Menu

Integrated maths for grade 7 and over

I know of MEP, but we didn't really like the earlier years. There is Singapore, but it appears to be getting harder and harder to get hold of. I don't want to start something And then have to switch later.

Are there any other options?

I'm not in the U.S. and don't understand your maths progression after grade 6. Maybe if you could explain it then I wouldn't need to integrate and I could have a lot more choice??!! ( not entirely sure that is a good thing though) ðŸ˜

The traditional math progression for college bound kids here in the US is:

Prealgebra 

Algebra I

Geometry

Algebra 2

Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry

Calculus (or sometimes Statistics)

There may be some variations on that sequence and, hopefully, others will chime in with any differences. 

Saxon integrates geometry into algebra 1, algebra 2 and advanced mathematics.  Advanced mathematics also has trig and pre calc. 

I'm referring to a specific edition of Saxon because there are some editions where it is separated out.  I believe it is the third edition of algebra 1 and 2 and then the second edition of advanced mathematics. 

• Like 1

Have you looked over the upper years of MEP?  It *is* a different beast than the younger years-broken into units, and more topical.  Some people who loved the younger years (1-6) actually don't like the upper years.  You may be on the other side of that equation...

After finishing a US math (Calvert) which is described as pre-algebra, DD has moved on to using a Cambridge IGCSE text which is totally integrated maths.  Materials marked for the UK 'key stage 3' (11-14 years) will also be fully integrated maths.

We had to step away from the US materials in order to be able to cover the full scope of the IGCSE.

Thanks AliR. Would you recommend Cambridge? I'm not sure we are ready for the IGCSE route just yet, we need to tread water a little longer.

It's tricky choosing stuff that is written in the UK because I can't find any reviews anywhere, and I don't know any other families with older kids where we are.

Hi EmmaNZ.  I like the coverage of the Cambridge IGCSE as it goes into a good amount of depth on a whole range of topics.  Our book is the Cambridge IGCSE Maths student book by Collins author Chris Pearce, and I think it has a look inside feature on amazon so you can use this to see the contents.  Although we are using it as part of a distance learning package, it is designed to stand alone and be used over two years.

If you have a reasonably mathy child and are comfortable teaching maths yourself, I think you could start the IGCSE materials after a rigorous US 6th grade curriculum.  Or take a look at MEP Years 7-9 as these would be the years preceding entry onto an IGCSE course.

Our school district seems to be leaning towards an integrated Math implementation of Common Core for High School (9th to 12th grade). I am assuming there will be publishers who will offer text books for those districts adopting this model. There may be more US based integrated Math High School text books coming out soon.