Menu

milk and stuff in it - i took it back!

momofkhm

I bought milk past night.  It has stuff in it.  Globs of stuff.  It's within the date on the back.  It is both pasteurized and homogenized.  And it has large globs of what I think is milk fat. If it was raw milk, I'd expect it.  But it's not.   It smells fine.  Before I take it back, has this happened to anyone else?

ETA:  I took the milk back.  Thanks ladies!

• Like 1

I grew up drinking a lot of milk that had been frozen and then defrosted, and when you do that you end up with globs in your milk.  I found it disgusting as a kid, but it's not unsafe.

I'd return it.  If I pay for fresh milk, that's what I expect.  But if I'd accidentally served some to the kids or something, I wouldn't be alarmed.

I am thinking either ultrapasturized going bad or frozen and thawed. 

FWIW, I am in a raw milk dairy collective and I've never had globs of anything in my milk.  The milk does separate with a distinct cream layer, but you give the bottle a shake and it mixes right in.  If the milk is fresh there aren't any discernible bits of milk fat.  If the milk starts to get a little old...not bad mind you, just 'I'd better use this by the end of the day tomorrow' sort of old..the cream is harder to shake back in. But no globs of things.