Menu

Planning DD's "Sweet 16" Birthday Party...

sheryl

DD turns 16 next month but we're having a party for her this Saturday b/c it will be a little cooler. 

We're holding it at her horseback riding instructor's house.  They live in the country and it is a beautiful, country setting.  Peaceful!

The party will be held outside and my question is the selection of food.  Is it enough?  There will be about 15 teens - 16 yo (boys and girls).

This is a themed "sweet" party so most/all of the foods will be sweet to the taste.   This is what I have -

~ homemade cupcakes

~ 7 bowls of candy (one bowl each of her faves:  3 musketeers, twix, m&m's, and so on)

~ thinking about a bowl of peanuts

Now, we're expecting to spend money but already we in to this for about $150 with a few decorations, paper products, etc.  Adding more food will increase the price.   Any suggestions?  Leave as is or serve more?

I was thinking pizza if there are any deals like a simple pepperoni for $5 per pie.  Or, pinwheels but I make these from time to time and can be expensive.  Veggies and dip and/or fruits.  Need something at the lower end $ and quick.

Ideas?

I don't know- I would have a lot more food, but I'm an over planner. My teens wouldn't eat the candy- well maybe one candy bar. I would have chips and salsa, some veggies with dip, some fruit, and some other hearty snack. I probably wouldn't have pizza, but that's just my weirdness. I think it would be fine. Will this be an active party? I would also have coolers of soft drinks and bottled water.

• Like 5

You don't have to provide a meal but I would have something savory in addition to the sweets.  Some chips and dip would be fine.  My kids love hummus and pita chips so they would choose that.  That also gives some protein.   

• Like 1

If you can find $5 subs (whatever the week's special is at Publix is my go-to) and cut them into fourths, those are usually well-received.  

Also, sloppy joe mix in a Crock-pot with slider buns is snack-like but will feed a lot of people cheaply.

• Like 2

Instead of peanuts I would do kettle corn (sweet!) and more likely to appeal to kids. It sounds like you have enough food, but if they are going to be doing a vigorous activity like capture the flag the pizza is a good idea. If they are just playing Mafia, or hanging out the food you have is probably fine.

• Like 1

3 hours with teens....yes, I would serve a savory snack.  Hungry kids can get grumpy and it would be nice to have happy memories.

Pizza or subs can be cheap and easy to serve. Throw in a few bags of chips and you can feed the whole lot for well under $40.

If you really don't want to do that, then at least add big bag of baby carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli/cauliflower florets with Ranch dip. and maybe a fruit salad to the table.  Just feeding them candy for 3 hours isn't going to leave anyone feeling very good afterwards.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  It's obvious there are a lot of sweets - it's a "sweet" 16 party.  Regarding the guests/teens - I'm not their Mom.  They know it's a sweet 16 and I'll not be serving lunch or dinner at the party.  By 2:00 (when they arrive) I'm hoping their Mom already fed them a good hearty breakfast and/or lunch!  :)

Still, earlier today DD and I realized it "is" a lot of sweets and we do need to put some protein in to the mix.  She opted for pizza and a veggie tray.  That sounds reasonable. 

I wanted to check here to see if there were any ideas we did not think of.  Oh, I forgot to mention I'm making "butterscotch haystacks" to further reflect the theme of the party.  It is being held at dd's horseback riding instructor's house.  She lives on a ranch in the country and has a beautiful area in which to entertain - complete with multi-tiered decks and outdoor kitchen!!!!!!! 

There will be food, music, talking and games like 3-legged race ( I bought 2 burlap sacks!) and horseshoes if they are available at the ranch.  Other than that, there will be photos taken at a photo booth and board/card games.  No horseback riding, no swimming in their pool.

I'm glad to hear you're adding more food. I think most party guests will assume there will be pizza or sandwiches in addition to dessert-type foods, as most birthday parties I have attended have included some kind of buffet even when there is no official "meal" involved. Also, the kids are going to be active, so they are going to get hungry.

They're teenagers. Being hungry is their job! :)

(I'm not sure where you got the idea that sweet 16 parties have "sweet" themes. That's a new idea to me. I think it's a cute idea, though!)

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear you're adding more food. I think most party guests will assume there will be pizza or sandwiches in addition to dessert-type foods, as most birthday parties I have attended have included some kind of buffet even when there is no official "meal" involved. Also, the kids are going to be active, so they are going to get hungry.

They're teenagers. Being hungry is their job! :)

(I'm not sure where you got the idea that sweet 16 parties have "sweet" themes. That's a new idea to me. I think it's a cute idea, though!)

ROTFL - I can't tell if you're serious about this or not!

• Like 1

Another easy thing for teens are taco rollups.

Mix 8 oz cream cheese softened with 1 can refried beans and 1 packet taco seasoning mix.

Spread on slightly warmed flour tortillas. Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese and roll up. Chill and cut into pinwheels or 1/3rds. Serve with or without salsa. These are always a huge hit at 4h teen activities.

Another easy thing for teens are taco rollups.

