Menu

Took the First Step Today Towards Becoming a SLP

I feel simultaneously nervous and excited after registering for summer online courses through Utah State. I'm going to be taking "Language, Speech, and Hearing Development" and "Fundamentals of Anatomy for Speech & Language" as a conditional admit. I also submitted an application for fall to the 2nd bachelor's in Communicative Disorders.

I decided on Utah State rather than Cal State Northridge's online program even though the cost is a bit higher because USU has a really strong grad program in Listening and Spoken Language for the deaf/hard-of-hearing. When I looked at the students in the LSL program, every single one of them had an undergrad degree (either 1st or 2nd) from USU. So it looks like they strongly favor their own undergrads in admissions and if I want to have a shot, I should do the pre-reqs with them rather than CSU.

• Like 15

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I still have a long road to go before becoming a certified SLP. If I do the 2nd bachelor's at a half-time pace, it will take me 6 semesters. Then I will need to apply to the master's program. Admission is competitive and I don't know whether I'll face an age bias. But if I can get good grades in the 2nd bachelor's program and strong GRE scores like I had back in the day (sadly long expired now) that should help my chances.

Congratulations on your decision! Weren't you thinking of doing an ed therapy program? The speech/language emphasis will certainly help you with your own child!

I was actually in the middle of putting together an application when we learned of the hearing loss. I may still do a certificate in ed therapy but not the full master's. A master's in SLP plus the certificate would satisfy the criteria for certification.

I was actually in the middle of putting together an application when we learned of the hearing loss. I may still do a certificate in ed therapy but not the full master's. A master's in SLP plus the certificate would satisfy the criteria for certification.

That sounds like a good combination! In the fall, I will be doing my internship for the UCR Educational Therapy Certificate. I'll also be applying to upgrade my AET membership from student to associate. With those in place, I'll be able to start building my practice a little more actively. However, in order to be eligible for board certification, I'll still need to go on for a full master's degree. I'm currently reviewing programs again to figure out which direction to go for my master's. It really needs to be online, because I don't have a school near me that really has what I want to study.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds like a good combination! In the fall, I will be doing my internship for the UCR Educational Therapy Certificate. I'll also be applying to upgrade my AET membership from student to associate. With those in place, I'll be able to start building my practice a little more actively. However, in order to be eligible for board certification, I'll still need to go on for a full master's degree. I'm currently reviewing programs again to figure out which direction to go for my master's. It really needs to be online, because I don't have a school near me that really has what I want to study.

One low-residency hybrid program that you might want to consider that I've been looking at is University of Southern Mississippi's M.Ed. in Dyslexia Therapy. It's mostly online but students do take on-campus classes over 2 summers. https://www.usm.edu/dubard/master-education-degree-dyslexia-therapy

Southern Miss has a strong SLP program for working with the D/HoH and if I'm already there, I might see if I can combine it with the dyslexia therapy program.

One low-residency hybrid program that you might want to consider that I've been looking at is University of Southern Mississippi's M.Ed. in Dyslexia Therapy. It's mostly online but students do take on-campus classes over 2 summers. https://www.usm.edu/dubard/master-education-degree-dyslexia-therapy

Southern Miss has a strong SLP program for working with the D/HoH and if I'm already there, I might see if I can combine it with the dyslexia therapy program.

Thanks for sharing this information. It looks like it could be a good program if I decide I want to focus specifically on dyslexia.

Thanks for sharing this information. It looks like it could be a good program if I decide I want to focus specifically on dyslexia.

It is IMSLEC-accredited so you would meet the certification requirements for ALTA.

What intrigues me about the specific reading intervention they use (DuBard Association Method) is that it is based off of one originally developed by the Central Institute for the Deaf. I don't know how appropriate the current version is for students with hearing loss but they might have a copy of the old program in their archives.

• Like 1