Menu

How does a member not have a profile?

swimmermom3

I was curious about someone's response in a thread which sort of implied they had been around the board for a while. When I tried to see their profile, I could not. Is there a way to do that? I can't ever recall not being able to access anyone's profile.

I saw that one.  I wondered if they were now banned?

who? who?

(Yes, I am nosy)

Let's go process of elimination: it's not me. Or you. So, that leaves 35,689 other possibilities.

• Like 35

I saw that one.  I wondered if they were now banned?

Oh, I guess there is that possibility. I just thought maybe there was some setting that you could hit that would keep everything private.  Okay, I thought the name was a bit "spammish" and was curious about their comment. I wanted to know how long they had really been on the board. That would probably make me nosy too. :D

I thought we could still see profiles for banned members, but I could be delusional.

Was it a spambot?  Some take sentences from the thread and repeat it as their post.  So in this post I might lift where Lisa said "I can't ever recall not being able to access anyone's profile" and have it as my entire post.  

I always wondered what spambots do. Would they send hugs too?

• Like 1

I don't think she's banned.

She had a thread recently about a family issue, then she deleted her OP (she had asked people not to quote). Then she changed her user name, and now it seems like she's decided to delete her account.

She probably wanted some privacy.

• Like 3

If you compare post 163 with the quote in post 171 in this thread, you can see the original name of the poster. Neither of those names now comes up in the member list. If it's true that a long-time member left over that thread, that's sad.

Oh.  That's too bad.  She was cool.

• Like 6

She had a thread recently about a family issue, then she deleted her OP (she had asked people not to quote). Then she changed her user name, and now it seems like she's decided to delete her account.

I hope she comes back! She is always very nice. :(

• Like 1

I bet you are right, that's understandable.

If anyone is friends with her IRL, I hope they will encourage her to come back.

If she was upset about sharing too much information in a particular thread she started, she could ask SWB to delete it for her.

I can't imagine that she was banned, so I have to assume she left on her own. I hope she gets permission from SWB to rejoin the forum with a new username (if she has privacy concerns about her old name.)

• Like 5

If she was upset about sharing too much information in a particular thread she started, she could ask SWB to delete it for her.

I can't imagine that she was banned, so I have to assume she left on her own. I hope she gets permission from SWB to rejoin the forum with a new username (if she has privacy concerns about her old name.)

I agree.

• Like 1

I always share way to much information, here and IRL :blushing: . 

• Like 4

I agree...she could just get a new username for privacy. It's been done before.

• Like 1

Just a guess, but I think I know what thread and the advice she got all seemed pretty supportive from the outside, but also pretty strongly in favor of making some changes. It may have been a little difficult to hear.

Agreed that I hope she returns.

• Like 3

You all are much better detectives than I am. I saw Quill's post and just "read" the unknown user name.

I really hope I didn't open up something that was better left alone. That wasn't my intent and I would hate to upset a long time poster.

I hope she'll be back soon.

You all are much better detectives than I am. I saw Quill's post and just "read" the unknown user name.

I really hope I didn't open up something that was better left alone. That wasn't my intent and I would hate to upset a long time poster.

I hope she'll be back soon.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You were curious. There's no crime in that.

Honestly, I don't like it when long time members change their usernames. It used to be better in the past when we were able to see everyone's name history in their profiles, but now it can be a real nuisance trying to figure out who it is when we see a new username but the person has hundreds or thousands of posts, so we know it's a "regular," but not which one it is.

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't like it when long time members change their usernames. It used to be better in the past when we were able to see everyone's name history in their profiles, but now it can be a real nuisance trying to figure out who it is when we see a new username but the person has hundreds or thousands of posts, so we know it's a "regular," but not which one it is.

If the person with the unfamiliar name has a high post count, you can search for their content, go to the oldest threads, and see if anyone quoted them. When you change your name, it will change the name on all your old posts, but if someone quoted you, the previous username will still be in the quote. 

• Like 4

I agree.. I hope she comes back. 

If the person with the unfamiliar name has a high post count, you can search for their content, go to the oldest threads, and see if anyone quoted them. When you change your name, it will change the name on all your old posts, but if someone quoted you, the previous username will still be in the quote.

I know, but it was a whole lot easier when we could simply look up the old name on the profile page. It's a nuisance to have to play detective! :)

• Like 2

I know, but it was a whole lot easier when we could simply look up the old name on the profile page. It's a nuisance to have to play detective! :)

You know that you are perpetrating the stereotype that cats are lazy, don't you?   :laugh: 

• Like 2

I need to send you some Nancy Drew PC games because it's REALLY FUN to play detective.

"It's up to you, Nancy Drew."

• Like 2

So if someone's account is deleted is all their content gone? & how do you delete an account? I don't even see that as an option... Is that a moderator task?

Just idly musing...

Content is not gone.  It is a moderator task.  You can also ask moderators to delete certain posts or threads but I would highly doubt that they would even have the time to go through and delete everything you ever wrote.  Besides, even if they did, stuff is still on the internet in some form through the wayback machine.   

Moral of the story - think before you post!  And another moral - real life help is often better than internet help.  It's ok to need it and it's ok for us to point that out.  

• Like 5

Guys,

No one was banned. There were some serious privacy issues that the member asked us to assist with. It's technically difficult but we did our best, given the situation.

Could I just take this opportunity, once again, to point out that this is not a private space...and there should, possibly, be a tiny bit more thinking-before-posting, particularly when you're discussing family members?

I'm closing this so as not to torpedo our own efforts to help the member, but you're welcome to PM me if you have questions.

SWB