Menu

Vision therapy and prism glasses

I just took youngest DS for routine eye exam and it seems that he may need vison therapy. It would explain a lot. I have been adjusting to different kids' abilities for so long, that it hasn't occurred to me that covering one eye while reading or reading a book off to the side isn't typical. Have you heard of "trying glasses with a prisim effect ". . He was prescribed this with the instructions to return for probable vison therapy if improvements weren't noted. I have never heard of this.

Side note, my eldest DD closes one eye when tired, as it helps her read. She skips lines and words and has to reread for content. I made appointments for her and other DD. Does this run in families? It may be another piece of the puzzle. Any help is appreciated. I dont know even what questions to ask.

Yes, I was told that prism glasses would be DS's next option if VT didn't work.  The doc didn't want to start with prism glasses since DS has perfect eye sight from a visual acuity standpoint and the issue is only in one eye.  He hoped VT would address the issue and saddling my sensory sensitive kid with glasses would be unnecessary.  VT did help.  We may still be looking at prism glasses further down the line, but not right now....

• Like 1

I close one eye to read and sew when I am tired.  I can't remember what is called, either eso- or exo- phoria.  Mechanical drawing in college nearly killed me.  I can sense when I have overtired my eyes so stop before I am blinded.  My eyes will quit focusing on print if I overdo things.  

DS has it too though his is not as severe as mine.  He wore prisms for a year.  The prism correction was small and the COVD suggested that son could go without it.  Instead of paying $600 at the COVD office for prism lenses and frames, I carried the script over to Walmart and filled it.  DS wore the glasses for one year, and then we opted to stop.  If son's prism correction were larger, he would still be wearing them.  His prism correction is simply too small to deal with.

I wear bifocals and have never tried prism lenses.  Prism lenses help reduce eyestrain.  

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the replies! Does wearing the prism glasses train the eyes, or is more of an adaptive thing, meaning they will need to continue to wear to get benefits?

Heathermomster, I cannot imagine doing mechanical drawing with those issues..you are a rock star!

Onestep, I totally get the sensory thing with wearing glasses. Does your DS has some tactile sensitivity?

My DS glasses were in the $150-$200 range, so I didn't think it was too bad. I'm actually not sure if there was a correction, or if the glasses were primarily for convergence.

Middle DD has such different vision. Years ago when she was evaluated as she can had holes in her visual field, lacked some peripheral vision ( not good with two brothers that like to throw pillows), but could see amazing detail. Basically the CoVD said it was a visual attention issue and didn't treat. I should have brought all the kids in for an eval, really regretting it.

• Like 2

I have prism lenses, but I am switching to regular for a bit. I am terrible about remembering to wear my glasses. I find myself looking at the tv or book from different angles, closing one eye, etc to concentrate and realize it's time to just rest my eyes for a bit.

• Like 2

yes it can run in families.

I would urge you to take them to a developmental eye dr - not just 'any old' eye dr.

I'm an adult, with grown kids, and I see a developmental.  reg ones leave me sick to my stomach after an exam because they don't know how to adjust their methods for my eyes.  (let alone give me an appropriate rx correction.)

covering one eye, etc. can also be a sign the eyes are tired.

if the eyes aren't working together, then they are fighting each other - which leads to fatigue, headaches, skipping lines because they eyes are looking at two different things, etc.

I remember the first time I put on prism lenses - I didn't realize my eyes had been fighting each other that  much as I could feel tension go out of me.

prisms are adaptive - they would need to do actual vision therapy to possibly train their eyes to work together and strengthen the weaker eye.

I have prisms in my lenses - but I'm also somewhat near sighted with a fairly strong astigmatism  in one eye.   I've had surgery to correct my strabismus which was beyond vision therapy , but it wasn't done until I was late teen's.

• Like 3

Thanks gardenmom5 and Hwin. The eye clinic my family goes to happens to have a covd doc on staff. She did my son's acuity test and prescribed the prism glasses and talked to my about vison therapy. She just happened to work there. I know how blessed we are, as years ago whn i looked for one to eval my daughter in a different state , it was a looong drive. In my house we would call this a God thing as the odds of just getting one when you call to make a regular appointment are pretty slim!

Wait, is a COVD the same as a deveolpmental eye doc?

Sorry to hear aboute nausea with the other exam types. Wondering if some headaches and nausea of DD1 can be partially attributed to vison/ visual perception as well. She says it is like sever motion sickness. Hmmmm.. Thanks! i 'm feeling pretty hopeful!

