Menu

How do you buy magazines?

flyingiguana

Do you just go to the website of the magazine and pay what they're asking?  Or are there cheaper ways to do it?

I'm thinking of getting a subscription to Discover.  The Discover website is charging 19.95 per year, but there are a number of other websites claiming they can get me a subscription for $9.50 or $4.99.  Are any of those cheaper places reputable?

• Like 1

I've bought magazines through Magazines.com and at least one other distributor that I can't recall. I've never had problems with any of them. I've done plenty of "first year for $4.99!" deals (most recently The Atlantic Monthly and Organic Gardening), and those have been fine too. I've also gotten a few subscriptions through Groupon-type deals. Those seem to be less common now though.

ETA: Magazines.com seems to be offering two years of Discover for $29.95, and then there's a $5 coupon too. I can personally vouch for Magazines.com--most of our recent subs have come through them.

HTH!

If they are BBB accredited and say that they have the lowest prices authorized for Internet sales by the Publishers, they are reputable.

If one company has a subscription rate for the same period (12 or 24 months for example) that is much lower than another company, they are being dishonest with the Publisher and possibly they will be dishonest with their customers too.

Disclaimer: I have an affiliate web site to sell magazine subscriptions and am not soliciting your business.

I go through Magazines.com when it has good ebates deals and coupons. After Thanksgiving, they double the cash back (50%) and have coupons. (It coincides with the Cricket magazine sale to boot!) Best deals are usually on Cyber Monday. Anyway, Magazines.com and the others on ebates are legit. Check slickdeals for current coupon codes. Make sure you go in your account and change the subscription off auto-renew.