Menu

When do/did you allow your kids to ride in the front seat?

Just Kate

DH and DS are taking a guys road trip this summer, and ds is begging to be allowed to ride in the front seat. He has just turned 11, but he is 5 foot tall and weighs just over 100 lbs. Everything I've read says age 12, but it doesn't specify size requirements. Of course, most of ds's friends ride in the front seat now.

I do understand that ds will probably enjoy his trip with his dad more if he is riding in the front seat, but of course, I want to keep him safe. What are your thoughts?

14.  But my kids were kind of small.

Looks like the CDC says 13.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/passengersafety/

Some of the issue is that head on crashes in the front seat tend to be worse.  Some of it is the air bag.

You can turn off the air bag in newer cars, but I don't know at what point the risk from a crash without an air bag outweighs the risk from the air bag.

At the very least, it sounds like the child's seat should be pushed back as far from the dashboard as possible.

• Like 1

I told my kids 10, but the state law might have changed since then.

One of mine is so small, I am wishing I never said anything about the front seat ....

ETA:  good, our state law now says 12yo for the front seat.

I'm mean and would say no. Air bags work best for people at least 5'5". Of course, there's short people like me who will never be that tall. If your husband has an old car, there's no way I'd let a kid that age in front: new air bag systems are much, much safer for smaller front passengers.

• Like 1

The rule I read when pregnant was 5 foot tall, 100 pounds.  My MIL still won't be allowed in the front seat based on that rule.  

If I were in your situation, I'd apply common sense and I'd think your son is big/old enough to ride in the front seat.  I'd insist that the seat be pushed back a bit, the back reclined a bit, and the shoulder height of the seat belt adjusted just right.  

• Like 2

The guideline here is 13 here where feasible IIRC. So if you have a 5 seat sedan and you are driving 4 kids, one can ride in the front. I will admit though I let my 12 year old niece ride in the front seat even when she could have fit in the back. She's the same size as many fully grown women.

I've heard 5 feet, 100 lbs, 12 years.

For people who do not reach this height and weight and likely aren't going to I believe there are guidelines involving changing the seat position and turning off airbags when that person is driving or in the front passenger seat.

I started seating mine in the front around 14 or so. This was to get them to pay attention to driving behaviors and talk to them about driving before they got permits.

• Like 1

I allow my 13 yo to ride in the front seat.  She has been up there for 2 years now since she was on crutches for a few months and it was better for her not to share a seat with siblings.  She will probably never be 100 pounds or 5 feet tall, so I don't know if that is a good rule.  We're a pretty petite bunch; my youngest will probably still fit in her car seat and be able to drive the car due to the booster requirements!

I've heard 5 feet, 100 lbs, 12 years.

For people who do not reach this height and weight and likely aren't going to I believe there are guidelines involving changing the seat position and turning off airbags when that person is driving or in the front passenger seat.

I started seating mine in the front around 14 or so. This was to get them to pay attention to driving behaviors and talk to them about driving before they got permits.

Dd just pointed this out to me a few days ago. She is 14 but only about 100 lbs, so I still like for her to ride in the back. Last week on the way to her dance class, she said, "You know, it's only a year until I can get my permit. Maybe I should ride in the front some before I have to drive the thing!"  Only a year? Where did the time go?

• Like 2

I can't find this now, but I remember hearing at one point that a 5 foot 100 lb young teen is a lot more vulnerable in a crash than a 5 foot 100 lb adult.  Something about the bones not having developed as much.

That's why we waited until 14, which I thought at the time was a bit early.

Although, for my 2nd, she had to wait until her older sister stopped riding around with us.  She might have been closer to 15 by then.

• Like 2

I can't find this now, but I remember hearing at one point that a 5 foot 100 lb young teen is a lot more vulnerable in a crash than a 5 foot 100 lb adult.  Something about the bones not having developed as much.

That's why we waited until 14, which I thought at the time was a bit early.

Although, for my 2nd, she had to wait until her older sister stopped riding around with us.  She might have been closer to 15 by then.

That reminds me of a friend of mine in his 40's.  He was visiting his folks out of state and his mom drove them somewhere.  He started to get in the backseat when it was just the two of them.  His mom's response was, "Why?".   Apparently, it was ingrained in him.  He had an older brother and as kids they always fought about who got the front seat.  Until, his mother mandated that the older brother always got the front seat.  Even in his 40's, it was his instinct.  

• Like 4

I was allowed by ten, but I am not going to let my kids until they can pass the five point test and sit, unassisted, with a shoulder belt and correct body geometry. If I get a *real* shorty who can never pass the test (I barely can, as an grown woman!) I might get them a wedge pillow and let them 'graduate' to the front by 13-14.

Age 15. There was some research done and there was a big drop in damage from that age on in accidents. It is to do with skeleton strength due to puberty etc,  not height or weight. I will find the link later. On my phone now.  Hobbes is looking forward to moving forward next month.

ETA: here's the link.

• Like 5

OP, any and all threads about car safety inevitably devolve into two different groups of homeschoolers.  Tiers, if you will.  They are as follows:

Tier 1: My child is old enough to drive the car himself but I make him ride in the back in a rear-facing, five point harness carseat.  We removed the rear window so he can hang his legs out and now he's perfectly comfortable, I swear.

Tier 2: Sometimes the car gets a little crowded, so as soon as my infant can sit independently I strap him to the top with a few bungie cords.  We have to stop every hour or so to squeegee the bugs off his face, but he really doesn't mind.  My parents made me run behind the car smoking a pack of Marlboros while I carried their beer when I was a kid.  Uphill.  Through the snow.  And I survived just fine.

As I fall into Tier 1.5- maybe 1.6- I would probably just let my kid ride in the front, though I have a newer car and I can turn off the passenger side airbag.  Given his size, if he was my kid I'd feel awful making him ride in the back for that long if it's just the two of them.

