Menu

Palin's speech was....

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am left feeling disgusted and scared after listening to Guiliani's intro. Scary if that is what it comes down to.

Palin was astounding. Has the charisma and vigour and oratorical skills that her boss lacks. She is certainly interesting, but their threats are downright scary (to me).

I am left feeling disgusted and scared after listening to Guiliani's intro. Scary if that is what it comes down to.

Palin was astounding. Has the charisma and vigour and oratorical skills that her boss lacks. She is certainly interesting, but their threats are downright scary (to me).

Could be the phrasing that you object to. :D

I loved her speech. I loved her enthusiasm, her fiestiness, her drive, her humor and her amazing ability to rally that crowd (and the unseen crowd too).

But, I just have to say, because it was so darn cute and dh and I couldn't stop laughing at the innocence of it, we loved watching her youngest daughter (Piper?) licking her palm to smooth down her baby brother's hair! So, so precious! LOL!! Did anyone else see that? We were watching the CBS network.

While I still don't care for John McCain (or Obama), I am thoroughly impressed with Sarah. Can't we just skip the men and elect her for President?

I missed it!!! :glare:

Parrothead and I were on the phone and I was IM'ing Mommaduck....

Oh well...I will have to go find it so I can watch it.

That way I will be able to intelligently participate in the scintillating conversation that the WTM Ladies will have regarding her speech.........:D

It is always interesting to read the political thoughts that get tossed around here......My kids are learning great debate skills from reading all the political threads......

Keep it nice when coming out of your corners Ladies.......:lurk5:

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

But, I just have to say, because it was so darn cute and dh and I couldn't stop laughing at the innocence of it, we loved watching her youngest daughter (Piper?) licking her palm to smooth down her baby brother's hair! So, so precious! LOL!! Did anyone else see that? We were watching the CBS network.

That was great! I literally LOL!

Giuliani's speech left me wondering why the party is intent on chasing away the moderate vote.

I liked Governor Palin. Not particularly the content of her speech, though I didn't have an excessive number of strong objections, but I really like her personality.

Could be the phrasing that you object to. :D

Hmmmm, let me not get started. Suffice it to say that Saddam H. and bin L. never ever would have had any contact (and this anyone with some peripheral cultural/religious knowledge of Arabs and Muslims would know). So the whole base (for the war) is way off which leads back to the threat of "Islamic terrorists" (and no, those bastards from 9/11 were not "God-fearing" Muslims).

To me, this is all racism and that got exuberated when Giuliani mentioned small-town mayor and religion.....Let's all be Christian together and fight those Islamic terrorists. Now, do you think all the work Muslims like me have done over the last 7 years is going to mean a thing tomorrow? All those bridges we have crossed and all those extra smiles we have had to give (even on crappy days) just to always appear oh, so peaceful and what not because suddenly we have to reverse the image of us that is always being cast in the limelight??

I can promise you that my air-space will be easier to breathe in and out if we do not get a republican president. Get those brave men and women home and let's all start healing (while of course now providing a firm structure to the ruined country which is in shackles and has been for a while).

P.S. Do not put in my mouth that I ever condoned of someone like Saddam who was a living monster of which kind we have several, still sitting on self-imposed thrones, but not being an immediate threat or annoyance to the US.

P.P.S. Sorry, if this got too political, but honestly someone has to present an opposing view.

I loved her speech. I loved her enthusiasm, her fiestiness, her drive, her humor and her amazing ability to rally that crowd (and the unseen crowd too).

While I still don't care for John McCain (or Obama), I am thoroughly impressed with Sarah. Can't we just skip the men and elect her for President?

LOL, yes, dh and I were laughing like crazy when we saw that! That was so adorable. Both Obama and Palin have gorgeous children, that is for sure.

I loved her speech. I was rooting for her, and she really delivered. I hope that people will give her a chance, and not let all the negative press prejudice them against her and the ticket without at least listening first. I think many moderates could find quite a bit to like about the McCain-Palin ticket.

Erica

"Islamic terrorists" (and no, those bastards from 9/11 were not "God-fearing" Muslims).

:grouphug:

Just as a sincere appeal, can we please give our friend Nadia the right as a devout Muslim woman to express her opinion here without reprisal and outrage? She views these words from a unique perspective.

And yes, I flinched at that phrase, as I knew all it's implications in this particular speech. We've been using accurate and descriptive qualifiers for a long time time. "Extremist" and "fanatics" and other accurate terms. And this is not typical Giuliani fare. I'm sad for him.

Giuliani's speech left me wondering why the party is intent on chasing away the moderate vote.

I liked Governor Palin. Not particularly the content of her speech, though I didn't have an excessive number of strong objections, but I really like her personality.

She's been working with a voice coach, I'd bet on it. Good work, there. Her tone never got shrill as I've seen in previous recordings of her speaking.

