Menu

homeschool diploma need to meet state standards?

Does the diploma I issue to my child have to meet the standards of my state?  Our state requires an environmental science course, but that might not fit in our plans.  Thanks.

Ashley

Not unless your state laws specifically address homeschool graduation requirements, and the majority of states do not.

Not a requirement in my state.

I did look at the state requirements for what they call the "advanced diploma," and mine exceed that in terms of where the credits fit. My details are a little different, but the categories match (i.e. 4 years of English, 4 years of lab science, etc.).

Here's what I found...

The State of North Carolina does not issue a diploma for home schooled students.  Each non-public school student receives his/hers from the chief administrator of the school in which the student is enrolled which, in a home school setting, would be from the parent/guardian. 

So it sounds like I decide what qualifies for earning a diploma.  Right??

Ashley

• Like 1

Here's what I found...

The State of North Carolina does not issue a diploma for home schooled students.  Each non-public school student receives his/hers from the chief administrator of the school in which the student is enrolled which, in a home school setting, would be from the parent/guardian. 

So it sounds like I decide what qualifies for earning a diploma.  Right??

Ashley

Yes.