Menu

Has anyone made a BFSU kit available for sale? Also any advice?

MeaganS

I'm doing planning for next year and was trying to think about how I can make BFSU more user friendly, and I was wondering if there was a kit anywhere out there? Volume 1 if it matters.

Also, any advice on making BFSU more streamlined? I found the list of all items needed for each lesson which is helpful and plan on doing as much in advance as possible, like making various notecards and gathering items. Any other advice for a BFSU newbie?

I haven't found a kit, but I did find it helpful to make a list of all the non-household items needed and order them all at once at the beginning of the year. Hometrainingtools.com is my favorite online science supplier, and I believe it had everything I needed for volume one. 

My biggest advice is just to go for it! Pick a lesson, read it and underline the key points, and then give it a try. You'll soon find how much time you want to spend on each lesson and how much time your kids will be able to give it their attention. 

I'm beginning Volume 2 this fall, and I'm looking forward to trying out a tip I read here on the forums. I can't remember who suggested this, but I'm going to cut the spine off and three-hole punch it so that I can grab just one lesson at a time and put it in its own binder while we're working on it. There's something about digging through that whole book that can feel a little intimidating and overwhelming--I think I'll feel more in control when I just have one lesson to look at. 

• Like 4

I basically made my own kit by throwing everything that isn't a normal household item for us into a box. I also went through the books list to see which were available at my library. For lessons where my library didn't have many of the recommended books, I looked for others and noted them by lesson. Now I jus see what lessons will be covered over the next 4 weeks and add those books to my regular book reservation routine, picking them up once per week.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice is just to jump in and go for it. Don't overthink it and try to plan out a bunch of topics ahead of time. I get overwhelmed by it when I try to do that and end up putting it off until I have it planned and prepared perfectly. I'm much better using it "on the fly" as long as I have the supplies.

There's a fb group with some links that I've found helpful if you do a search for the curriculum.

• Like 1

I find it pretty easy to use. I read over the lesson, gather supplies and any books I want to use. Most of the supplies are pretty easy to gather - especially in volume 1. My biggest obstacle has always been time. For me making sure I carve out time for the lesson is the most important factor in my getting the lesson done.

Finding the Lets Read and Find Out book that corresponds to the lesson (there is one for almost every lesson) can make presenting the topic very straightforward.

I LOVE these books, and they do indeed go well with the BFSU lessons.

To OP, remember that Vol 1 is not just an age range of K-2, but is meant to be used for all those 3 years. So 41 lessons broken up over 3 years. Within those lessons are "parts", and I've found averaging one part per week (60-90 minutes) is plenty to get the curriculum done in 3 years.

We've used BFSU for one year, and while I enjoy it, I MUST pLan out each lesson in advance; it's not open and go for me. My plan for next year is to do 15 lessons (so 11 in K, 15 in 1st, 15 in 2nd) and to plan out EVERYTHING over the summer for 1st so it BECOMES open and go.

I've also found that reading though the lesson for my OWN understanding allows me to tweak the demonstrations so they don't seem so insurmountable. I also don't do EVERY demonstration. I've also decided to use WHAT I HAVE and only buy when truly necessary. I used a kick ball instead of a globe for the lesson on night and day, and DS understood it just fine.

DS also has a composition book with a blank space for drawing for his Science Notebook. When appropriate, I have him describe the demonstration to me, I write what he says in the notebook, then he illustrates it. He loves to flip back through it.

• Like 1

To OP, remember that Vol 1 is not just an age range of K-2, but is meant to be used for all those 3 years. So 41 lessons broken up over 3 years. Within those lessons are "parts", and I've found averaging one part per week (60-90 minutes) is plenty to get the curriculum done in 3 years.

We've used BFSU for one year, and while I enjoy it, I MUST pLan out each lesson in advance; it's not open and go for me. My plan for next year is to do 15 lessons (so 11 in K, 15 in 1st, 15 in 2nd) and to plan out EVERYTHING over the summer for 1st so it BECOMES open and go.

I've also found that reading though the lesson for my OWN understanding allows me to tweak the demonstrations so they don't seem so insurmountable. I also don't do EVERY demonstration. I've also decided to use WHAT I HAVE and only buy when truly necessary. I used a kick ball instead of a globe for the lesson on night and day, and DS understood it just fine.

