Menu

Abeka Math vs. Horizons

socody

I was planning to use the Horizons K Math with my k'er next year but just got a free copy of Abeka's K5 Numbers book. It looks pretty thorough but is Abeka considered more on the easy side or more advanced? Only wondering because I like the Horizons Math for 1st grade but I know it is a little more challenging & don't want him to be behind when he gets there.

Here's a recent thread with the same question, but no K comparison. I haven't used the K of either. My last one used Rod and Staff math 1 for K level math and followed it with Horizons 1. My last DC will use Rod and Staff math 1 this fall for his K year.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547773-horizons-vs-abeka-math/?do=findComment&comment=6287510

They end up in the same place, but each one spurts and slows at a slightly different pace. A Beka ramps up through third grade and slows down more in 4th and 5th. I think both are considered advanced in the early years.

It also depends on the version. I am using an older version of A Beka kindergarten math that goes a little faster than the newer version according to their rep, but I understand they both end up in the same place. We are in lesson 105, and we have learned up through the six addition families and counting by tens and are starting to count by fives. I understand they will cover up through the ten addition family in kindergarten. They do not always do a worksheet in every lesson, but my son wants to. We often do two lessons at a time so he can get to the worksheet.

There are some other moving parts that supplement their math. I managed to make my own number houses chart and didn't buy their special charts or their kindergarten flash cards. I did buy their combination cards and numbers handwriting practice book. You will need a curriculum guide. The newest version combines their math with phonics in the curriculum guide, which I think is a bit annoying. The older version I have is just numbers, no phonics. They only do this in kindergarten. I also have lots of other math stuff we use. I substitute teddy bear counters for a lot of things. I use a chalkboard instead of felt numbers. I use real coins. You can make your own number cards too, but I did get some used as I plan to use this for more than one year and more than one child. But it is a pretty simple program. If you look ahead, you can decide what to skip or improvise in another way.

It is a solid program, and I think you could go into Horizons 1 afterwards, but I have not used Horizons myself.

This is my 2nd child -- older dd used Saxon, which I think equipped me with the use of manipulatives. I just flipped through the book & realized I'll need the Teacher Book, which I wasn't planning, but I was thinking of using their phonics anyway...

My daughter, nearing the end of 5th grade has used Horizons since 1st grade and we just have never had any problems whatsoever with her math.  It is not expensive, and the basic directions are shown before each new concept.  Usually, she reads these on her own and doesn't need or even want teaching on new concepts.  I check the first few problems to be sure she understands, and then I use the TM to check over her daily work for the same reason.  We use Zaccarro's Math on the side for application, since Horizons is weak conceptually.  

I will admit however, that we used Abeka's K5 Numbers before transitioning to Horizons. I believe both Horizons K and K5 Numbers expect the child to be able to write numbers with ease, and to count and do very basic addition before even starting Kindergarten.  

We use Zaccarro's Math on the side for application, since Horizons is weak conceptually.

I disagree with the bolded entirely. In my house Horizons has produced kids who are wicked good at arithmetic and absolutely have "conceptual" understanding. It was not written with math competition word problems ala MOEMS or Art of Problem Solving in mind, but it does give kids the thorough foundation they need to be successful in them.

• Like 1