Mix 8 oz cream cheese softened with 1 can refried beans and 1 packet taco seasoning mix.

Spread on slightly warmed flour tortillas. Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese and roll up. Chill and cut into pinwheels or 1/3rds. Serve with or without salsa. These are always a huge hit at 4h teen activities.

ok, this sounds decent!  beans, cream cheese, seasoning, shredded cheese, shells and possibly salsa.  I always have these foods on hand.  thanks!

Oh my goodness.  No, invitations did not have candy on them.  And, no the photo booth doesn't either.  Hmmmm.  I'm surprised y'all haven't heard of this.  This is not my idea.  I copied it from someone else.  You know - "sweet 16" so why not play on that for most of the treats.  That's it - a treat party.

And, really the theme is not candy.  It's vintage/country.   I made a beautiful fabric/shabby chic banner.  About 5 ft. wide and 4 feet long.  We'll hang that against the upper deck wall.  Just something pretty to look at since that is really her theme.  At the ranch.  With horses frolicking in the meadow.  I'll be sure not to give the horses any candy!  :)

ok, this sounds decent! beans, cream cheese, seasoning, shredded cheese, shells and possibly salsa. I always have these foods on hand. thanks!

I buy my stuff at aldis and it is nice and cheap to make. I never have any to take home and several of the teens would always request I make them.

Oh my goodness.  No, invitations did not have candy on them.  And, no the photo booth doesn't either.  Hmmmm.  I'm surprised y'all haven't heard of this.  This is not my idea.  I copied it from someone else.  You know - "sweet 16" so why not play on that for most of the treats.  That's it - a treat party.

And, really the theme is not candy.  It's vintage/country.   I made a beautiful fabric/shabby chic banner.  About 5 ft. wide and 4 feet long.  We'll hang that against the upper deck wall.  Just something pretty to look at since that is really her theme.  At the ranch.  With horses frolicking in the meadow.  I'll be sure not to give the horses any candy!  :)

I have a 16yo daughter, so yes, I have heard of it.   But, I haven't heard of someone only serving sweets.  Any teen party that I have been to or my kids have gone to, have always had a savory snack.  PIzza, sandwiches, tacos, baked potato bar, hearty dips, sliders, hamburgers, chili etc.  It doesn't have to be the main theme of the party, just something to feed those who come hungry.

• Like 2

Tap,  I don't know what to say except maybe y'all do 16 yo sweet 16 parties differently.   But, this is not a teen party.  It's a sweet 16 birthday party.  My dd goes to plenty of teen parties and various foods are served.  Birthdays are different.  Hmmm.  :)   I hadn't heard of it until this past November when dd was invited to another girls sweet 16 where they, yes (heaven forbid), served all sweets.  I really don't see what the difference is when compared to a regular party where ONLY cake and ice cream are served.  At such parties there are no foods of redeeming nutritional value served.  I was surprised that the other girl did have only sweets for the same reasons.  So, that is why I asked for some ideas.  Still I like the taco roll up idea, thanks to Ottakee. 

You would think with a 35 yo and 30 yo niece I would have heard of these parties before now.   Maybe they are new since they their special 16. 

Tap,  I don't know what to say except maybe y'all do 16 yo sweet 16 parties differently.   But, this is not a teen party.  It's a sweet 16 birthday party.  My dd goes to plenty of teen parties and various foods are served.  Birthdays are different.  Hmmm.  :)   I hadn't heard of it until this past November when dd was invited to another girls sweet 16 where they, yes (heaven forbid), served all sweets.  I really don't see what the difference is when compared to a regular party where ONLY cake and ice cream are served.  At such parties there are no foods of redeeming nutritional value served.  I was surprised that the other girl did have only sweets for the same reasons.  So, that is why I asked for some ideas.  Still I like the taco roll up idea, thanks to Ottakee. 

You would think with a 35 yo and 30 yo niece I would have heard of these parties before now.   Maybe they are new since they their special 16. 

I think what is "standard" for a Sweet Sixteen varies based on family culture and to an extent location/community.  In our family culture, Sweet Sixteen parties are formal affairs so there is a multiple course catered meal with the dessert course usually based around the cake but also augmented by a dessert bar (fondue is big right now). I would say that this approach to Sweet Sixteen is also fairly common in our community just based on the parties we and/or our daughters have been invited to over the past five years. Personally I have not heard of a Sweet Sixteen party that consisted of only Cupcakes and Candy to keep with the "sweet" theme based on having friends with teen daughters or having two teen daughters of my own who have attended these things over the years.

As far as having a cake and icecream only birthday party I'm sure they happen (and to some extent I think when you do just cake and ice-cream at least you get some protein/fat from the ice cream to stave off a bit of the reactive hypoglycemia from all that sugar) but at least here they are more common for the under five crowd where parties may only last an hour because that is age appropriate.  Having said that, obviously it is your daughters  party and you are free to do whatever you want.  I can say that both of my own girls would be unlikely to eat the candy and ultimately would have likely been much happier if real food or at least something with some protein was provided. However, they would also recognize that it wasn't their party so it wasn't their choice and I don't see either of them being impolite about it. 

