Menu

How would you count this credit?

I know the general rule is 1 high school credit for a 3-credit college course.  What if the course counts toward a 2-year degree, but does not transfer to a 4-year college?  Would you still give it a full high school credit, or just half?

Depends on the credit, not on whether it transfers or nor.

Not every 3 hour college credit is equivalent to 1 full high school credit; some 1 semester courses only cover material taught in one semester of high school, not the full year - and some of those are taught at 4 year colleges.

So, I'd need more info to decide.

• Like 2

Piggy backing.

I had intended to count each semester of pre-calc at the CC as 1 high school credit.  The first semester (at school #1) was very demanding and took about 300 hours of homework time in addition to the class meetings.  It was a 3 credit course.

The second semester (at school #2) was on trig.  It took a lot less time, but I'm not totally sure if this was because it was easier material, because my son had learned how to handle this type of course, or if the class wasn't as demanding as the corresponding course would have been if he'd stayed at school #1.  

Both courses are considered to be college level (ie, they are 100 level courses, and are not remedial math courses).  Both schools have aggreements with the state university system such that the course is accepted at the 4 year campus (UC/CSU for school #1 and UH for school #2).

Would it be strange to count the first semester course as one full precalculus credit and the second course as a half credit?  Ought I be consistent and count each 3 credit math course as a 1 credit high school class.  He will be taking Calc 1 and Calc 2 from school #2 as a senior.

I had intended to count each semester of pre-calc at the CC as 1 high school credit.  The first semester (at school #1) was very demanding and took about 300 hours of homework time in addition to the class meetings.  It was a 3 credit course.

The second semester (at school #2) was on trig.  It took a lot less time, but I'm not totally sure if this was because it was easier material, because my son had learned how to handle this type of course, or if the class wasn't as demanding as the corresponding course would have been if he'd stayed at school #1.  

Both courses are considered to be college level (ie, they are 100 level courses, and are not remedial math courses).  Both schools have aggreements with the state university system such that the course is accepted at the 4 year campus (UC/CSU for school #1 and UH for school #2).

Would it be strange to count the first semester course as one full precalculus credit and the second course as a half credit?  Ought I be consistent and count each 3 credit math course as a 1 credit high school class. 

I personally would give one high school credit total for both, since precalculus is typically a one year high school course that contains trigonometry.

I would only give more credit if the material covered was significantly more and more in depth than what is covered in a typical high school precalculus course. I would not give more credit just because the course has insane amounts of homework over the same material.

• Like 1

Would it be strange to count the first semester course as one full precalculus credit and the second course as a half credit?  Ought I be consistent and count each 3 credit math course as a 1 credit high school class.  He will be taking Calc 1 and Calc 2 from school #2 as a senior.

I would probably give a full credit to the first class and .5 credit to the second. Was the first titled Pre-Calc or was it titled College Algebra? Here students regularly take College Algebra in high schools (dual enrollment) for a full credit. However, trig is typically a .5 credit high school course, and that seems to match the hours your ds put in.

If the course was a 2 semester Pre-Calc course, then I might hesitate to give more than 1 credit for the whole thing. Regentrude is correct, Pre-Calc is normally 1 high school credit, even if the teacher requires insane amounts of work. :(

I know the general rule is 1 high school credit for a 3-credit college course.  What if the course counts toward a 2-year degree, but does not transfer to a 4-year college?  Would you still give it a full high school credit, or just half?

It totally depends on the class. I agree with Regentrude, the transferability of the credit has nothing to do with the credit given in high school.

In my homeschool world, *all* college courses equal 1 high school credit. I would absolutely give a full high school credit whether it transferred or not, because my child would have worked just as hard for it.