Menu

ISO a nifty inscription for a walking cane

MamaSheep

I sometimes use a cane for minor balance/spacial orientation issues bequeathed to me by my stroke. Since this issue doesn't seem to be getting better any more I'm probably stuck with it, so I've decided to embrace it and start collecting fun canes.

I recently connected, through a friend, with a craftsman who makes beautiful magic wands, and I liked his work enough that I asked if he made any larger, cane-sized pieces. He said he actually had a couple of them in progress that I could see when they were finished, but also offered to make me a custom cane in my price range if I wanted.

We're still chatting about specifics, but he tells me that my price range could include an inscription in the nifty Elder Futhark runes he uses to inscribe his magic wands, and if I want, I can choose what it would say.

So now I'm trying to think of clever, wise, or otherwise interesting quotes, proverbs, scriptures, sayings, etc. that one might inscribe in Elder runes on a hand crafted walking cane so that when someone asks me "what does that actually say?" and I tell them, they will be enlightened and impressed (lol). And I thought, who do I know who would have really cool quotes about journeying, or wandering, or staffs, or some other cane-related lore-ish wisdom. 

And I thought...ooooh! The Hive Mind, of course!

So if you were having such a thing made, what would you have inscribed on it?

• Like 2

I would totally get this quote from Bilbo Baggins on a cane...

"It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to."

I don't know how well that would work with runes though...

I would totally get this quote from Bilbo Baggins on a cane...

"It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to."

I don't know how well that would work with runes though...

I'm quoting because you sparked an idea: " The road goes ever, ever on" might work nicely as a runic inscription ;)

• Like 5