I heard a commentator say that if Giuliani's speeches had been this way in the primary he might have gone farther. I completely disagree though, that they are chasing away the moderates. It is McCain who will be president (if he wins, of course :)) not Palin and he *is* a moderate on most things - certainly not anywhere near the kind of conservative most conservatives want. He has had a lukewarm welcome from them since his win. Certainly Palin, the more conservative one by far, is "one heartbeat" away, but how often do presidents die in office? JM is really not *that* old. My goodness - he is very spry. All my grandparents have lived well beyond 72 (and some are turning 90 this year!)

I think the Republicans know that many conservatives will not support McCain unless he *has* a conservative VP. All the conservative blogs, etc. I read have discussed this. I think choosing her was the wisest move they have made thus far. I just hope the rumor media frenzy surrounding her dies down. Will she have any affect on his policies? That remains to be seen, but the JM camp do see their base is made of up conservative folks so it would be wise to at least give the offering of a conservative VP.

This is one interesting election. :D

New make up, redone hair, expensive suit (no you don't see those in Alaska) and a speech writer. I thought she was a wee bit nasty sounding. :)

The word that kept going through my head was catty. Is the VP candidate usually so catty?

In my old life of voting straight Republican I never really listened to any of the speeches. I did not need to as my mind was made up from the get-go. Is it normal for the VP candidate to tear into the opposing party like that? I guess I was expecting a speech only about what they can do for America and not about what is wrong with the other guys.

I am so ashamed to admit that I never watched this stuff before. I just voted for whoever AFA told me to vote for. :001_huh:

That little girl is so precious, and those moments of her with her brother were adorable.

I thought Obama's youngest daughter was such a hoot during his speech too. The look on her face when he called Michelle the "love of my life" was so sweet. Her face lights up a room.

LOL, did you see the night he was on-screen via satellite and couldn't say a word, because every time he tried she'd holler, "Daddy! Hi, Daddy!" and it would disrupt his audio. He couldn't figure out the timing. It was very normal, and totally adorable.

Dh and I laughed ourselves sick over the spit bath.

Would this make you feel any better? At least in how to go about voting?

Disclaimer: I in *no way* advocate this. I just think it's funny (and sad at the same time). Please, *please* don't take offense to this. It's posted in good humor only! Read the "about" page too.

Nervously hitting the "enter" key and running...

The word that kept going through my head was catty. Is the VP candidate usually so catty?

In my old life of voting straight Republican I never really listened to any of the speeches. I did not need to as my mind was made up from the get-go. Is it normal for the VP candidate to tear into the opposing party like that? I guess I was expecting a speech only about what they can do for America and not about what is wrong with the other guys.

I am so ashamed to admit that I never watched this stuff before. I just voted for whoever AFA told me to vote for. :001_huh:

LOL, Kelli, have you listened to Joe Biden? It's hard to imagine a more attack dog like persona in modern politics. It does sound different coming from a woman (who ever refers to a man as "catty"?), but it's no different from what candidates normally do at their conventions. I think Palin pulled off her jabs with a hint of humor, that took the edge off just enough.

Erica

LOL, Kelli, have you listened to Joe Biden? It's hard to imagine a more attack dog like persona in modern politics. It does sound different coming from a woman (who ever refers to a man as "catty"?), but it's no different from what candidates normally do at their conventions. I think Palin pulled off her jabs with a hint of humor, that took the edge off just enough.

Erica

Honestly, I have not. I did not catch his speech during the Dems convention and I have had a head in the sand approach to politics until this go around.

Tomorrow I will pull Mr. Biden up on youtube (unless I find it at one of the news sources) and listen carefully.

And, I am a visual person not an audio person. So in all fairness I will pull up the transcript of Mrs. Palin's speech tomorrow and try reading it.

I have been using Mr. Obama's speech as penmanship for my 13 year old all week. I plan to do the same with Mr. McCain's speech next week.

Oh, see I don't think so. I think she was utterly nasty. Nasty with a smile is a brand I particularly distrust. I didn't see those as zingers, I saw them as the stuff I'd been so very grateful to Obama for not doing. He extended courtesy to her on Monday when the press started tearing into her over Bristol. You'd think she could disagree without being openly rude.

I actually didn't listen to Biden's speech last week, so I don't know if his approach was the same as what I am used to hearing from him. It's possible that if Obama means what he says about the level of discourse in politics, he may have Biden on a much shorter leash than he is used to. But the Joe Biden that I have known over the years is a very harsh, opinionated guy when it comes to his opponents. Palin's words tonight were so tame compared to what he's said in the past!

But I do think he'll be in a pickle when the two have to debate, because clearly she is strong and isn't afraid to make a pointed jabs-- and I think that if he does the same right back, people might think badly of him because he's addressing a woman. There shouldn't be that double standard, but the same thing happened to Rick Lazio in NY when he was debating Hillary Clinton for the Senate seat. People didn't like seeing a woman talked to harshly, and though he was no harsher to her than she to him, that was the beginning of the end of his campaign.