• Like 1

Two of my kids have low strength prism glasses. I had a new eye prescription filled at the same time and when I got my new glasses, I was shocked to find that I could read better with my son's prism glasses. My doc added prism to my prescription and redid my glasses at his cost.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the replies! Does wearing the prism glasses train the eyes, or is more of an adaptive thing, meaning they will need to continue to wear to get benefits?

Heathermomster, I cannot imagine doing mechanical drawing with those issues..you are a rock star!

Onestep, I totally get the sensory thing with wearing glasses. Does your DS has some tactile sensitivity?

My DS glasses were in the $150-$200 range, so I didn't think it was too bad. I'm actually not sure if there was a correction, or if the glasses were primarily for convergence.

Middle DD has such different vision. Years ago when she was evaluated as she can had holes in her visual field, lacked some peripheral vision ( not good with two brothers that like to throw pillows), but could see amazing detail. Basically the CoVD said it was a visual attention issue and didn't treat. I should have brought all the kids in for an eval, really regretting it.

You crack me up.  No heroics there, just hard headedness.  I only discovered what the problem was about 3 years ago, and the optometrist was a jerk about it.   

And to add to my thread...  I took son to a COVD, and the COVD's spouse, who has severe binocular vision issues, is a PhD in either physics or engineering.  DS is also a whiz at 2D to 3D drawing on the computer.

• Like 2

Yes, some tactile issues.  Extreme sensitivity to temperature changes for the longest time, too.  

My 11 yo DD was prescribed prism lenses by her COVD last summer.  She noticed an immediate improvement in her ability to read close up.   However, she recently told me that the glasses are not working effectively anymore, so I'm not sure what's up with that. :(

The COVD mentioned that not all cases of convergence insufficiency can be managed with prism lenses, but my DD was one of the lucky ones.  The glasses are not intended to cure the vision problems, but to manage them, just as if you had glasses for nearsightedness. 

The doctor also encouraged vision therapy but, unfortunately, it's not affordable for us right now. :(  I'm looking into finding some at-home VT alternatives and see if they're helpful.  

• Like 2

Yes, some tactile issues. Extreme sensitivity to temperature changes for the longest time, too.

I am sorry that can be difficult. Do y'all see an O.T, I can't remember? I am no expert, but I have known people that had a lot of success with this home treatment. On their own or with O.T., but i think they usuallynget trained by their S.I. O.T.

http://www.ot-innovations.com/content/view/55/46/

• Like 1

I am sorry that can be difficult. Do y'all see an O.T, I can't remember? I am no expert, but I have known people that had a lot of success with this home treatment. On their own or with O.T., but i think they usuallynget trained by their S.I. O.T.

http://www.ot-innovations.com/content/view/55/46/

I have a friend who is a PT in another state who had recommended these techniques but I had not seen it written out like that.  Thanks!

Actually, I tried looking for a reliable OT in our area and was unsuccessful.  Our ped wasn't much help there, either.  And I consider her a friend.  Heck, that same pediatrician (whom we have had for 14 years) just sent a letter that basically stated she will no longer be practicing in our state and to find another doctor.  No referral.  No nothing.  Not even goodbye.  

I have a friend who is a PT in another state who had recommended these techniques but I had not seen it written out like that. Thanks!

Actually, I tried looking for a reliable OT in our area and was unsuccessful. Our ped wasn't much help there, either. And I consider her a friend. Heck, that same pediatrician (whom we have had for 14 years) just sent a letter that basically stated she will no longer be practicing in our state and to find another doctor. No referral. No nothing. Not even goodbye.

Wow. That is crazy about your ped. Just found this , not sure if it will help your, or anyone else's search for an O.T. I think if they have started getting SIPT trained, they will be interested in the sensory inegration treament methods and may be the most helpful. http://sensorysmarts.com/find_an_ot.html

Hope that helps , you are always so helpful to us!

• Like 1

Wow. That is crazy about your ped. Just found this , not sure if it will help your, or anyone else's search for an O.T. I think if they have started getting SIPT trained, they will be interested in the sensory inegration treament methods and may be the most helpful. http://sensorysmarts.com/find_an_ot.html

Hope that helps , you are always so helpful to us!

Thanks! That search feature is nice. Unfortunately it didnt find anything in my area either. Oh well. I really appreciate the link.

Thanks! That search feature is nice. Unfortunately it didnt find anything in my area either. Oh well. I really appreciate the link.

Sorry, Onestep. I should have figured that you would have already checked all of this out. I wish there were more.

• Like 1