Menu

Woah, buddy! I just ventured into College Confidential.

It was my first time.

I did an internet search trying to find information about Texas State University. A thread on CC came up in the search, so I went a-lookin'.

A couple of hours later (from reading a 2010 thread with 400 posts that eventually got locked), my conclusion is that CC is not the place for me. Holy cow.

Makes this place look very tame. (LOL)

• Like 12

It was my first time.

I did an internet search trying to find information about Texas State University. A thread on CC came up in the search, so I went a-lookin'.

A couple of hours later (from reading a 2010 thread with 400 posts that eventually got locked), my conclusion is that CC is not the place for me. Holy cow.

Makes this place look very tame. (LOL)

I keep meaning to go over there, but I'm scared after reading many posts like this!

Do I need to put on my big girl panties and get over there, or is this place informative enough?

• Like 1

Big girl pants, blinders and some armor and you should be fine.  Now that you've been there and dipped your toe in the waters, it may be hard not to go back.  lol  The amount of info, in between the mud-slinging, is amazing.  Sometimes it's like watching a disaster and just not being able to turn away ... :lol:

• Like 8

I keep meaning to go over there, but I'm scared after reading many posts like this!

Do I need to put on my big girl panties and get over there, or is this place informative enough?

I think this place is informative enough, though I admit I haven't given CC a comprehensive look.

Yet somehow I still managed to get two kids into college without the help of CC. (LOL)

• Like 2

Matryoshka I hadn't even read your post when I suggested big girl panties.  You've got the right idea.  Both sites are really helpful but considering the volume of people on the other site, it's great for getting some specific college info.  It makes a good supplement.

• Like 1

You definitely have to wade through some muck to get good information.Do as much research as you can before you go on that site and it will be more useful to you. And you need some powerful armor to protect you from the "Ivy or nothing" mindset. And an understanding that it is impossible for everyone who is applying to college this year to have 24 APs, and 36 on the ACT and prizes from national competitions and successful million dollar start ups. And yet, most people do get into a college.

And a good sense of humor.

• Like 8

I'd avoid it.  I don't think big girl underware is going to help. : ) It is full of high statistics people worrying about their chances of admittance and scholarships, parents boasting, and students AND parents complaining.  I think it is probably not a good way to judge the "feel" of a school, and if you are looking for statistics, I think you are better off with the government IPEDS college site or the in-depth data sheet for individual colleges (can't remember what it is called at the moment).

Nan

• Like 4

I used to be intimidated by the site. I'm not anymore. Mostly there are just few really loud obnoxious posters who disdain anything below the tippy top. The site is a good source of information, but there definitely is misinformation as well. I don't know how many times I was told that students at UA with the presidential scholarship were not eligible for anything else other than the engineering scholarship. Considering ds has 5, I think they are slightly misinformed. ;) I am glad I didn't listen.

• Like 9

I used to be intimidated by the site. I'm not anymore. Mostly there are just few really loud obnoxious posters who disdain anything below the tippy top. The site is a good source of information, but there definitely is misinformation as well. I don't know how many times I was told that students at UA with the presidential scholarship were not eligible for anything else other than the engineering scholarship. Considering ds has 5, I think they are slightly misinformed. ;) I am glad I didn't listen.

I started out b looking at the section for service academies. It helped to read posts and be able to catagorize them into students who weren't that informed, grads with a particular point of view and people who actually knew what they were talking about.

The sections where people ask to be chances make me roll my eyes. I don't think high school students have the insight to be that reliable in evaluating others, especially based on scant info.

I have enjoyed threads about exam prep and scholarships.

• Like 3

I'd avoid it. I don't think big girl underware is going to help. : ) It is full of high statistics people worrying about their chances of admittance and scholarships, parents boasting, and students AND parents complaining. I think it is probably not a good way to judge the "feel" of a school, and if you are looking for statistics, I think you are better off with the government IPEDS college site or the in-depth data sheet for individual colleges (can't remember what it is called at the moment).

Nan

IPEDS (aka College Navigator) is *always* my first stop.

• Like 1

It was my first time.

The first time is always the hardest  :001_smile:

How to you find the good stuff? I always seem to run across posts full of strong opinions, stressed out desperation, and "chance me" nonsense. It always seems like a waste of time.

Any tips to quickly find useful info?

Specific search terms (like "name of college AND study abroad"). Look at the forums for specific colleges. Ignore chance me threads. 

• Like 1

I found College Confidential good for a couple of things. 

