Menu

Remind me why I agonize over every purchase?

Phone call from my husband at the convention: "They only had those guides you wanted me to look at packaged with sets, so I ordered one for each level and they will be shipped to the house."

His way sounds a lot less stressful, but we might need a new budget meeting for next year's expenses!

• Like 5

After eight years of homeschooling, I am still looking for the perfect fit.  I research, and agonize over everything.  You would think by now I would know better!  Plus, it's the money.  I could take a vacation with the money I spend on books!  Ok, maybe not a great vacation but a trip somewhere.  I think I need to get out more!

• Like 2

My DH is the same way.  I'll build shopping carts and make pros and cons lists and spend hours reading others' reviews.  He looks at 3 options, picks the one he thinks is best, and purchases.  He doesn't worry about if it is "best" of every option in the whole wide world, he buys something that is solid and will get the job done, and he gets to work.  

I think it's Hunter's signature that has the line about " a good curriculum that gets done is better than a great curriculum that doesn't get done" or something along those lines.  I try to keep that in mind when shopping-- find something solid, purchase, and implement.  If I wait to find the perfect science program to start teaching science, my kids will be graduated with no formal science!  ;)

• Like 3

It took me 2 months to plan and finalize what I wanted for first grade. Finally clicked "purchase" on Amazon the other day, after rechecking everything and staring at the button for a few minutes. I felt anxious as I said goodbye to the money, but it all arrived yesterday and it was like Christmas for the kids and I.

I would never let my DH order any of the curriculum under any circumstances. I can barely trust him to pick up correct milk and bread from the grocery store. (Love him, but my goodness.)

• Like 1

I so understand. I have excel sheets of possible purchases and I have filled and re-filled so many carts. DH is like, "You researched it to death so buy it already and stop stressing over it". He had no idea though how much I spent, truly none. Sweet guy trusts me so much, he figures I saved what I could and made the best decision. Tax time was an eye opener though when he totaled everything up!

Haha, yep, I told him I wanted to see which level would be a good fit, and then I was going to spend another month debating whether or not to buy it. He "solved" the problem by telling me he just bought everything. Of course now that he has done that I will feel like I NEED to use it all so it doesn't get wasted. Rational is probably not the best word to describe my curriculum habits!

That sounds expensive! It also sounds exactly like my DH. Fortunately, he'd rather do just about anything else than attend a homeschool convention. So I think I'm safe.

I spent weeks debating with myself about getting LOE Foundations for my 2 youngest a couple of months ago. I looked everywhere online trying to find the best deal. It was the most I have ever considered spending for one thing. (Totally worth it BTW.) DH got so frustrated with me as I went through my "process". Finally he just said, "Get on the company's website and order the complete package for both kids already!" I had spent all this time researching and explaining the differences between the different options to him. As far as he was concerned, we decided, let's order right now (as in the next 5 minutes).

DH told me a couple of weeks ago that he's taking an extra overtime shift at work specifically for me to to have extra spending money at our upcoming convention. He said that every year I call him from the vendor hall agonizing over whether or not I should buy some piece of curriculum that wasn't on my plan. This year he wants me to have extra money so that if I see something I love I can just buy it without calling him. I think he's tired of listening to me agonize over the decision. It's very sweet of him....I think....

• Like 2