Menu

I want to make wine!

anmom

Totally random but I've been thinking about making my own wine. I could use a hobby and I like to drink 😂 enough said!

I've done a Google search but there are so many mixed reviews on how to start. So I'm asking you! Anyone have experience?

Well my kids left their lunch in our suburban for about three weeks. I'm pretty sure we made a solid facsimile of prison wine out of whatever was originally in that bag?

Well my kids left their lunch in our suburban for about three weeks. I'm pretty sure we made a solid facsimile of prison wine out of whatever was originally in that bag?

Hilarious! That might be the highlight of my night!

I've made wine before... 2x.  I used to have a sour cherry tree and made wine with that.   It's been more than 10yrs so I can't remember everything.. but you will need some supplies that aren't cheap.  But, otherwise it's really not that hard to make wine... it's more setting it up and waiting for it to ferment. 

• Like 1

My aunts make traditional Chinese rice wine at home. It is hard to find the ingredients if you are not near asian supermarkets.

I made wine from fermented fruit pulp in 11th grade using the school's chemistry lab. We ask the fruit juice seller for the fruit pulp. Add a packet of yeast to the pulp in a big airtight container. Three days later run a distillation lab to distill out the alcohol. It was fun and my high school lecturers were amused. (It was an afterschool science club activity proposed by me)

ETA:

You can also ferment apple juice to make alcoholic apple cider.

My husband makes wine.  He bought a starter kit from Amazon.  We have some grape vines in the back yard (we have a microscopic back yard).  He usually uses those, but there are certainly other things you can buy and use depending on how much you want to make.  He makes a small amount.   The kit even came with a recipe book.

• Like 1

Depending where you live you can buy fruit from farmers in your area in quantities for wine.

In college I had friends who worked in the college microbiology building who made wine in their lab. :lol: Their professor made champagne from peaches that was just amazing. I would buy that champagne. It was delicious.

• Like 1