Menu

Memoria Press Lit Guides

Do you mean the lit guides for an entire grade level, the lit guides for an individual book like The Hobbit, or  a set like the Poetry and Short Stories: American Literature?

I meant the individual books, at high school level.

If you look at the core curriculum for each grade, you will see how many literature guides they expect a student to use in a year. Does that help?

That's where I'm confused.  If I click on a grade on their website, it has a list of books, but is that ALL for that year, or is it choices?  The Iliad and Odyssey are listed in 9th and 10th and 11th and 12th - I don't think they expect you to do them again, so I assumed the entire list was choices.  The "core" where it's a whole year in a box only goes up to 8th.  

The high school curriculum is a work in progress. I believe they plan to release a 9th grade package this summer and another grade each summer. They do however already have some of the guides for the upper grades although the level may not be complete. When they complete a grade level they typically have 3-5 literature selections with guides. They are in the process of adding alternate selections, but I think the push is to complete all the grade levels first. The Iliad and the Odyssey are a part of their Classical Studies. I believe their lesson plans use the Story of the Greeks, The Iliad and the Odyssey over a year.

ETA: MP schedules the Iliad and Odyssey in 7th or 8th grade. An older student may be able to complete them in less time.

You can often find this kind of info on their forum. Here is the new list of all the books for the 9th grade core.

http://forum.memoriapress.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182&d=1426596619

They also have an accelerated option which has some additional literature selections that should be released this summer.

Henry V

Julius Caesar

The Scarlet Letter or Pride & Prejudice

A Midsummer Night's Dream

British Lit. Poetry Anthology II

Robinson Crusoe or Great Expectations

Algebra II

Greek Drama: Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides

The Early Church (Chadwick) & Eusebius

Modern Biology

Traditional Logic I & II

A Concise History of the American Republic (Yr. 1)

Henle II (Part 2)

ETA: Good luck to your daughter! My oldest is working on her double loop :)

• Like 1

I still don't understand how long one lit guide is supposed to take.

In the list SevenDaisies posted above I count 7 novels/plays/collections - do they intend all done in one year, so each should take about 3-4 weeks?  Or are some running concurrently?  

I think the length of the guide would depend on the length of the text being read. If I understand correctly, the 9th grade level is being developed. You can look at the sample lesson plans for the other grades and get an idea of how it would most likely be arranged. Here is the sample of 8th  grade. You may have to contact the company to get the specifics. Can you get to one of the conventions and look at the materials in person?

http://www.memoriapress.com/sites/default/files/products/samples/8th%20Grade%20Sample.pdf

• Like 1

I think the length of the guide would depend on the length of the text being read. 

Well, that makes sense!  I was just trying to get an idea of whether these are full-year workbooks, or semester books, or could be used one at a time for a few weeks to go along with a book we read.  I think what I need is to take a look at the table of contents for specific titles, instead of such a general question.  The conference I like to go to is the same weekend I have to pick up 10yo from camp, so I'm still trying to figure out a way to balance things, but it's a good idea to look there if I can make it to the booksale at least.

Well, that makes sense!  I was just trying to get an idea of whether these are full-year workbooks, or semester books, or could be used one at a time for a few weeks to go along with a book we read.  I think what I need is to take a look at the table of contents for specific titles, instead of such a general question.  The conference I like to go to is the same weekend I have to pick up 10yo from camp, so I'm still trying to figure out a way to balance things, but it's a good idea to look there if I can make it to the booksale at least.

I don't find MP's website to be one of my favorites. They don't have enough samples because the don't have individual links to their materials. So many are grouped into one page. Too many of the samples don't have tables of contents, too. I've had the best luck deciding about their materials by looking at them in person. 

• Like 1

I think the length of the guide would depend on the length of the text being read. If I understand correctly, the 9th grade level is being developed. You can look at the sample lesson plans for the other grades and get an idea of how it would most likely be arranged. Here is the sample of 8th  grade. You may have to contact the company to get the specifics. Can you get to the of the conventions and look at the materials in person?

http://www.memoriapress.com/sites/default/files/products/samples/8th%20Grade%20Sample.pdf

Yes - the length of the guide varies based on the length of the book. In their lesson plans for K-8, they typically schedule about 33-34 weeks. For example, in the sixth grade plans Trojan War takes 10 weeks, Anne of Green Gables 10 weeks, Bronze Bow 6 weeks, and The Hobbit 7 weeks. In 5th grade the guides vary from 3 weeks to 12 weeks. They do believe in a deep and thorough study, so I think the guides could easily be completed in less time. For example, my daughter is reading King Arthur at a pace of 2 chapters per week per the MP schedule. The nice thing is that it leaves plenty of time for pleasure reading.

Some of the books listed above for 9th grade would be read concurrently. Greek Drama would be read for their Classical Studies, not Literature. The Iliad and the Odyssey are also studies as part of their Classical Studies, so they too would be read at the same time as other literature selections.

• Like 1

Some of the books listed above for 9th grade would be read concurrently. Greek Drama would be read for their Classical Studies, not Literature. The Iliad and the Odyssey are also studies as part of their Classical Studies, so they too would be read at the same time as other literature selections.

This is where I'm confused looking at just the core list.  

Thank you for the clarification, and more details on time expectations!