Menu

Palin's speech was....

It seems ironic. We have, on one hand, a group of people who recommend Planned Parenthood pass out condoms at high schools and insist that abortion remain available for the entire pregnancy and solely as the woman's choice. We must offer all these things because "kids will just do it anyway" and abstinence is ridiculous and impossible.

Then we have a woman who chose to deliver and cherish a special needs child and also supports her teenage daughter who "did it anyway" and got pregnant, to keep her in the family and integrate her boyfriend rather than saving face with an abortion or concealment. They're not going to make the child within pay the price for the teenage parents' foolishness...and they are paying a considerable price for being honest in the face of such public scrutiny.

IMHO, I find the latter set of choices a far better way of dealing with what are, of course, very difficult situations.

Ftrst of all, I personally don't think abstinence is ridiculous and impossible. I think abstinence ONLY is ridiculous and impossible. Teens are going to have sex. They did it in the 20's, 30's, 40's... it is not going to stop.

Secondly, I want to apologize to all of the women reading this and other threads who have had an abortion, or whose teen/young adult daughters have had an abortion and are now having to read such judgmental comments.

I am glad Palin and her family made the decision they felt was best for their family. It doesn't mean it's what every family has to or should decide.

I deeply respect pro-life values. I even share some of them. But if I put myself in the shoes of a woman who has been through an abortion herself or one in her family, I also feel a deep respect, along with compassion.

Sure there are women who have abortions irresponsibly as birth control. There are also moms that sit their children in front of the TV all day and call it homeschooling. I don't think too many people would be in favor of passing laws that would prevent that.

ETA- this was not meant against the Op quoted above. However, I read comments like "murder" and "convenience" and "saving face" a lot and know that is not an accurate representation of all women who have abortions.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thread on the board about personal responsibility, and to a certain extent I agree, but this setup sure skews the information people have access to when they're trying to make decisions, no?

Also, I think it's very important to point out here that Reagan did us irreparable harm in the 80's by deregulating television. The lines between entertainment and advertising so blurred that people don't know what they're looking at anymore.

the banking regulations regarding housing and mortgages. He used to talk about everyone being able to own a house, and he pushed Congress to help make that happen. So the line between investment and mortgage banking was changed. Banks got really creative with how they structured loans to help people some of whom really weren't ready to own homes to take the plunge. Sure, some of these loans were predatory. But many of those financial agreements were just too thinly stretched and unrealistic. It's a huge shame. And I'm sure many of those early proponents wouldn't have seen that coming, including Clinton.

Just like the no child left behind early proponents wouldn't have dreamed that this testing to the test system would be the result.

Sometimes it's hard to tell where things will end up. Even good ideas can turn out with unseen results.

Saille...

Here is one more thing I can't understand. Some of the wealthiest people in the US are supporting Obama and his new programs, right? If he's only going to tax the *rich* and businesses, don't these people have the most to lose? How does Oprah think she is going to fare when her personal and business incomes get taxed more? And....if all those rich hollywood folks are so incredibly generous, why can't they live on $200,000/yr like us middle-income families? Would they support a candidate who *really* believed in the redistribution of wealth? They know that somehow the rich will stay rich, their companies won't go broke, and it will be left to the middle and lower income families to fend for ourselves. If big business gets taxed more to pay for more federal programs, rest assured that they will pass the savings on to us.

Years ago, I heard a guy being interviewed who had just been at a Democratic fundraiser. I think it was hosted by David Geffen (sp?) with a party full of high-profile celebrities and movie honchos. The guy being interviewed was in investments and said that all evening he was approached by more people than he could count taking him aside and asking him for help with this or that tax shelter, etc.

His point was that he was really surprised. The idealism that was publicly professed was much different than what he saw being privately expressed by these very rich people for their democratic candidate.

iow, saying one thing and doing another. It was interesting that he was willing to speak up about it. I doubt that in this blingbling culture much has changed.

Hollywood celebs still go for the Dem candidates in great number, still hold their $100,000 birthday parties, and still want to keep their hard-earned money to themselves. Very few people are out there doing the Bill Gates or Warren Buffet thing. Oprah may be funding a school (very admirable) because she sees those girls as much more appreciative and in need of her efforts than American kids, but she still has plenty of luxuries. And why not? She's earned them. She's a CEO after all, who came from humble origins like many business owners did -- it's part of what's spurred them to great heights. It's just that the culture and country that enabled her to do what she's done will not be possible with the stifling policies she's supporting now.

So I'm a bit tired of hearing Hollywood celebs and rich elitists who have lost touch with day-to-day life tell us to drive hybrids and air dry our laundry and use one sheet of toilet paper.