Menu

Things homeschoolers say that drive me crazy

For what it's worth when DS was in 4k I saw the warning signs of Dyslexia only I didn't know that's what they were. I pointed it out to his teachers and the school evaluators while making his IEP for Kindy. All told me it would be fine, don't fret, he has a high I.q. Etc. He is 11 now and reading is painful and stunted and he has severe dyslexia.

So you are right.....sometimes it is more.....but it's not just homeschoolers.

• Like 1

I can definitely relate to that, but it isn't just what homeschoolers say.  In our experience it was what people at a public and private school said.

It was only via homeschooling, and some homeschooling community contacts that I managed to discover that my ds had dyslexia and to find an excellent program for him.

• Like 2

For what it's worth when DS was in 4k I saw the warning signs of Dyslexia only I didn't know that's what they were. I pointed it out to his teachers and the school evaluators while making his IEP for Kindy. All told me it would be fine, don't fret, he has a high I.q. Etc. He is 11 now and reading is painful and stunted and he has severe dyslexia.

So you are right.....sometimes it is more.....but it's not just homeschoolers.

I can definitely relate to that, but it isn't just what homeschoolers say.  In our experience it was what people at a public and private school said.

It was only via homeschooling, and some homeschooling community contacts that I managed to discover that my ds had dyslexia and to find an excellent program for him.

What I've found in the schools is, even though there are the warning signs, many times children aren't evaluated until the 3rd grade (if they start at K, not at preschool with an IEP). The worst is when a child is suggested to hold back a grade, like in K, which makes the evaluation process even further away. When the child could receive earlier intervention, they don't because of their grade level. When I worked state prek, if I saw warning signs, I tried to get the child an evaluation or at least have a paper trail, because if not and something did turn out wonky, it could be years before they'd get the help they needed. I hated doing the label thing, but without it in the schools, things could slip through the cracks.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I like this board is that if the majority of people are saying, "relax" "just back off and wait" and so forth, you can usually trust that. :) This is definitely not a board where someone is going to hear about an older kid who can't do basic arithmetic and say, "It's all good! Don't worry!"

• Like 13

You need the

.  Beware - rudeness.

She'd never let you leave the house because you could lick your shoulder blades. Oh, lordy. We are laughing so hard.

Anyway... I hope I don't come off like the OP's concern. I feel there is a lot of pressure to get kids reading early. However I am rarely opposed to evaluation.

I am sorry for those made to feel like they were not right about their own kids.  :grouphug:

And my pet peeve is that when something doesn't apply to your kid, it's complete bunk.

Yes, my kid didn't have a problem reading.  And I support getting help for kids to read.  However, that doesn't make "right brained learning" bunk.  It was life-changing for us to realize that my kid IS a right brain learner, whole-to-parts thinker.  Requiring stories, color, humor, and pictures to learn.  So I'm happy that you never lost years of education trying to teach your kid in a way that didn't work for them.  That doesn't make it bunk.

Actually, what the research shows is that all kids benefit from seeing information presented in a variety of ways, rather than just getting straight textbook/lecture presentation as happens in many classrooms; the claims that there are "learning styles" and that each kid needs some individualized single-channel method of learning has really been thoroughly discredited.

Does that mean that some kids don't have some strengths and other kids don't have different ones?  Of course not!  But the fact that my one son seems to prefer learning by reading whereas the other one learns better through hands-on does not mean that they each don't benefit by getting some of the other learning as well.  In fact, both have begun learning better since I drew on the research and quite trying to let them be all one or the other, but did as the research suggested and give them both a mix of presentation.

No, it is not bunk.  Yes, kids are different; the research does not dispute that.  What the research disputes is the trend some educators were heading toward of extremism-- something homeschoolers would probably do well to avoid as well-- of thinking a particular child should learn all in one mode and only ever in that mode.  It may seem obvious, but there is strong data to back up the notion that the majority of children will learn best when presented information from a variety of modalities.

• Like 3