, eagles, bobcats, etc) may get lead poisoning when they eat gut piles of animals such as deer, bear, elk, and antelope shot with lead bullets. According to some sites, there are bullets made of copper that won't poison animals and function similarly to lead bullets. 

Here are the questions:

(i) What state do you live/hunt in?

(ii) Is this an issue that is hotly debated (or, have you heard of concerns regarding lead poisoning from lead bullets)?

(iii) If you've heard of the issue, is the issue controversial?

(iv) Do you hunt with lead bullets or copper bullets and why?

This isn't meant to be a controversial topic. We're genuinely interested in the topic, and don't know if everyone already shoots with copper, so this is a non-issue, or if there are reasons that people stick with lead. Please, help us to understand this one!

I have some information that might help your son's research.  In Arizona, the Game & Fish Department worked with environmentalist groups a few years ago to tackle this problem.  The issue isn't controversial.  Most hunters are very concerned about the environment.  The problem in Arizona was that the non-leaded bullets were very expensive, even though hunters wanted to use them.

The solution that AZGFD and the environmentalist group (can't remember which one!) came up with, was to give coupons to the hunters who had hunting permits.  It has worked remarkably well!

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/documents/110715_NonLead_broch_FINAL.pdf

https://azgfdportal.az.gov/

If we happen to be lucky enough to hunt in Arizona, we use a bow and arrow.  Our younger children hunt with rifles, using nonlead bullets, procured with the coupon AZGFD sends.

ETA: It doesn't hurt that in the coupon sent out is for the very best ammo.  It's much, much better than what we might've bought on our own, so it's a no-brainer decision to use the coupon for the good stuff.