Menu

Need tips to improve running form

klmama

One of my dc needs to improve running form to increase speed.  The issue that I see is feet and lower legs moving out to the sides after pushing off instead of staying in line with the upper legs.  Suggestions for correcting this?  Website recommendations?  Thanks.

I'd not try to change someone's running gait unless I was a coach and/or PT. You can really get messed up trying to change your natural movements. 

That said, I think it is safe to follow general principles such as, "quick, quiet, soft . .. " etc. 

Also, I think running form develops naturally over 1000s of miles of running. So, if the runner is a new runner, they're often well served by simply running more over time (assuming they aren't getting hurt, which would prod me to a prompt visit to a good PT). Over time and many, many miles, a more efficient form generally develops. This is why runners get faster and faster by logging lots of miles. It's partially strength/stamina, but it is also efficiency of form, which evolves on its own over many, many miles.

I'd definitely seek advice from a running coach who works directly with your kid. Or maybe a PT that works in sports medicine if you can access a PT like that. (My running-injury PT was a serious triathlete, which really helped him be able to coach me into better form.)

I read that book, but never could figure out how to do what he was saying. I guess I'm just not Chi. :)

BTW, I agree with Stephanie and Binip.

I read that book, but never could figure out how to do what he was saying. I guess I'm just not Chi. :)

BTW, I agree with Stephanie and Binip.

Did you get the metronome? I did, and it was so very helpful! I found that cranking up my cadence was a key step to healthy running form.

• Like 1

I think the Chi Running book helped me. I spent a year with plantar fasciitis that I think was caused by my relatively new (at the time) practice of running on our treadmill. I definitely had a heel-strike form that isn't good. Using the book I was able to change to a midfoot strike and I also now use a playlist with songs at 170 beats per minute to keep the right cadence for me. I have not had any pain issues since starting this (before the PF I also would sometimes get hip pain). That's two years pain-free now.

I hated running when I was using a heel strike form. I don't do that anymore, and I enjoy it so much more. I'm better, stronger, faster. But I don't go 60 mph.  ;)  (that reference is a generational thing...)

I've seen children run in the way you're describing. I don't know how old your child is, but mine who did this grew out of it sometime between 5-7. 

Why does she need to increase her speed? Is it for running track or for a different sport that involves running. Is it for her to increase her speed in for a 100 meter dash, a mile, or a 10 to 20 yard sprint for a sport like soccer?