• Like 40

10, because my car only seats 3 in the back and a few times we've transported 4 kids. DS was the biggest kid and had to sit in front, which is legal here if the back seats are filled with smaller children. However it was a short trip (2 miles) and the speed limit for the entire trip was 25 mph. I would refuse for the freeway and I wouldn't let him ride in front had there been a slot open in the back seat.

I let my kids when they were 12, which was years later than most of their peers. They both really seemed to have more adult like bodies at that age. My 12ds is 5'7" and 120lbs, so it would be silly to make him sit in the back. But dd10 is 70lbs and 4'6", and will be sitting in the back for awhile to come. 

OP, any and all threads about car safety inevitably devolve into two different groups of homeschoolers.  Tiers, if you will.  They are as follows:

Tier 1: My child is old enough to drive the car himself but I make him ride in the back in a rear-facing, five point harness carseat.  We removed the rear window so he can hang his legs out and now he's perfectly comfortable, I swear.

Tier 2: Sometimes the car gets a little crowded, so as soon as my infant can sit independently I strap him to the top with a few bungie cords.  We have to stop every hour or so to squeegee the bugs off his face, but he really doesn't mind.  My parents made me run behind the car smoking a pack of Marlboros while I carried their beer when I was a kid.  Uphill.  Through the snow.  And I survived just fine.

As I fall into Tier 1.5- maybe 1.6- I would probably just let my kid ride in the front, though I have a newer car and I can turn off the passenger side airbag.  Given his size, if he was my kid I'd feel awful making him ride in the back for that long if it's just the two of them.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 1

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If you handle one kid as Tier 1 and and the other runs behind the car smoking Marlboros and carrying a beer, they can chat through the missing back window! Genius!

• Like 11

I told dd 12 but am now regretting that as she is approaching that age.  I would prefer 13 or even 14.  We have older cars with older airbags.  Dh and I both have engineering backgrounds and know way too much about car crash physics.  That said, ALL of dd's friends are allowed to sit in front.  Some as early as 4-5 years old.  Dd feels like a dork.  Oh well.  

I was in the front passenger seat when we got into our car accident.  DS was in the back, behind the driver.  I was the most severely injured. DS was shook-up, but able to be released to his siblings and taken home the same day. I didn't make it back home for a full month.

Keep the kids in the back seat.

• Like 5

Around 12, and not always. DD actually likes having her own space to spread out in the back of the van, so it's rare, but I'm mostly comfortable with it. Of course, she's 5' 7" now  :glare:

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

When they reached 4'9" and 8 years old.  This met the minimum requirement for the car manufacturer recommendation and our state law.  (The passenger seat is as far back as it can go.)

In our case, I considered this the safest option, as otherwise, all three children are sharing one seat in either my Honda Accord, or our crew cab truck.  They cannot get along that close together, and fighting children distract the driver.  I'm pretty sure statistically we are far more likely to be in an accident I cause trying to front seat parent than in one caused by another random driver!

I would say 12 for me, but sometimes I let an 11 year old sit in the front.  That's because I would rather drive our minivan than our big van, and it only seats 8.  So if I'm taking the younger 7 kids somewhere, then the 11 year old sits in front with me.  I think I'm a better driver in the minivan, so I choose that risk over having everyone in the big van and having to drive that boat.  But usually I'm not taking all 7 younger kids, so it's not an issue.  I really, really hope carseat busybodies do not push for more and more stricter laws about this, because I greatly prefer being able to make my own decisions about risk factors and how I address them. 

• Like 1

Again with the tiers?   And so incorrect, too.  Kids in the front seat?  Are you kidding me?  Do you people not have trunks or roof racks? 

• Like 10

We said "12 years old", but realistically kids #2,3 and 4 never got to sit in the front until they were older because that's where the oldest was sitting.  Once he left for college, DD19 got to sit up front.... and so on down the line.

Mergath, you're killing me today!

DH and DS are taking a guys road trip this summer, and ds is begging to be allowed to ride in the front seat. He has just turned 11, but he is 5 foot tall and weighs just over 100 lbs. Everything I've read says age 12, but it doesn't specify size requirements. Of course, most of ds's friends ride in the front seat now.

I do understand that ds will probably enjoy his trip with his dad more if he is riding in the front seat, but of course, I want to keep him safe. What are your thoughts?

Safety would be more important to me, so I would make him ride in the back seat, as usual.

I don't think size and weight are as much of an issue as the fact that a younger kid's body isn't as developed as a teenager's body, so even a good-sized 11yo would be more likely to be injured in a crash than a similarly-sized 14yo.

• Like 2

If the law in the state(s) they will be in permit someone the age of your DS during that road trip to ride in the front seat, I would allow him to do it. They will enjoy their trip more if they are both in the front seat. Here in Colombia, the legal age for a child to ride in the front seat is 12.

My daughter who drives is smaller than your son. My guess is Dad will let him in the front seat anyway. I wouldn't interfere with that. It's not like he's tiny and seven.

• Like 1

The first time we visited the Children's Aquarium, they were also setting up for the State Fair so they had a lot of fences where the map didn't have fences.  For a long time we walked trying to find an opening in the fence.   Apparently into a restricted area.  A security guard drove up in a golf cart and ended up driving us back to the front door after I convinced him that I had no idea where I could get out of the restricted area and to the front door.  We went to the Aquarium and DD seemed to have fun.  What did talk about with that visit, "I got to ride in the front seat".   She rode in the front seat of the golf cart, and that made her WEEK.  Even beat out sharks and sting rays for the first time.  

• Like 1

State law is 9, although DS has ridden in the front when I've had large loads from Home Depot to bring home. He's 8.

I'm actually surprised at the general consensus here...