Menu

My daughter on her horse

Ottakee

I am glad we got it to post.  

Normally we trail ride but today she wanted to dress up to ride in the arena.  It was only 45 and a bit breezy so that was fine with mom.  Last year she rode over 100 miles on the trails.  This year so far she has over 10 which is really great for West Michigan considering that we still have tiny bits of snow left here.

her pony is "green" which is horse speak means he is new to riding.  He was broke to ride last summer and had a few rides on him before we bought him.  He has been great and has a calm mind but is lacking a lot of exposure to new places and new situations so I am extra cautious with her riding him.  When we are out on the trails we typically put her in the middle between my other daughter and myself.

She is really tiny as this pony is only 13.2hh (which is 54 inches high at his withers). He is cute as a button and terribly hard to keep white as his favorite place to lay down and take a nap is on top of the manure pile.

• Like 7

Wonderful! I love how her heels are down. Both dd and the pony look splendid.

She has been told heels down since she first got in a saddle at 3 years old. It is tough though as she is so tiny and this pony is very round. She does have a good seat though. We need to work in adjusting the stirrups a bit yet but she loves this new Aussie saddle.
  • Like 2

She has been told heels down since she first got in a saddle at 3 years old. It is tough though as she is so tiny and this pony is very round. She does have a good seat though. We need to work in adjusting the stirrups a bit yet but she loves this new Aussie saddle.

"Heels down" ... that brought back memories.  :)

That is so nice! She looks darling!

I love the other horse's ear in the corner of the pic...you're riding and taking the picture, right?

Yes, that is my horse's ear. I was actually on the ground yet but he kept trying to get in the picture too. I rode with her right after this picture was taken.

• Like 1

I am glad we got it to post.  

Normally we trail ride but today she wanted to dress up to ride in the arena.  It was only 45 and a bit breezy so that was fine with mom.  Last year she rode over 100 miles on the trails.  This year so far she has over 10 which is really great for West Michigan considering that we still have tiny bits of snow left here.

her pony is "green" which is horse speak means he is new to riding.  He was broke to ride last summer and had a few rides on him before we bought him.  He has been great and has a calm mind but is lacking a lot of exposure to new places and new situations so I am extra cautious with her riding him.  When we are out on the trails we typically put her in the middle between my other daughter and myself.

She is really tiny as this pony is only 13.2hh (which is 54 inches high at his withers). He is cute as a button and terribly hard to keep white as his favorite place to lay down and take a nap is on top of the manure pile.

This cracks me up!  It's probably the warmest spot this time of year. :)

Your dd looks like she is having a great time.  She is so lucky to get to do so much trail riding!  Her pony is super cute.  I love his bangs, which my dd informed me is called a "forelock, Moooooom!"

• Like 1

Cute picture! I guess my DD isn't the only one who likes to ride draft horses. In fact, her horses of choice are Percherons and halflingers.

She has wanted a draft horse since she was about 20 pounds and could verbalize it.  This is our compromise.  He looks totally drafty except for being only 13.2hh.  He has the thick double mane, BIG feet (bigger than our full size horses), WIDE FLAT back (meaning saddle fit is an issue), and thick head and neck.  He is cute as a button though.........esp. on the rare occ. he is really white like he is supposed to be.

She has ridden Clydesdale and Percherons at the fair as well as Haflingers and she loved them all.

My own personal favorite horse was a Percheron/Paint cross I owned for a short time.  He had a great mind and was smooth as could be to ride but he had a genetic issue I didn't know about when I bought him and I had to put him down a few months later.

• Like 2

This girl has come so far from where she was when they handed her to me at almost 8 months old with no motor or interaction skills.  She has far surpassed anything the experts thought she would do.  Horses have been a big part of this.  She first stood up when we were at a petting zoo and she was by the animals.

She started therapeutic riding at age 3 which led to lessons with a friend which led to us buying her a pony (to share with other dd) which led to a horse for me which led to us buying another horse which led to us buying 3 1/2 acres behind our house, building a barn, putting up fencing, buying a horse trailer,..............................and how we have lots of fun with the horses.

• Like 4

She has wanted a draft horse since she was about 20 pounds and could verbalize it.  This is our compromise.  He looks totally drafty except for being only 13.2hh.  He has the thick double mane, BIG feet (bigger than our full size horses), WIDE FLAT back (meaning saddle fit is an issue), and thick head and neck.  He is cute as a button though.........esp. on the rare occ. he is really white like he is supposed to be.

She has ridden Clydesdale and Percherons at the fair as well as Haflingers and she loved them all.

My own personal favorite horse was a Percheron/Paint cross I owned for a short time.  He had a great mind and was smooth as could be to ride but he had a genetic issue I didn't know about when I bought him and I had to put him down a few months later.

I just wanted to clarify that I "liked" your post because of your daughter's love for drafts :) , not because of your last paragraph. :(  As my Shire/paint cross gets older, I'm trying not to think of the inevitable.  I love that horse.

I've told my husband that if we ever came into a vast sum of money, I'd turn our place into a draft rescue sanctuary. :)

I just wanted to clarify that I "liked" your post because of your daughter's love for drafts :) , not because of your last paragraph. :(  As my Shire/paint cross gets older, I'm trying not to think of the inevitable.  I love that horse.

I've told my husband that if we ever came into a vast sum of money, I'd turn our place into a draft rescue sanctuary. :)

We have rescued our share of older horses already.  I wish we had the money and land to do even more.  I love the oldsters.

• Like 1