Menu

Best Time & $ Saving Tips!

CardinalAlt

Thread title pretty much sums up my question, though I'm particularly interested in comparing online tools like AmazonFresh (or the other subscription options I don't really understand) with warehouses like CostCo... Open to any and all other tips, including links to previous amazing threads!

I am planning on starting a major decluttering/organization effort as soon as some of that 2nd trimester energy kicks in... I understand I probably have a narrow window as far as energy sticking around!

Editing to put my "why" for the thread - twins coming! - here rather than in the title, so I don't scare off people with ideas who might think all I want are twin-specific thoughts :). I don't - I'll appreciate them all!

Really, the 1st 3-5 months will be a blur. If it weren't for pics I would not recall much about that time.

Do not plan on going much of anywhere. You will be nursing pretty much all the time and when you aren't you will want sleep. Some people put them on a schedule with twins, but 1 of mine had reflux issues so I couldn't "force" him to eat when he didn't want to. So I tried to keep them close to the same schedule, but it wasn't 100% synced. Best laid plans and all that jazz.

Streamline now for schooling for your oldest and make some busy bags/have a plan for the youngest. Do the next thing books are good. nature documentaries, etc. Not the time for a mommy intensive curriculum.

Freezer meals.... buy a freezer if you have to. Really, not joking. You'll save $ in not ordering take out.

Amazon sub & Save is great for diapers/wipes and any other basics you never want to run out of (tp, deteregent, etc.) For me it is about the same as Sam's club. (close enough that the convenience pays off). Sam's club here also has click n Pull, where you order online and then pick up in store. Great for DH. Maybe Costco has this?

Look into which local stores do delivery . I have a safeway store that delivers. Only thing is I have to order at least 24 hours in advance. I used that several times. And I have another store that lets you order and then just pick up (so DH could just pass by on way home from work).

Save $ by stocking up now for 6 mos, so no running to all night CVS/walgreens and paying more $$ for _______ .(OTC meds, etc)

Also there is a list of companies which provide free gifts for twins or more. I recall huggies sending coupons for free diapers plus some like $10 off coupons as well as some other large gifts. Check one of the twin forums for an up to date list.

• Like 3

First I would make as many freezer meals as you can now - soups, sauces, pastas, casseroles, etc.  

My favorite decluttering method is to pick a number - say 50 (or 100) - and make it your goal to throw away or donate 50 (or 100) items TODAY.  Repeat as needed.

I am a Costco shopper, I've never done Amazon.  

• Like 1

Congrats!  I had twins in the fall of 2011.  

For the first six months, dinner generally consisted of a small loaf of sourdough bread for with butter, a hunk of cheese, and a bagged green salad. Maybe some sauerkraut or apples, too.   Lunch was usually some sort of frozen chopped veggies and meat or fish that I put in the crockpot first thing in the morning after breakfast.  Then I used the crockpot again after dinner to do overnight oatmeal for breakfast.  We had some fruits around for snacks, and that was about it.  

After the twins were over a year old, I switched to once a month freezer cooking.  It's a huge lifesaver for homeschooling with lots of littles!

I also use Amazon Subscribe and Save, to cut down on trips for things like detergent, paper towels, and diapers.

Prepare for extreme sleep deprivation.  I was unable to drive anywhere many times because of it.  Just something you may want to think about if your older kids have classes or other things outside the home.  

• Like 2

Congratulations! :party:

My twins are 6 now, time flies.  I agree the first six months is a blur. I even wonder if it actually happened, but have pics for proof.  I nursed both at the same time and that was a big time saver. For the most part you do not need two of everything at least right away. Mine were happier when they slept close to each other.  A bouncy seat was a lifesaver. 

I usually had coupons for diapers and bought on sale.  We are in the country, no costco, didn't have subscribe and save then. 

I have two older children and they were a BIG help. Also I always rested when they napped. Housework will always be there to do. Rest whenever possible.

• Like 2

At least in my area, I've found Amazon Fresh comparable to the local grocery stores (without sales), but not competitive with Costco.  They deliver perishable goods, you don't have to be there for them to drop off the food, and you can order up to 10pm the night before for a next morning delivery.  Google Shopping Express delivers from actual grocery stores (and Costco), but last I checked, they don't do perishables.  Do you have a Trader Joe's near you?  I've found them best price-wise for cheap and healthy-ish prepackaged foods (love their pizza dough).

One of the best things I did when I was pregnant was to find lists of freezer crockpot meals and then test them out during my 2nd trimester.  Some of them we liked, so I prepped a ton of them, some of them were not to our tastes, so I was glad we'd figured that out before I wasted money on a bunch of them.  I packaged each meal up in a freezer bag or plastic container and then taped a note with the cooking instructions and any other necessary ingredients on them.  Much easier than trying to find the original recipe printout or cookbook or whatever when you're sleep deprived!

No experience with twins, but best wishes!

• Like 1

My twins are 14 months! My older two were 5 and nearly 3 when the twins were born. We have all survived somehow!

Really, I did not find it as difficult as I expected--though I expected the absolute worst. I do think that low expectations are my secret weapon. :) I also have a fairly high tolerance for sleep deprivation and chaos, which also really help when you are having twins!

Amazon Fresh does not deliver everywhere--if you are in a delivery area, I would try it! I often wish I had an easy way to get groceries without taking my entire brood out, or asking my husband to stop somewhere on his way home. At the end of the day, I just want him home! I do Subscribe and Save for quite a few things, including a good selection of gluten-free items and some baby items.

Costco is great. We have had a membership a long time. We buy lots of staples there.

We hired a cleaning person to come weekly for a while, then scaled back to twice monthly. This is worth every penny, if you can manage it.

We also had a part-time nanny who mostly played with my nearly-3-year-old a few mornings a week. This also made it possible for me to take oldest to preschool without loading up all the children. She worked for us for about 2 months and then returned to college, and I didn't feel the need to replace her, so we have managed. 

We managed to get out fairly regularly early on. I nurse the babies individually--I was never a fan of nursing them at the same time. Nursing them one-by-one, I've had no problems taking everyone to the library, swimming lessons, the park, etc.

• Like 1

First, congrats!

My twins are turning 15 next month.  Time will fly, and the first year will be a blur.  I don't even remember most of it.  Definitely get those freezer meals made.  Accept any help offered and keep expectations low.  Try to get them on the same schedule as soon as possible.  And remember, it is ok to let the housekeeping slide for a while.

ETA: I second the bouncy seat!!

• Like 2

My twins are five and it's amazing. I would say that now is the time to do all those things you wanted to do but never had the time to. Read a book, walk outside, go to a play. Just enjoy life because the first six months is really a blur.

At six months, I would join a stroller fitness or sow thing that gets you and the kids out of the door at a regular time and make it non negotiable. I wished I knew a bit early to join an activity because being home can be tough emotionally. Good luck!

• Like 1

My twins are now 13, almost 14 and I don't remember much from those first few months. Decluttering helped a ton and we hired a teen to come help once a week to clean. Actually, she played with the kids and I cleaned but that was fine.

For food, I had a ton of freezer meals and then I did a thing called Supper Solutions where they prepped all the meals and I put them together for 12 meals month. Now, I think you just order them and they come to you.

We have our milk, eggs, cheese and other dairy products delivered once a week which was very helpful. Now my milk delivery also delivery fruit and veggies from a local CSA.

Oh, I would check to see if Costco or a Amazon has cheaper diapers. That would be huge to know!

• Like 1