Menu

UMass Amherst Transcript FOLLOW-UP

Maura in NY

Original thread here -- http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/546625-umass-amherst-transcripts-anyone-have-a-success-story/

And my follow-up, as promised:

The director of admissions at UMass Amherst responded to my letter on behalf of the chancellor, and said that after reading my letter "it is clear we need to undertake a review of how we evaluate and select homeschooled students like your son." 

They are willing to accept the "letter of substantially equivalent education" from our district superintendent in lieu of an official transcript or GED.

So, a win for us. And hopefully a win for future homeschool applicants to UMass Amherst, if they revise their requirements.

We left it up to Brody whether we keep them on the list, and he says yes, so the visit is back on.

I honestly did not think I would get a response to my letter...I'm glad my cynicism was misplaced.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts on this.

Peace,

Maura

• Like 37

Original thread here -- http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/546625-umass-amherst-transcripts-anyone-have-a-success-story/

And my follow-up, as promised:

The director of admissions at UMass Amherst responded to my letter on behalf of the chancellor, and said that after reading my letter "it is clear we need to undertake a review of how we evaluate and select homeschooled students like your son." 

They are willing to accept the "letter of substantially equivalent education" from our district superintendent in lieu of an official transcript or GED.

So, a win for us. And hopefully a win for future homeschool applicants to UMass Amherst, if they revise their requirements.

We left it up to Brody whether we keep them on the list, and he says yes, so the visit is back on.

I honestly did not think I would get a response to my letter...I'm glad my cynicism was misplaced.

Peace,

Maura

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Well, that's wonderful news!!!!!  Thanks so much for bumping this up the chain and persisting - this really gives me hope! 

And THANK YOU from me and on behalf of all those who come after you!

Any idea if this director of admissions is on the new side - just wondering if there had been turnover since Nan tried this...  new blood is good!

You are one of the homeschooling pioneers!   Awesome! 

Maura in NY will go down in infamy for clearing the way

to UMass for NY homeschoolers without any GED required!

Maybe soon they'll join the other 3000+ colleges which

accept just the homeschooling transcript from all 50 states.

:hurray: :party: :hurray:

• Like 6

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Well, that's wonderful news!!!!!  Thanks so much for bumping this up the chain and persisting - this really gives me hope! 

And THANK YOU from me and on behalf of all those who come after you!

Any idea if this director of admissions is on the new side - just wondering if there had been turnover since Nan tried this...  new blood is good!

He's been the director since 2005.

Wow! Good job! Definitely think you should go down in homeschooling history!

For the record, I only exchanged emails with one admissions councelor. I pushed hard and quoted stuff at her, but I did not try to going over her head.

This is great news, and not just for NYers. The phrase "equivalent education" gives Mass homeschoolers something to take to their school departments. The school departments are already approving our plans yearly and checking on our yearly assessments with an eye to whether we are providing this. It is a very short step from those approval letters to a "substantially equivalent" letter, one that hopefully either our school departments will be willing to make or UMass Amherst will be willing to make.

Wonderful!

Nan

• Like 3

Nan -- the other key phrase they are looking for is that you have homeschooled in accordance with your state regulations.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Blushing here. I really just wrote the letter so I could stop gripping about the unfairness and move on.

• Like 1

Terrific job, Maura.  That took some time and effort to accomplish.

Nan -- the other key phrase they are looking for is that you have homeschooled in accordance with your state regulations.

:iagree:

This makes the transcript look official.  For the school on my transcript, I used: 

Homeschool, operated in accordance with Florida Statute 1002.41

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Blushing here. I really just wrote the letter so I could stop gripping about the unfairness and move on.

Ok, so - an official letter from your school department containing the phrase "substancially equivalent education" and "in accordance with your state regulations".  Is that right?  This should be doable if you are on good terms with your school department.

I guess the next step is for somebody to tell the people who run that website for Mass. superintendents about homeschooling laws.  Maybe they would be willing to include the information that UMass Amherst would like to see this information.