Erica

Hmmmm, let me not get started. Suffice it to say that Saddam H. and bin L. never ever would have had any contact (and this anyone with some peripheral cultural/religious knowledge of Arabs and Muslims would know). So the whole base (for the war) is way off which leads back to the threat of "Islamic terrorists" (and no, those bastards from 9/11 were not "God-fearing" Muslims).

To me, this is all racism and that got exuberated when Giuliani mentioned small-town mayor and religion.....Let's all be Christian together and fight those Islamic terrorists. Now, do you think all the work Muslims like me have done over the last 7 years is going to mean a thing tomorrow? All those bridges we have crossed and all those extra smiles we have had to give (even on crappy days) just to always appear oh, so peaceful and what not because suddenly we have to reverse the image of us that is always being cast in the limelight??

I can promise you that my air-space will be easier to breathe in and out if we do not get a republican president. Get those brave men and women home and let's all start healing (while of course now providing a firm structure to the ruined country which is in shackles and has been for a while).

P.S. Do not put in my mouth that I ever condoned of someone like Saddam who was a living monster of which kind we have several, still sitting on self-imposed thrones, but not being an immediate threat or annoyance to the US.

P.P.S. Sorry, if this got too political, but honestly someone has to present an opposing view.

:grouphug: So sorry to you and all the Muslims who have to suffer through the nonsense they cause with things like this. I'm sure you know a big reason for this is all the misinformation the Republicans are trying to spread that Obama is Muslim, although I also know that doesn't help.

And, to those who think this is not typical of Giuliani--I think this is completely typical of him. As a native New Yorker, I have heard his prejudiced comments for years, seen him choose to upgrade parts of NY so that the rich would have places for themselves, while pushing the poor farther out--cleaning up parts of Manhattan, while pushing vermin, etc, into Harlem and the Bronx, etc. Don't ask the rich in NY, ask the poor, the minorities about Giuliani, and you will see what he has really done, and how he really is.

The usual job of the VP IS to be the attack dog for the president. They're there to say all the things the president wants to say but can't.

I'd say that Sarah Palin is going to be very good at her job.:tongue_smilie:

I have been using Mr. Obama's speech as penmanship for my 13 year old all week. I plan to do the same with Mr. McCain's speech next week.

The next week, he'll need to do copywork with this. :001_smile: Then back to equal time to Sen. McCain after that!

Oh, and the hyperlink that is at the web page above goes to a Time blog that has some of the transcript. I can't find a transcript of the whole thing, though.

I completely disagree though, that they are chasing away the moderates. It is McCain who will be president (if he wins, of course )

Oh, yes. I understand who's actually running for the office of president.

Still, each man or woman who stands on that stage over these four days has been carefully chosen to represent the party.

Speaking as an undecided moderate, I think Giuliani was a poor choice. If anything, his speech made me a bit less likely to cast my vote in the R column come November.

:grouphug:

Just as a sincere appeal, can we please give our friend Nadia the right as a devout Muslim woman to express her opinion here without reprisal and outrage? She views these words from a unique perspective.

And yes, I flinched at that phrase, as I knew all it's implications in this particular speech. We've been using accurate and descriptive qualifiers for a long time time. "Extremist" and "fanatics" and other accurate terms. And this is not typical Giuliani fare. I'm sad for him.

I didn't see every speech but I did see Guilani's and Palin's. I didn't witness any racism or overt/covert appeals to christians only. My perspective is not muslim but is it any of less value than Osmosis Mom's? As if I would belong to a racist party. Republicanism does not equal racism. Just ask Darrell Issa.

"Islamic terrorists" is a description of the perpetrators, not a some kind of racist torrent. These terrorists describes themselves as devout Muslims. To mention what they are is not racist nor is it an attack on Osmosis Mom or other Muslims. If the terrorists were Hindu, speeches would be made referring to Hindu terrorists.

I found her extremely catty. I was shocked at how she attacked Obama, and found it completely inappropriate--but she couldn't really talk about issues she has no experience with, I suppose. So, she was instead petty and inaccurate--Obama wants to FORFEIT the war in Iraq? Please!

I was hoping she would go out there and be a wonderful representative of women, and I was horrible disappointed. First, she wasn't the writer of the speech, as she had stated over days. Second, she showed herself to be what she seemed to be at first--a small town woman, but, what I didn't expect, a small minded woman.

IMHO, while Obama was gracious on Monday when her daughter's situation was revealed, his "mayor of a small town" statement was petty and opened the door for a lot of what was said tonight.

What was petty about it? She said so herself. And she WAS a mayor of a small town. And he WAS a community activist.

It's not petty, it just... is.

??

(Am I missing a bit of what you're saying there? I feel like you mean something I'm not getting when you say it was petty that he said that. I will go try to find his statement from Monday, and I'll bet all will be clear. :auto:)