Menu

Dr. Hive: Please tell me your gallbladder symptoms

trulycrabby

Hello, I have been having right upper and lower quadrant abdominal pain for the last few months. Also, I have had bloating, pain with palpation, and rebound pain. Recent unrelated blood work showed normal white blood cells, so it is probably not chronic appendicitis. Bilirubin is normal. I had a colonoscopy last summer, polyps removed, no cancer. I have tenderness upon palpation right under my liver, and a sharp, pinching pain in my right rib area after a meal. No nausea or vomiting.

Anyhow, I am beginning to suspect gallbladder due to location and it's such a common issue. If you have had gallbladder issues, would you please describe your symptoms?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice! :)

I have had gallbladder issues for about 15 years. I've never had a test come back positive for stones or decreased gallbladder function. My internist believes I probably have a lot of gallbladder "sludge" built up. I know it's controversial and many consider it quackery, but I have done multiple gallbladder "cleanses" with great success. And I don't just mean success with regards to what has "come out" in the toilet. (Please forgive me!) About a year after the onset of the pain, I began doing the Hulda Clark liver/gallbladder cleanse every 2 weeks to 1 month. I continued doing so (probably in the neighborhood of 10 times) until the pain was completely gone and I had completed 2 cleanses with no visible results in the toilet. At this point, you're supposed to repeat the cleanse twice annually, indefinitely. I felt completely better, and didn't bother with the cleanses for about 8 years because my symptoms were completely gone. Then they returned. I've done several cleanses since then, but have only ever done 2-3 in a row, just enough to feel better, but not get completely well. Again, I know this is considered quackery by some. I've seen all the online arguments. I know that the pain for me vanished for years, and I know when I go through the whole process, I feel much better. It's just kind of a pain to do, though.

As far as symptoms, I have right upper quadrant discomfort. Usually not stabbing pain, but I do get the occasional stabbing pain. I've never had what I think is a classic gallbladder attack. Never been to the ER or anything like that. The pain is definitely worse after eating certain foods. Sometimes it's a dull ache, sometimes it's a pinching sensation, sometimes it's a very full feeling. It's often accompanied by upper right shoulder blade pain, which is a classic gallbladder symptom. When I had a laparoscopic procedure a few years ago, my ob/gyn happened to mention that my gallbladder appeared enlarged. I wasn't surprised. In order for stones to show up on imaging, they have to attain to a certain size and be calcified, as I understand it. It's possible to have a great deal of sludge or "gravel" clogging up the gallbladder. When I have gone long periods between cleanses, I start to have pain shooting down my right leg and hip along with the upper right quadrant pain. I personally think that with my gallbladder being enlarged, there are some nerve issues involved, and that it sometimes presses on other things, causing pain on that side of my body from my back down through my legs. Just a hypothesis.

What I take that helps (besides doing the cleanses!):

AF Betafood by Standard Process. Just google this as it relates to gallbladder issues, and I think you'll be impressed by what you read. It makes a noticeable difference for me.

Gold Coin Grass: I purchase this online from Canada from Prime Health Products

Ox Bile from nutricology. Read the reviews on amazon and see if you think this might help. 

There are lots of folks out there with gallbladder issues, and a whole host of supplements that different people have found helpful. Consider doing one of the cleanses. If you decide to take that route, feel free to PM me for more information. Good luck!

• Like 1

I felt dizzy/lightheaded for a week.  Then I became violently nauseated.  After three days of misery I knew a hospital visit was in order.  (I have had salmonella twice (developing countries), and the sensation was different.  It was apparent something was really wrong.)   :grouphug:

• Like 1

I have a slightly low functioning gallbladder (no stones).  When it's acting up I have pain under the bottom rib on my right side.  It can be anywhere from a dull ache to sharp shooting pain.  It's worse if I eat too much fat, and I often have mild to moderate queasiness along with the pain.

• Like 1

My mom had symptoms like yours. Ultrasound showed stones. She had it removed....

My dh on the other hand had a couple of years worth of being nauseous every morning especially the last three months to the point he couldn't get out of bed. Ultrasound showed no stones. Function test ( which took an act of Comgress to get ordered) showed 30% function....barely on the line where docs will take it out. However when it was removed it was found to be severely diseased...the surgeon said it was the worst he had seen.

Dh was MUCH better after his was removed. He was able to go back to work within two weeks after being off work for 3 months. He does have to watch his diet a bit.....but not too much really.

• Like 1

I'm having my gallbladder out tomorrow.  I've had a few attacks, one that landed me in the hospital with them thinking I was having a heart attack (I was pretty sure it wasn't that!).  They were all acute, were intensely painful, felt like I couldn't breathe well, very tender under ribcage, etc.  Ultrasound confirmed slightly thickened wall and many "pebbles" of stones.  And so out it comes tomorrow.