First, it was a helpful place to learn about how a particular school awards merit scholarships, particularly if it's not one of the automatic scholarships for stats places.  If there are a sufficient number of posts over a couple of years, you can definitely get a sense of what kind of scholarship offer your student might get.  This info can help you figure out if your student might be able to attend given your EFC and how they handle financial aid.  CC is only helpful for this for the bigger schools that have enough posts.

Another thing I found helpful was reading the financial aid forum.  There used to be (at least) several FA officers that post there who are really knowledgeable, and I've seen them give some great advice to people who have complicated financial pictures.  If I knew someone with a complicated financial situation (e.g. self employed, divorce, insurance payout, estate property, etc.), I'd suggest they do a little reading there to begin to understand what they are dealing with.  Obviously, it's not a place for absolute advice, but I think it can at least get you pointed in the right direction.

CC also has good lists of "scholarships for stats" schools that might be helpful for people with strong students who can't afford their EFC.

I also got some good tips from there on which prep books were good for specific SAT2 and AP exams.

I do agree with the others though, that just like on any forum, you can't take all of the advice as 100% accurate, and you need to ignore the braggers and the people that think if you don't go to an ivy you're wasting your time.

HTH,

Brenda

• Like 5

Mostly there are just few really loud obnoxious posters who disdain anything below the tippy top. The site is a good source of information, but there definitely is misinformation as well. 

My thoughts exactly.  One has to take a little bit of time to discern who is who on that forum since many are college kids who don't really know as much as they'd like to believe.

However, the posters who do know what they are doing and share that info are worth gold IMO.  I found two of my boy's final colleges via tips from that site - and several more that they applied to or considered.  I still hang out there now, though not as much as here.  I add something every now and then and still glean a bit about new (to me) schools just in case the info might be useful for kids at school.

I don't get on their chat as much.  I think I fit in better with folks on here.

• Like 2

Common data set is the name I wasn't remembering.  If you do a search for the college name and "common data set" in your browser, you will find the college's statistics for admissions, graduation, financial aid, and other statistics.  It is in the form of a pdf document.  To find out how much aid the college has given to freshmen, scroll down to the right section.  You should be able to see the average amount of aid awarded and what type.

Nan

• Like 3

I must have a high tolerance for crazy.  I found CC helpful.  

I assumed some people had no clue what they were talking about.  But I didn't want to become best friends with them; heck, I didn't really care to have any sort of personal relationship with them.  I just wanted to read what they said, roll my eyes if needed, and move on.

Of course, I'm one of the ones who always says this forum is quite mild and friendly, even when others are decrying how it isn't like it used to be.

• Like 7

Maybe it's because we're aren't yet at the point of college nitty-gritty, but I don't find it distressing (or repulsive, as the case may be ;) ).  I don't visit very often, though, and only when I am feeling either confident or detached.  Going in with any emotional vulnerability strikes me as a risky maneuver.

I think the homeschool subforum is new-ish, and I sure wish there were a lot more threads/posts there, because I have a feeling I will find that section more helpful than many of the others.  Maybe by the time I'm ready to poke around in earnest it will be just what I need.  :)

I have stumbled across postings by creekland and 8 on CC :D (I haven't posted since ds's college search years, though I read every week or so.)

Yeah, I started posting when I would read threads like"Should I attend top school XYZ at full price and turn down the full-ride offer for an engineering major" and almost of the responses were "You are doomed to mediocrity forever and your career will go nowhere if you go to the full-ride school."   Seriously??  Maybe in some careers, but not in engineering.

Mostly I have fun annoying the "tippy top or bust" crowd.   :lol:

• Like 14

I found a 10th grade course list thread that had my head spinning. Multiple APs and Honors courses for 10th and way over the usual amount of credits. Some people were stacking math classes. I wasn't ready.

Maybe I just need to grab the leftover Easter Chocolate and a cup of coffee this Saturday and dig in.

• Like 3

I found a 10th grade course list thread that had my head spinning. Multiple APs and Honors courses for 10th and way over the usual amount of credits. Some people were stacking math classes. I wasn't ready.

Maybe I just need to grab the leftover Easter Chocolate and a cup of coffee this Saturday and dig in.

Well there is also the factor that on the internet, no one knows you're a dog.  There really isn't any verification of what folks post (there or elsewhere).  So a student might post that they were taking tons of AP.  They might not include the information that this is the only honors option at their school, or that many students get lower than a 3 on the exam.

• Like 1

I recommend you send the chocolate bunny to Creekland and just ask her your questions lol. Or one of the other people here who has been involved with college admmissions or are profs. Much quicker. : )

Hmm, I could like this plan.  Is it a dark chocolate bunny by any chance?

