Menu

Just learned of giftedness,blowing my mind!

Guest jimscarlet

Guest jimscarlet

Hi Guys,

I've only recently learned that I am 'gifted',and reading Mary Ellen Jacobson book on

gifted adults. I had terrible childhood,so last thing I ever thought was I was gifted; but I seem to

have all things indicating it is so. All my life (64),I've thought I was nothing,I was different,

I seemed to attract criticism,and complaints about 'using those big words' (I love the English

language),so I have 'dumbed down' in past,saying to self,"nobody likes a know it all" and so

on.

This information has shocked me,I broke down in tears in sorrow for not knowing dear self was

so much better than thought before.My mind is turning like a lawnmower at a past littered with

regrets at what I could have done,even though I know that's futile.

Dear God,the people I mixed with were morons! I am so glad I found this forum as I live alone

and am desperate to talk to others who understand.

Kind Regards,

jimscarlet

Guest aliana04

Jim, this forum is actually for people who follow the model of classical education laid out in the book The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer for educating their children. If you're interested in self-education, she also has a book called The Well-Educated Mind that is very good and aimed at adults. If you need a support network for gifted adults, may I recommend Paula Prober's blog? She specializes in counseling gifted adults, and her blog is often very uplifting. Finding a local Mensa group may be a good fit for you, as well. Best of luck! :-)

https://rainforestmind.wordpress.com/

https://www.mensa.org/