However, the main pain I was having was actually  my stomach.  My doctor has me on a regimen to help that calm down and it should take a month for the main part of the protocol and up to six months til I'm done with it.  Stinks, but it's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.  

AND while doing the CT scan and the ultrasound they found a few other things to check out.  

Better safe than sorry.  Get checked out!

I'm having my gallbladder out tomorrow. I've had a few attacks, one that landed me in the hospital with them thinking I was having a heart attack (I was pretty sure it wasn't that!). They were all acute, were intensely painful, felt like I couldn't breathe well, very tender under ribcage, etc. Ultrasound confirmed slightly thickened wall and many "pebbles" of stones. And so out it comes tomorrow.

However, the main pain I was having was actually my stomach. My doctor has me on a regimen to help that calm down and it should take a month for the main part of the protocol and up to six months til I'm done with it. Stinks, but it's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

AND while doing the CT scan and the ultrasound they found a few other things to check out.

Better safe than sorry. Get checked out!

Wishing you an easy surgery and quick recovery! :)

My pain was in the center, right under the ribcage. It was the worst pain I've ever felt, I was rocking back and forth in tears waiting for the attacks to pass. Finally it was so bad that I drove myself to the ER in the middle of the night (I just woke DH, told him I was taking his car and he would have to come and pick me up in the morning). I've given birth unmedicated 6 times and would rather do that every single day than go through another gallbladder attack.

• Like 2

Intense pain. 

I had a couple of attacks when pregnant with baby #2, and by the time he was 9 months old, I was having 2-3 attacks per week.  They'd last 4-8 hours of this awful pain (worse than labor).  I waited it out for a long time, hoping it would get better (trying to make it to a new calendar year because of the deductible).  When my eyes turned yellow, I went in.  I was hospitalized for 5 days for pancreatitis, and when they got that calmed down, I had the surgery.

Don't be like me.  :)

• Like 1

For a while I felt generally ill. Then when everyone else had some GI bug, vomited and recovered, I puked bile all day until I couldn't stand. When I finally ate again two days later it was clear something was wrong. I had a full blown attack- severe pain in the right side just under my rib cage, super tender. The first step is you should get in for an abdominal ultrasound. I consider myself lucky in having sludge rather than stones. If you have stones pretty much you will be told to take out your gallbladder. With sludge I have instead completely revised my diet to vegan, cutting fat entirely. I cannot eat nuts. I cannot cook with oils. So far only soybean oil does not make me sick. I was a whole milk, butter, chocoholic so this is painfully life changing and I am only a week and a half in. I have not found any evidence based studies showing cleansing works, but I have added drinking lemon/ginger water to my diet. Not sure Apple cider vinegar is doable yet. Blech.

Get the ultrasound so you know what's going on. Meanwhile, have you tried antacids? Use Prilosec for a week and see if it helps. On the bright side, I have heard a couple of people IRL who had their gallbladder removed and life went back to normal. Good luck.

• Like 1

I always thought it was painful gas that wouldn't go away and was under my ribs.  I was totally clueless that it was my gallbladder until I thought I had food poisoning that wouldn't go away.  Heh, whoops.

I likely had other 24 hour vomiting issues because of it that I always assumed was food poisoning. #stupid  But those only happened a handful of times spread throughout years.

When it was taken out my surgeon told my husband it was a mess and he didn't even know how I was standing up and functioning.  But it never truly bothered me until the weekend before the surgery (and I didn't know it was my gallbladder until that weekend in the ER).

• Like 1

I had one attack. I thought it was gas pain at first. Over the next two hours it progressed to such an excruciating pain that I was vomiting and curled up in the fetal position writhing around because nothing would relieve it at all. I was taken to the ER and given pain meds. Ultrasound revealed stones. This pain lasted for 8 hours. I wasn't about to ever go through that nightmare again so I had it out a few weeks later. Surgery was an absolute breeze....easier than a root canal. I was walking 20 minutes after I woke from anesthesia and didn't need pain meds. And I've had no after effects at all.

• Like 2

I woke up this morning and remembered I have been having reoccurring dreams where my mouth is full of very small stones, so I spit them out, then my mouth is full of the tiny stones again. The cycle of stones and spitting keeps repeating until I wake up. Think my mind/body might be trying to tell me something?

I will try prilose, lemon/gnger, and apple cider vinegar (yummy) until my apointment. :)

I didn't realize I was having problems. I was hospitalized for gastroenteritis (bacterial infection), and in the process of their checking out all possibilities, the sonogram showed the gallbladder full of sludge (the surgeon showed it to me afterward :P ). I had the surgery the next week. I had been asked if I had problems with indigestion, etc., and hadn't noticed any. However, after it was removed, I felt better than I had in awhile and realized that I had had feelings of indigestion a lot more than I realized. I have had no problems whatsoever since removal 13 years ago.