DS also has a composition book with a blank space for drawing for his Science Notebook. When appropriate, I have him describe the demonstration to me, I write what he says in the notebook, then he illustrates it. He loves to flip back through it.

That is great advice.  Do you focus on any on area for the grades or a sampling of all topics?  Can you explain how you choose your lessons for each year?

That is great advice. Do you focus on any on area for the grades or a sampling of all topics? Can you explain how you choose your lessons for each year?

Not Carrie, but I can tell you how I do it. I've separated out the lessons into "blocks", essentially unit studies with logical groupings within the book. When I chunked it out like that, it made it easier for me to see what to cover in which year because some lessons are prerequisites for a lot of other lessons. We're still in the midst of it, but you can get the idea of what I'm talking about on my blog: http://everchangingchild.blogspot.com/2015/02/building-foundations-of-scientific_9.html.

I don't try to plan out the entire year. When we wrap up a unit, I take some time to plan the next unit. I read through all the lessons in the unit to see where they overlap and get a feel for the unit as a whole. I make a shopping list and get anything I don't have.

• Like 1

I am just curious as I may try and use BFSU again with two younger Dds.  How are you planning on making it open and go?  What do you mean by planning everything out?  That is the one thing that has made it difficult for me, the only way anything gets done around here is if it is open and go.

That is great advice. Do you focus on any on area for the grades or a sampling of all topics? Can you explain how you choose your lessons for each year?

When I started, I started at the beginning with A/B-1, then I just kept going with the A thread. I went though A-3, then jumped to D-1 through -3A because DS was really into maps at the time.

I don't know why, but I chose the C thread next... but I had lost my momentum and stopped for a while...

I've recently made an index card for each lesson. On it I list it's name, page numbers, lesson prerequisites, and the materials list on the back side (all those details are already spelled out at the beginning of each lesson). This helped me with big picture planning. With these I was able to see better how each set of lesson works off each other.

Basically at this point, I'll stay within a thread until I hit something that has a pre req we haven't done yet. So up next I'll do C-1, 2, 3, jump back to A-4 really quick, and finish with C-4.

The index cards help me to physically lay it all out. And it's also easy to reorder if necessary. After C-4, I could either do more A or start B. The beauty of this program is that it doesn't matter. I'll do whatever I think DS will enjoy more at the time. Everyone's path will be different.

I am just curious as I may try and use BFSU again with two younger Dds. How are you planning on making it open and go? What do you mean by planning everything out? That is the one thing that has made it difficult for me, the only way anything gets done around here is if it is open and go.

See my previous post about my index cards that help me plan the order of lessons. :)

When planning each lesson in detail, I'll note any obscure materials I might need to purchase so I'll have them on hand. I'll also make a book list to reserve from the library - this might possibly be jis the Look and Find Out Series exclusively. I often reserve other titles suggested and use them or not, depending on the quality or complexity.

I'll also read each lesson in detail and write a short summary on the index card to help refresh my memory later when the time comes to organzie the actual lesson.

Hope that helps!

Not Carrie, but I can tell you how I do it. I've separated out the lessons into "blocks", essentially unit studies with logical groupings within the book. When I chunked it out like that, it made it easier for me to see what to cover in which year because some lessons are prerequisites for a lot of other lessons. We're still in the midst of it, but you can get the idea of what I'm talking about on my blog: http://everchangingchild.blogspot.com/2015/02/building-foundations-of-scientific_9.html.

I don't try to plan out the entire year. When we wrap up a unit, I take some time to plan the next unit. I read through all the lessons in the unit to see where they overlap and get a feel for the unit as a whole. I make a shopping list and get anything I don't have.

I feel like breaking the threads down into chunks is definitely what I end up doing. I feel they flow better that way. They divide up easily once you consider the pre req.

I think it's helpful to remember that science at this level is about exposure and exploration and fun.

I use BFSU primarily as conversation with my son when we walk the dog in the afternoon. I'll read the section and then talk to my son about it. Once in a while we'll do an activity but not for every lesson.

We've found it very fun to play the game 20 questions using the concepts we learn about. One of the lessons is on solid, liquid, gas. Another on energy. Another on living vs non-living. Another on materials. So over time our game has expanded and improved and we review the concepts. Example questions we ask when we play:

* Is it matter?

* Is it solid?

* Is it living?

* Is it man made?

* Is it an animal?

* Is it made of metal?

• Like 1