• Like 3

My daughter and a friend shared their sweet 16 party earlier this year.  The didn't really have a theme but they did have a "candy bar" which consisted of bowls of various kinds of candy.  They could eat it plain or over ice cream.   We saw a lot of candy bar ideas on various websites. There are a lot of 'sweet 16' themes around.

Her party was over dinner time so we had a meal.  If we had had it after dinner, which was my desire, we still would have had savory foods.   Even without an expectation of a meal people come to parties looking for food. 

• Like 1

Tap, I don't know what to say except maybe y'all do 16 yo sweet 16 parties differently. But, this is not a teen party. It's a sweet 16 birthday party. My dd goes to plenty of teen parties and various foods are served. Birthdays are different. Hmmm. :) I hadn't heard of it until this past November when dd was invited to another girls sweet 16 where they, yes (heaven forbid), served all sweets. I really don't see what the difference is when compared to a regular party where ONLY cake and ice cream are served. At such parties there are no foods of redeeming nutritional value served. I was surprised that the other girl did have only sweets for the same reasons. So, that is why I asked for some ideas. Still I like the taco roll up idea, thanks to Ottakee.

You would think with a 35 yo and 30 yo niece I would have heard of these parties before now. Maybe they are new since they their special 16.

The Sweet 16 party has been around forever. They are a coming of age party that has nothing to do with the food being served. The idea of serving 'sweets' is a party theme that plays on the double meaning of the word sweet. Internet searches reveal that the term sweet was in reference to the girl being sweet, kind, innocent and child like before the party, but culturally considered a woman after. The Sweet 16 party is just a name for the coming of age party, like a Quinceanera, Bat MItzvah Debutante, etc A Sweet 16 party is a teen party, just like any other teen birthday party. Traditionally, they are a bit on the bigger/grand scale just like other coming of age party. But, they are still just a teen party.

My mom went to them in the 1950's (they were very poor, so it wasn't a big party, just a little group of girls getting together). My sisters had a 'Sweet 16 Party' in the 1970s, I did in the '80s and there are culture references to them in the 1800's so they are not new or revived.

I guess, maybe it is more common in different regions or in different family cultures?

Eta: I wonder if there is just a miscommunication between us. I'm talking about a party for a 16 yo girl called a sweet 16, which is a party that can have any theme. Maybe when you say it you are specifically saying it like a theme and not referring to the more general culural term. Like a garage sale isn't necessarily in a garage.

• Like 2

Her party was over dinner time so we had a meal. If we had had it after dinner, which was my desire, we still would have had savory foods. Even without an expectation of a meal people come to parties looking for food.

Totally my experience as well. We were invited to a Christmas party once that started somewhat late; 7:00-7:30. The hostess was clearly thinking that being after the standard dinner hour meant no need to serve meal food. But people treated the cocktail food as a meal and I could see it frustrated the hostess. She exclaimed about all the cocktail meatballs being demolished in like twenty minutes. IMO, she didn't plan according to the way people think - people come to a party assuming there will be plenty of food.

I have seen other instances of this, too. One time I had a "Tea Party" theme for DD. People wanted more/different food and other beverages, though I wasn't counting on that because it was a TEA PARTY! My bad. I learned that people expect plentiful and varied food at any party, no matter what the theme is!

• Like 3

ime, the food can make or break the party, and there is no such thing as a party without actual food. I live in the south, though, where people would never, ever stop talking about you if you had a party and just served a few snacks  :lol:

Pizza is always popular, that's a good choice. The taco roll-ups someone mentioned always go quick at my house. I would throw in a few bags of chips as well, so the non-candy eaters have a snack also. 

I have seen plenty of "Sweet" 16 parties, but never a "sweets only" sweet 16 party. Usually the sweets are gathered on one table for effect, but there is plenty of other food. And I'm definitely not one of them, but unfortunately lots of people do eat lunch about 2 o'clock, because they eat dinner at 7 or 8. 

• Like 3

No party in the country is complete without Rotel dip and moon pies, in my opinion. Punch, finger sandwiches, pizza bites, lemons with peppermint sticks punched in them,

My mouth puckered when I read that! I haven't had one of those since childhood...miss that.

I have seen other instances of this, too. One time I had a "Tea Party" theme for DD. People wanted more/different food and other beverages, though I wasn't counting on that because it was a TEA PARTY! My bad. I learned that people expect plentiful and varied food at any party, no matter what the theme is!

:iagree:   Especially if this is a party where people are expected to show up at 2 and stay until the end.  If it's open house popcorn style with people just coming and going, I think you can get away with less.

I'm a parent who has a kid with gut issues that can't well tolerate sweets/empty carbs without some protein/fats to digest along with them.  She is also an athlete, so she can put away quite a bit of food.  I would thank you for the savory stuff.

ETA - I've never heard of a "SWEET" 16 party with this food thing going on either FTR.

• Like 3