Menu

Please help-AP chemistry confusion!

I am trying to put ds chemistry course together for next year.  Although I am not going to jump through the hoops to get the course approved by CB as an AP course (not going to list the course as AP on transcript), I do want to "follow" a syllabus so that he can cover everything he needs to do the AP chemistry test.  I see the sample long form questions, as well as the practice m.c. questions.  The problem I am having is finding a course that would cover everything for sure.  (Like a list of courses that I could choose from.)

We are considering BJU chemistry.  Do you think that if he did everything in that course, along with practicing the m/c and long form questions that he would be ready for the AP exam?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

I am trying to put ds chemistry course together for next year.  Although I am not going to jump through the hoops to get the course approved by CB as an AP course (not going to list the course as AP on transcript), I do want to "follow" a syllabus so that he can cover everything he needs to do the AP chemistry test.  I see the sample long form questions, as well as the practice m.c. questions.  The problem I am having is finding a course that would cover everything for sure.  (Like a list of courses that I could choose from.)

We are considering BJU chemistry.  Do you think that if he did everything in that course, along with practicing the m/c and long form questions that he would be ready for the AP exam?

Thanks!

Hot Lava Mama

i honestly have no idea.  I've been struggling with this, too.  The link with the programs is helpful -- but even when I go to look at the programs, It's hard to know if A or B will be what I'm looking for, if it can be tweaked to become what I'm looking for, etc. In the homeschool community, I've found so many things that *say* they will be fine, or "meet" AP standards, but then do a bit more research and hear that it really isn't.  

I have two taking a high school level Chemistry next year.  I started out with BJU w/DVDs, but wasn't sure if I could tweak it enough to make it AP/SAT Subject Test ready (or where to begin tweaking), then looked at DIVE, but then read some reviews that it really wasn't enough for AP, and have now migrated to Homeschool Connections Advanced Chemistry (a college-level introductory course, with a LOT of labs, with the unlimited option) -- because it uses a highly-rated (publicly, anyhow) introductory college text (which I got used, very cheaply from AbeBooks), and because I'm pretty certain it will cover everything one should cover in an AP course.  I'm going to add an AP/Subject Test prep book and call it done. 

I *have* to get this done, because I need to re-do what I was doing for AP Biology for DD for 2016-2017, and that's going to take me awhile to get together (I want to re-use the texts, but the last AP Bio course was before the test changed).

• Like 1

i honestly have no idea.  I've been struggling with this, too.  The link with the programs is helpful -- but even when I go to look at the programs, It's hard to know if A or B will be what I'm looking for, if it can be tweaked to become what I'm looking for, etc. In the homeschool community, I've found so many things that *say* they will be fine, or "meet" AP standards, but then do a bit more research and hear that it really isn't.  

I have two taking a high school level Chemistry next year.  I started out with BJU w/DVDs, but wasn't sure if I could tweak it enough to make it AP/SAT Subject Test ready (or where to begin tweaking), then looked at DIVE, but then read some reviews that it really wasn't enough for AP, and have now migrated to Homeschool Connections Advanced Chemistry (a college-level introductory course, with a LOT of labs, with the unlimited option) -- because it uses a highly-rated (publicly, anyhow) introductory college text (which I got used, very cheaply from AbeBooks), and because I'm pretty certain it will cover everything one should cover in an AP course.  I'm going to add an AP/Subject Test prep book and call it done. 

I *have* to get this done, because I need to re-do what I was doing for AP Biology for DD for 2016-2017, and that's going to take me awhile to get together (I want to re-use the texts, but the last AP Bio course was before the test changed).

Thanks for the information!  I will check this out.  :)

Hot Lava Mama

Keep in mind that AP exams test a very specific and delineated body of info.  If anyone is going to use a text and/or curriculum that isn't specifically aligned with the AP Chem course outline, make sure you get at least one or two test prep books and have your student work through those as well as doing the sample questions.  I've always liked the "5 Steps to a 5" book for AP Chem.

Also remember that AP Chem has changed as of this year.  You shouldn't buy or use older test prep books - they won't necessarily cover what's on the new exam.  Make sure that if you go with a curriculum provider that they've updated their course to reflect the changes, as well.

Keep in mind that AP exams test a very specific and delineated body of info.  If anyone is going to use a text and/or curriculum that isn't specifically aligned with the AP Chem course outline, make sure you get at least one or two test prep books and have your student work through those as well as doing the sample questions.  I've always liked the "5 Steps to a 5" book for AP Chem.

Also remember that AP Chem has changed as of this year.  You shouldn't buy or use older test prep books - they won't necessarily cover what's on the new exam.  Make sure that if you go with a curriculum provider that they've updated their course to reflect the changes, as well.

Did not know any of this.  Thank you very much!  :)

Hot Lava Mama