Menu

World History Questions

OK. Here's my question:  If the Islamic empire grew to be larger in size than the Roman empire, why did they not have trouble defending such a large mass of land like the Romans?

If I'm weak in history, where do I turn for the answer?  Is their a comprehensive website on world history?  Do you go to the author of the book that makes the statement?  History buffs would be an obvious answer, but how do I get in contact with someone?  Any BTDT advice?

OK. Here's my question:  If the Islamic empire grew to be larger in size than the Roman empire, why did they not have trouble defending such a large mass of land like the Romans?

If I'm weak in history, where do I turn for the answer?  Is their a comprehensive website on world history?  Do you go to the author of the book that makes the statement?  History buffs would be an obvious answer, but how do I get in contact with someone?  Any BTDT advice?

For something like this, it is a more general understanding type question (and even one that historians could ponder and debate about most likely) not a simple factual question.

In times past I would have gone to Britannica encyclopedia, which I had as actual books at home, but alas got rid of thinking nowadays internet would take the place of that. I might still go to it on internet, or another encyclopedia to get an understanding of these 2 civilizations.

I also might go to a single volume source such as a National Geographic World History source.  

And, I would read up about both of the things you are trying to compare.

Let me ask you some socratic type questions that I think may be pertinent to finding the answer.

Is the "Islamic Empire" an entity in the same way as the "Roman Empire" was?  That is, did what you are calling the "Islamic Empire" have a central government and a single military to try to maintain power over a huge geographic region?  What exactly is the "Islamic Empire"? What was its rulership structure? What was its military structure?

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply.

The question was one that my child posed to me while listening to Story of the World, vol 2.  Once he asked it, I immediately realized my inadequate knowledge of the subject and that it wasn't a black-and-white topic.  So, I told him I didn't know and that we'd have to research the answer.  But then I realized that I didn't even know where to begin searching.  :(   So your questions are a great place for me to start investigating to begin to piece together a response.  

But I also wonder if my son is too young to care about all the reasons, and he just wants a quick response to the question.  Sort of like when a young child asks why the sky is blue.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?  Do you research the answer on your own and then later come back with an answer (which in reality could take a while)?  Do you leave it as a reply of I-don't-know-the-answer?  Do you have the child research it?  (I'm not sure the child has the stamina or the interest to really do this.)  If the child researches it, what sources should he use (I think you already answered it in the previous post.)?

Obviously my child is starting to make these connections on his own, so I can see this kind of problem occuring more frequently in the future.  How do I handle non-black-and-white questions with young, but maturing, children? 

Oh, someone just give me an algebra problem to solve!  It would be so much easier and straight-forward for me!!!!  :D

I can't see your link, but for example, Visual World History by Douglas Brinkly.  I may be slightly off on author name spelling.

I'd tend to do the research to answer the question with a child, but also at that age try to keep it reasonably simple, unless the child is pressing for more.

As you can probably guess from the questions I asked you, I think the basic answer to your son's question is that the Islamic Empire was not a single unified entity, but rather as it grew huge, a number of autonomous regions, none of which in itself was that enormous.  But also, reasons for Rome falling apart did not only have to do with invasion from without, but from falling apart from within. 

What exactly did SOTW say, btw.?