Nan

Yes, be hopeful and start now with a plan. Once again, we may have lucked out. Ds homeschooled 9 and 10 in TX, 11 and 12 in NY. I don't believe the school district here has encountered a high-school homeschooler before, but they do have several in the early grades. After hearing all the horror stories about rules and regs, I made sure those silly quarterlies and IEPs followed as close as possible( and beyond) to what the local school was doing. We even forced ourselves to read some of the books they were  .You don't really have to copy their curriculum, just find an effective way of presenting yours as something they can relate to,lol. He could have taken the Regents, but didn't. Instead, I made sure to write about his SAT/ACT/SAT2 scores.( We chose all three primarily for this reason). I was sickeningly polite when I hand delivered each quarterly. The super wasn't in his office when I asked for the letter( emailed him, then showed up in person) so I left a note with the exact words needed. I handed the last folder with his final grades and university acceptances to some secretaries. They were quite curious; one claimed it was best if Walt took the GED( as in, poor kid doesn't stand a chance). I told them that wasn't true according to NY law, and especially if they saw his last report...I could see them scrambling for it as I walked out. The super wrote his note exactly as I had instructed him to. :laugh:

Yeah I've been extremely careful with my paperwork.  Everything is thorough and submitted early.  Honestly, my plan is to bitch to the state education department if they don't give me that letter because there will be no good reason not to. 

I've been in the same district for going on 8 years now.  Unfortunately, we've been through three supers in that time and at least as many contact people.  At this point the district does not even respond to the parts they are supposed to respond to.  But I'm assuming they at least shove my paperwork into a folder somewhere. 

Yeah I've been extremely careful with my paperwork. Everything is thorough and submitted early. Honestly, my plan is to bitch to the state education department if they don't give me that letter because there will be no good reason not to.

I've been in the same district for going on 8 years now. Unfortunately, we've been through three supers in that time and at least as many contact people. At this point the district does not even respond to the parts they are supposed to respond to. But I'm assuming they at least shove my paperwork into a folder somewhere.

My district went through a number of supers. I had to resend all my older one,s paperwork at one point, several years worth of plans, approval letters, and portfolios. In theory, they keep them, but when I called to check, they were unable to track down the bits from one of the supers. Make and keep copies of everything. I have copies at my parents' house as well.

• Like 1

Peace,

Maura

Congrats to you for taking the time, despite your cynicism, to write the letter. I'm glad it will work for your son, and am hopeful the school will change the policy for everyone soon.

If any New Yorkers are interested in the letter I sent to the superintendent for ds #1, I'd be happy to send it to you. We have a pretty friendly district, but I do think we may have been the first to request the letter. I sent my request in the fall of his senior year, asking that they let me know if there was anything they would need from us in order to provide the letter in the spring. (YES - keep copies of everything! Backup your backups.)

Rather than be confrontational, I laid out the regs and why it was a no-brainer for them to provide the letter. I basically quoted Section 3.47(A) of the Rules of the Board of Regents along with the NYSED Q&A question 35.

Yeah I've been extremely careful with my paperwork. Everything is thorough and submitted early. Honestly, my plan is to bitch to the state education department if they don't give me that letter because there will be no good reason not to.

I've been in the same district for going on 8 years now. Unfortunately, we've been through three supers in that time and at least as many contact people. At this point the district does not even respond to the parts they are supposed to respond to. But I'm assuming they at least shove my paperwork into a folder somewhere.

So we are now on our third state for high school alone. I realized last week that while I had gotten a letter back for my middle schooler, I'd not had a response on my high schoolers. When I called I found out that the school couldn't find our paperwork or any record of receiving it. And of course it was the first time I'd ever not sent it return receipt required. Sigh.

So we are now on our third state for high school alone. I realized last week that while I had gotten a letter back for my middle schooler, I'd not had a response on my high schoolers. When I called I found out that the school couldn't find our paperwork or any record of receiving it. And of course it was the first time I'd ever not sent it return receipt required. Sigh.

I hand delivered my packets of paperwork every year because it seemed like a bad idea to mail it. Return receipt required would have been a good idea. In general I tried to be glad that we weren't high priority when things like that happened. When we hit high school and began looking at the college application process, I began being glad we lived in a state that required yearly paperwork. Funny how your perspective on these things changes.

I,ve always wondered how Mass. state colleges handle students from no paperwork states like Texas.

Nan