• Like 4

Do jelly beans count, or is that like play money?

Jelly beans are rather disgusting (to those of us without a sweet tooth).  I might just take my knowledge and head home if that's all being offered.   :glare:   It's worse than play money.

• Like 3

It scares me as well, though I will always be grateful to the CC poster who hacked the PSAT scores.  Bless his geeky little heart.

College Confidential hardly represents a cross-section of college applicants.  They are, by and large, maybe the top 1% or so.  It helps tremendously to go into it with that mentality, i.e., that this is not typical.

• Like 4

I could easily live in a world where the currency was dark chocolate, and I would be more than happy to be an "expert" in any subject you all require assistance in for a reasonable amount of delicious fee! :biggrinjester:

• Like 6

Jelly beans are rather disgusting (to those of us without a sweet tooth).  I might just take my knowledge and head home if that's all being offered.   :glare:   It's worse than play money.

:ohmy:

You gals on the college board drive a hard bargain! I clearly need to get with the exchange rates here!

(To beg forgiveness, and to hopefully at some point be permitted further advice... I would like it to be noted I only buy dark chocolate. I mean, is there really any other kind?)

• Like 3

I found it amusing.  Some of it was useless, and some insightful.  As a professor, the comments from people who flunked out cracked me up.  

DS did a last minute application to one school that I hadn't considered because of it.  But he chose otherwise.  Which is fine.  

The comments about the colleges I attended were pretty much on target, which goes to show that things really don't change 30+ years later at some schools...

• Like 2

I used to find hs2coll yahoo group overwhelming enough :laugh: then I stumbled upon College Confidential. Oh my. But the initial shock and awe thing has worn off now and I, like other pp's have said find most of the posts obnoxious and just plain snooty. But there are a few gems. For example, I couldn't find registration info on a particular summer program that had slightly ambiguous application criteria and tried CC on a whim and it was there. They were all rejected from the program but at least I found out something about the registration process.

• Like 3

I used to hang out on CC, mostly the Service Academy forums. They became so nasty that folks started an entirely different website. I have friends from there still. That reminds me--I should go take a gander at USMMA. 

There is a type of grad that I call "grumpy grads."  When I look at the service academy sections of CC, I see some evidence that this type of grad is doing a lot of posting. 

I've sometimes wondered why there isn't more participation by official admissions reps.

There is a type of grad that I call "grumpy grads."  When I look at the service academy sections of CC, I see some evidence that this type of grad is doing a lot of posting. 

I've sometimes wondered why there isn't more participation by official admissions reps.

Now there is a whole different site (service academy forums), and it's had a lot of useful info.  A lot of BGO/ALO/FFRs post on there, and the info I've gotten has been pretty accurate and helpful in navigating a confusing process.

• Like 1

College Confidential has useful info, but you have to know enough to know what's true and what's lies. I do think a lot of the misinformation goes beyond basic ignorance.  Some of it is people who think they know a lot who don't, but there is also a subset of people who probably believe that putting a lot of wrong info up is going to help their own chances.

I've picked up a few useful tidbits, but it's not a place that's really worth the time to hang out at for long.  So much of it is just wrong.

• Like 2

College Confidential has useful info, but you have to know enough to know what's true and what's lies. I do think a lot of the misinformation goes beyond basic ignorance.  Some of it is people who think they know a lot who don't, but there is also a subset of people who probably believe that putting a lot of wrong info up is going to help their own chances.

I actually think most people believe what they post.  They just don't have a very varied depth of experience.  I know I've learned far more from school and seeing thousands of kids over the years, but even then, that's just my local area and mostly one school district (except for some of my kid's friends).  I can still learn a bit from Hive experience as y'all cover wider distances and situations.

If the only info I had were from my school or my own family it would be quite limited, but one could easily think it were representative of more the way humans tend to do with anecdotes.

I stay on cc to keep an even more varied experience level - esp with kids at b&m schools.

• Like 1

I'll 'fess up. I'm addicted. I love it over there. Ha ha! I agree there are wide ranges of knowledge, and one must read through a lot of junk. Over time, I have figured out who some posters are whom I respect. I also think the specific school boards can be very helpful, but only if they are active enough. Some have no activity at all, and that can be frustrating if it's a school you are interested in.

• Like 1

I think this place is informative enough, though I admit I haven't given CC a comprehensive look.

Yet somehow I still managed to get two kids into college without the help of CC. (LOL)

I ventured over there perhaps half a dozen times when I had specific questions this board had not discussed. WTM forums truly are a gold mine.
  • Like 3